PDA

View Full Version : Which Gargoyle firmware version to download for Linksys WRT54GL?

Renmoo
28-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Hey all,

I just got the router this morning and I am thinking of flashing it with Gargoyle firmware. I understand that it has a Broadcom chip in it. On the download page (http://www.gargoyle-router.com/download.php), if I select the Architecture as "Broadcom" and version as "1.2", there are several types of *.bin files that I can choose. Which one should I download?

Cheers :)

P.S. I read that there are several different ways of flashing the firmware, according to the wiki notes provided. Which is the easiest or safest? Thanks :)

Trev
28-07-2011, 07:47 PM
According to the manual on the page in your link use the brcm-2.4 image.
:)

MushHead
28-07-2011, 11:42 PM
I upgraded my WRT54GL a while back, from Tomato, using gargoyle_1.3.9-brcm-2.4-squashfs.trx. You're supposed to use the wrt54g .bin file if updating from the Linksys firmware via the web interface, so for the latest (1.3.16) version, yours would be the gargoyle_1.3.16-wrt54g-squashfs.bin image in that case, otherwise the gargoyle_1.3.16-brcm47xx-squashfs.trx if you're already running Tomato or OpenWRT.

Renmoo
29-07-2011, 12:30 AM
Uhm, the router is running the default Linksys firmware at the moment. I can just download gargoyle_1.2.5-wrt54g-squashfs.bin, select that file in the firmware upgrade page, and click Accept? Would that work?

Trev
29-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Read the manual.
:)

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Yes, that will work.

The .trx and the .bin are almost identical AFAIK with the exception of some slightly different 'header' details that some routers require and other routers ignore. On most new firmwares they're relatively interchangable.

But yes, the WRT54GL is *nice* in that you can just flash using the standard firmwares WebUI, you don't have to muck about with tftp etc like the good ol' Asus ones :p