PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phone/E-mail.

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Hi All.

I am out of my depth here, (so what's new?), so I am looking for help.

Can a cell phone 'talk' to a computer e-mail & vice versa?

I believe it s so. But what does one need to do so. As always, in little words please. Thanks. PJ.

The Error Guy
28-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Most smartphones have email ability, as with many mid range phones. Also by using the interent phones can use webmail.

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Most smartphones have email ability, as with many mid range phones. Also by using the interent phones can use webmail.

Dont know whata smartphone is!

Has to be a Cell phone in Hamilton & a computer E-mail in Wanganui, with Orcon.. PJ

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Just Googled Smartphone. These things ARE expensive, aren't they ? PJ.

Alex B
28-07-2011, 06:31 PM
Depends on what you define as expensive I guess.

The Error Guy
28-07-2011, 06:49 PM
depends what you get as well, some of the low end android (Galaxy 5503's are about $300, compared to top end ones they are cheap.

What phone have you got? Check the manual and see if it specifies email. Depending on what one you have, could find a way to do it

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2011, 06:56 PM
If you mean can a cell send email from it to an ISP, yes it can. But

1. The cellphone needs to have an email option on it (if it does you have to configure it first). With your current email / ISP settings

2. The / Your ISP may or may not block emails you send from the cell (like they can, if you send emails from a computer to another computer). If the account youre sending from, isnt the same ISP you're currently with

The R109 (Its just a 3G cell / not a smartphone), I have has an email option on it, that's what I used to send emails while I was in Chch. (From Telecom (but I used my Telstra email details to a Telstra email).

However, when I was was Xnet, it blocked me from sending emails out, BUT i could receive emails on the cell

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 07:11 PM
depends what you get as well, some of the low end android (Galaxy 5503's are about $300, compared to top end ones they are cheap.

What phone have you got? Check the manual and see if it specifies email. Depending on what one you have, could find a way to do it

We don't have such a phone so far, only an old cheap cell phone. Hence the question & learning curve. PJ

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 07:20 PM
If you mean can a cell send email from it to an ISP, yes it can. But

1. The cellphone needs to have an email option on it (if it does you have to configure it first). With your current email / ISP settings

2. The / Your ISP may or may not block emails you send from the cell (like they can, if you send emails from a computer to another computer). If the account youre sending from, isnt the same ISP you're currently with

The R109 (Its just a 3G cell / not a smartphone), I have has an email option on it, that's what I used to send emails while I was in Chch. (From Telecom (but I used my Telstra email details to a Telstra email).

However, when I was was Xnet, it blocked me from sending emails out, BUT i could receive emails on the cell

OK that is enlightening.

As I have said, the cell we have at the moment bs one that Maryann uses to check up on me when I am at home & she is out & about. We need to replace it.

Very soon, one of us is going to have to be in Hamilton for a couple of weeks whilst the other is at home. ISP is Orcon but we don't want to be on any 'Plan". would prefer pay as you go, so to speak. This is only going to be a short term need. Otherwise just a better quality cell phone would be sufficient. PJ

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2011, 07:40 PM
You dont have to be on a plan (to send emails from a cell). The cellphone I use is a prepaid. All I did was configure the email settings on it, and it worked. I could send and receive emails on / from it.

Might help if you tell us what the cellphone is, Then we should be able to tell you if it supports email. If it doesnt support email, just buy a prepaid that supports email. And it should work

Poppa John
28-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Topic closed. Thanks all. PJ.

Poppa John
29-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Topic closed. Thanks all. PJ.

I think upon reflection that I was a bit abrupt. I apologise.

We had a look at cell prices for what we would LIKE Versus what we can afford & I was a bit disgruntled.

So we will be looking for a chepie on speccial for texting & listeningout for friens who might be replacing their phone & dumping the old one. Again Sorry. PJ:blush: