PDA

View Full Version : Re-installing Windows, Linux Modems, ME Restart probs

10-10-2001, 08:18 PM
Hi,
thought I'd post three questions at once to save time.

1) Is it possible to reinstall windows if all I have is the crappy rescue CD that came with my WinME OEM computer?

Also if I can, what prearations should I make to ensure that my settings are saved, and that all my freeware is reinstalled. ie so I don't have to download the installers again.

2) I have heard that Linux doesn't like software modems. I am thinking of making my machine a dual boot with redhat linux, but my modem is a conexant soft56K modem. will I have problems getting it to work?

What about other hardware such as cd burners, scanners etc?

3) Sometimes on shut down, my computer shuts down to a blank screen, but the fan is still running, and the screen is still active. There is no shut-down logo.

The only solution is to hold down the power button on the front for a few seconds to power down manually, or hit reset.

Holding CTRL-ALT-DEL results in a beep being emitted from the computer itself.

When I restart, sometimes scandisk runs, sometimes it doesn't.

If I reset, then it usually shutsdown straight away with no probs.

(WinME)

Cheers for any help! :-)
(sorry this post is so long)

10-10-2001, 08:39 PM
Your rescue CD will restore an image of windows and the programs installed when you purchased your computer. This will only work if you still have the original hard disk as it is 'keyed' into the computer. This will likey have its own setup.

It is difficult to keep many of the applications since these may rely on dll or system files that have been copied into the windows folder. Restoring an image will remove these files.

Fingers crossed that a reinstall will resolve your problem shutting down.

10-10-2001, 09:15 PM
1) Urrgh, if possible find someone with a real copy.

2) Your modem won't work. If its a HSF, there is some support, but it will be a lot of work to get it going (it needs the old 2.2 kernel and its french).

Connexant clain that they will be releasing offical drivers by the end of the year.

CD-Writers work fine.

SCSI scanner support is good, but a parallel port one will a problem (their the scanner equivilant of a winmodem).

USB ones seep to be supported.

have a look here:
panda.mostang.com/sane/

3) Try getting all the updates from windowsupdate. One of them will probably fix it.

10-10-2001, 10:33 PM
Cheers b m,

I just assumed my modem was a software modem by its name. how do I tell?