PDA

View Full Version : turning laptop into desktop

zwies
29-07-2011, 03:07 AM
here be some info first

the laptop in question is an HP pavillion DV5 1209ax.
it is currently sitting on a wooden shelf unit.
have motherboard risers to keep it off the shelf.
it works well enough, getting 66c under load and about 54c idle.

stock fan has broken fins, which makes it unbalanced and rather noisy when at full speed.
monitor, keyboard and DVD drive have been removed as no longer required.

what I would like to know is, would I be able to remove the stock fan, which uses heat pipes from the CPU and GPU,
and replace it with either 1 200mm fan, or possibly 2 80mm fans. one per unit. will be putting it in a custom built wooden case.
so would need in out air flow over either where the current fan is, which passes air over the heat pipes.
or possibly just have airflow going over the CPU and GPU (entire Motherboard.)

I'm assuming that removing the heat sink assembly completely would be out of the question.

SolMiester
29-07-2011, 09:49 AM
I believe you can use any heat sink and fan combo you like, as long as they have good contact and is enough to cool the cpu

Nomad
29-07-2011, 10:44 AM
do you know where the hsf is? and which way the fan is facing?

some laptops have the cpu upside down (like the ram slots) so the fan is on the bottom of the laptop presuming so the keyb does not get too hot. if so, you need to remove the bottom plastic case of the laptop:D or knock a big hole thru it.

Nomad
29-07-2011, 12:04 PM
assuming you mean a desktop PC's HSF. do you know where to attach the power connector? if you are gonna use a desktop PC's PSU seems like a hassle. cos you need power for the laptop and this other PSU.

zwies
29-07-2011, 03:24 PM
the heat sink that is currently on the board has 3 mount points, triangular in shape. so securing an after market one may prove difficult, shall have to look into it.

The stock cooler set up has the CPU and GPU on the underside of the board. with the fan out to the side.
the fan brings air in through the bottom and blows it out through the back and side of the original case.

Plastic case is long gone. well sitting elsewhere. have salvaged some brass motherboard spacers from an old computer to keep it off the desk.
so at the moment, the board is up side down. will have to flip it right side up if I wanted the dvd drive plugged in.

Here is a picture. sorry that it sucks, no flash on camera.
Board layout picture (http://wolfgaard.dlinkddns.com/boardlayout.jpg)

Paul.Cov
29-07-2011, 07:55 PM
In my opinion you should be fine if you just arrange for airflow across the board, preferably exiting from the case at the GPU/CPU end.

Laptop fans are pretty mediocre, so a regular fan near these components venting the entire case should suffice.

Ideally keep the case faily shallow so that there's a greater volume of air passing over the components, or construct a cardboard or plastic channel from the hot components to the body of the fan to ensure there's adequate flow where it's needed most.

I assume you're just gonna pop the laptops PSU into the case, so you'll be lacking the usual Desktop PSU cooling fan - yet another reason to ensure this fan is venting the hot air to the outside, and not just recirculating it around the inside.

zwies
29-07-2011, 11:49 PM
yeah was planning on mounting the power socket on the edge of the case, as with sound, the power cord on the mother board side is about 10cm long.
so it will give me some room to place it where I choose, the power unit will not be sitting inside the case causing extra heat.