PDA

View Full Version : What computer camera?

Vince
27-07-2011, 06:32 AM
My daughter has just moved to Canada and we would like to keep in touch with skype.

What make and model of camera should I buy?

a store I was in today has 3 models by Logitech alone at
very different prices, that was in the warehouse where no one can tell me anything.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 08:03 AM
I would get a MS cam. Logitech installs too much crap

nedkelly
27-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Im afraid I have to agree with Speedy about Logitech installing too much crap if you use the exe installer, if you just use the driver files its all good. Have never used a MS camera, mate has one and he says it is ok.

rumpty
27-07-2011, 03:06 PM
I use a Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 on Skype. It's a 3 year old model now, doesn't do HD, but it goes well producing 640 x 480 images.

Krad
27-07-2011, 03:09 PM
My daughter has just moved to Canada and we would like to keep in touch with skype.

What make and model of camera should I buy?

a store I was in today has 3 models by Logitech alone at
very different prices, that was in the warehouse where no one can tell me anything.

I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam and am very satisfied with its performance, high definition video and pictures plus facilities. My son in australia and daughter in nz both have the same model. Good value for the price.

PPp
27-07-2011, 09:13 PM
From what I've seen they are pretty much of a muchness, as long as you stick to well known brands. The differences is are in the definition, which depends on the speed of your internet, and the things like a built in microphone. The software packages are mostly a waste of time

The Error Guy
27-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Now i'm not sure what other people will say about this but in my experience there is no point shelling out for an expensive HD cam since the connection will never actually support streaming the picture at 1080p, probably not even 720p. The best thing to look for is one that looks good in different lighting and produces nice imagery.

Agent_24
27-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Just make sure whatever you get it's got a decent resolution and framerate.
Some of the cheap cameras are absolutely awful.
Don't believe the crap about 20 Megapixel cameras on eBay either.

Search the model you're interested in buying on Youtube, most likely you can find someone who made a video with one, and you'll be able to see what it's like.

The Error Guy
28-07-2011, 12:37 AM
Just make sure whatever you get it's got a decent resolution and framerate.

Framerate is quite important, its the difference between jerky/laggy video and smooth video (in most cases)

Robin S_
28-07-2011, 01:01 AM
I have not seen much Skype but much of what I have seen has been filmed in low light/indoors and looks very underexposed. Because of this I set up a side-by-side test (indoors) between 2 Logitech cameras - 1 (a C300 I think) with RightLight exposure compensation and 1 (a C600) with RightLight2. The
RightLight2 images were markedly superior. The C600 is no longer available from the agents in NZ but some new ones were on TradeMe (I got one) and they are/were available in Oz. The 9000 Pro has good reviews but there are some cheaper RightLight2 models. If you consider Microsoft models (which are generally lower priced) I suggest you compare their low-light performance. Many share the view expressed above that Logitechs come with a heap of junk software but I was advised to do what Nedkelly says and just install the drivers (easily done - use Custom setup and deselect everything else). I plan to use mine for Skype but have not set that up yet so cannot comment.

linw
28-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Got a Logitech C510 for birthday and it is excellent. Great clear hi def pics even in modest light. But, with any camera, light is good!

dpDesignz
28-07-2011, 09:18 PM
I have a Logitech C910. Really nice, clear pic. You choose what you want to install.

Richardd150
28-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I have a Logitech Pro 9000 webcam and am very satisfied with its performance, high definition video and pictures plus facilities. My son in australia and daughter in nz both have the same model. Good value for the price.
+1. Also only $89 at Playtech or Computer Lounge. The quality of the skype call videos gets commented on and our call list is USA, Japan, Christchurch and Invercargill.

Vince
06-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I would get a MS cam. Logitech installs too much crap

I got a Logitech C270. HD 760P and a 640/480 picture that is quite good in bad light.

Logitech's installer gives very clear options whether or not to add each component of the package. I chose only the drivers.

I'm satisfied.

Vince
10-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Framerate is quite important, its the difference between jerky/laggy video and smooth video (in most cases)

What exactly is frame rate, when it applies to digital cameras? None of the ones I have seen mentions it.

Agent_24
10-08-2011, 09:19 PM
It's the amount of single frames which can be captured in one second and are put together to make a video

The higher the frame rate, the more information is captured, the smoother the video is, and the better the result especially when filming fast-motion scenes etc.

Typically 30 FPS or so is used (but maybe higher for some) however the cheaper cameras use something like 20 or maybe even as low as 10 FPS. With a lower framerate the video starts to look jerky etc and is not smooth.

The resolution of the video might be OK but with the lower framerate it will still not be as good as one that is higher.

nedkelly
10-08-2011, 09:20 PM
EDIT: Never mind what I said Agent_24 explained it so much better.

Vince
10-08-2011, 10:23 PM
It's the amount of single frames which can be captured in one second and are put together to make a video

The higher the frame rate, the more information is captured, the smoother the video is, and the better the result especially when filming fast-motion scenes etc.

Typically 30 FPS or so is used (but maybe higher for some) however the cheaper cameras use something like 20 or maybe even as low as 10 FPS. With a lower framerate the video starts to look jerky etc and is not smooth.

The resolution of the video might be OK but with the lower framerate it will still not be as good as one that is higher.

Yes, I guess what I meant to ask is how can I know what the frame rate is. It is not documented anywhere and I was advised to look for it when choosing a camera.

Agent_24
10-08-2011, 11:01 PM
For a decent camera or a camera marketed by a well-known company the framerate should be listed somewhere.
It may be on the website, or in the documentation that comes with the camera.

For example: http://www.genius-europe.com/en/produktdetail.php?ID2=94&ID=31&ID3=592
Down the bottom it says:
- CIF (320x240) / VGA (640x480) with up to 30 fps
- 1.3M with up to 8 fps

Of course even that is ambiguous, but I expect they are saying the framerate is also dependant on the computer's hardware (USB speed) and possibly the software\codec used at the time. A faster USB 2.0 webcam used on an older PC with USB 1.1 would likely not work to its full potential.

However If the camera is relatively cheap, and the framerate isn't written down anywhere, it's probably something rather low.