PDA

View Full Version : LG monitor randomly turning off

globe
26-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Got a new LG LCD monitor - 21.5". Every now and again and for no apparent reason it turns itself off and the only way I can get the picture back is if i reboot.

Anyone else having these issues or any ideas whether its likely to be the monitor or the graphics card in the machine. No idea where to start with this one, thanks

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Look in its options

globe
27-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Look in its options

What should I be looking for ? Any thoughts? cheers

:pf1mobmini:

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 12:45 AM
Have no idea, Look in the manual to see what the options are. How long are we talking about (when it goes off). You sure its got nothing to do with the power options in windows?

PeterQ
27-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I would say your computer is going to sleep

inphinity
27-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Got a new LG LCD monitor - 21.5". Every now and again and for no apparent reason it turns itself off and the only way I can get the picture back is if i reboot.

If you have to actually reboot the PC to resolve the issue, I'm going to suggest it's the PC not the monitor that has a problem. Does the PC continue to operate normally when this occurs (if you have audio playing it continues, accessible over network etc)? Do you have another monitor you can try, just to rule that out?

globe
27-07-2011, 11:02 AM
If you have to actually reboot the PC to resolve the issue, I'm going to suggest it's the PC not the monitor that has a problem. Does the PC continue to operate normally when this occurs (if you have audio playing it continues, accessible over network etc)? Do you have another monitor you can try, just to rule that out?

I do but it has only happened three or four times and randomly it seems. Its also when the pc is not working too hard either I.e. browsing web rather than gaming

PPp
27-07-2011, 09:21 PM
I had mine die from blown caps in the power supply( so I was told). luckily I still had one month to go on the three year guarantee! :D

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Thats true the useless DSE monitor I brought a few yrs ago. After a while, it took like 10 presses of the on/off button to turn the thing on. Then I found out why. The inverter was screwed

It was a proview. It'll be the last DSE monitor I buy :p

Agent_24
27-07-2011, 10:23 PM

Anyone else having these issues or any ideas whether its likely to be the monitor or the graphics card in the machine. No idea where to start with this one, thanks

Try a different monitor, if the problem still happens it's the PC.

If it doesn't happen then it's the monitor, and I would blame the power supply, probably faulty capacitors. Easy to fix though if you can use a soldering iron. Check out www.badcaps.net forums for more information...

globe
28-07-2011, 08:59 PM
I have been on the machine tonight and it has shut down twice in the last tem minutes. I have decided I don't think this a problem with the monitor now as when it goes blank the keyboard lights remain lit but if i press caps or number lock nothing happens which to me (i think) suggests that something is happening "in the case". I have got easy tune running and all the temps seem normal to me, was wondering whether it was a temp thing as it has happened both times when i've been watching a couple of videos on line ? Is there any way I can set up a logger that'll record temps etc so I can analyse after the event.

Just as I was typing this the alarm came on for easy tune and when I flicked over the FAN CPU which is set at 1500RMP had dropped to below this level. There is also a little red light against this also - so I am now guessing perhaps this fan is not working properly and the CPU is overheating ? Anyway of checking this without dismantling the whole thing ?

Agent_24
28-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Speedfan (what I use) can record temperatures and everything else that it can measure.

globe
28-07-2011, 09:09 PM
the strange thing is when this warning alarm goes off the CPU temp is only around the high 20's which I wouldn't have thought would be an issue at all ?

Its almost as though the fan is only running intermittently

Agent_24
28-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Probably the CPU fan warning is triggering because the CPU is quite cool (20-something degrees) already thus the fan is running slower than usual since it doesn't need to do much to keep the CPU cool.

Doesn't explain the freezing though... unless it's literally freezing... :horrified

icow
28-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Psu with bad caps or something failing causing the gpu to loose power or draw more power (and take it away from the CPU)? Many people get black screens or freezing when the psu can't supply for the gpu.

globe
28-07-2011, 11:12 PM
Psu with bad caps or something failing causing the gpu to loose power or draw more power (and take it away from the CPU)? Many people get black screens or freezing when the psu can't supply for the gpu.

?? Huh ? I've got a decent PSU (620W) running a Sapphire HD6850 1G GDDR5 which I was led to understand should do the job ?

icow
29-07-2011, 12:31 AM
If part or all of the psu is dying it may not be producing the full 620w or even if on of the Pcie power cables is shorting. Idk that was just a guess.

globe
29-07-2011, 08:42 AM
If part or all of the psu is dying it may not be producing the full 620w or even if on of the Pcie power cables is shorting. Idk that was just a guess.

So I guess from my perspective how does one start to test these things ? Obviously I don't have a spare PSU so is there any software that'll allow you to test things without doing the replacement test ?

Agent_24
29-07-2011, 08:55 AM
If a power cable was shorting out it would trip the PSU protection and the PC would power off completely, not lockup.

No software exists to test a PSU. All testing would have to be done with hardware (load tester, oscilloscope etc) However if your PSU is a recent model of a decent brand it's probably OK.

What is the PSU and how old?

But I would start by running things like Memtest, and checking the system logs for anything strange related to hardware or software.

PPp
29-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Before getting in too deep what about a good clean out, get rid of the dust bunnies and check the connections on your memory sticks and video card. Can't do any harm, and may be a quick painless solution.

globe
29-07-2011, 10:34 PM
well i've installed a nifty little programme called piriform speccy, and it shows whilst idling all my temps are normal (I think) - CPU 30deg motherboard 26deg and HD 26deg.

The interesting thing is that the graphics card does not show a temp ? Is this normal ? The graphics is a radeon HD 6800 series. If it is not showing temp wondering if the fans on that may not be running hence the problem ?

thanks

Oh and as for the dust issue i'll check but the machine is only 1 month or so old (home build so I could've effed something up there, even though its been running fine up until recently)

globe
29-07-2011, 10:42 PM
so just took the side off and there is no dust and all the fans are running.

PPp
30-07-2011, 10:13 AM
Did you move the cards in their slots?

globe
30-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Did you move the cards in their slots?

No should I ? I'd prefer not to if I could get away with it. I think it may just be the graphics card overheating as it only really happens when I'm watching several video clips. I was gaming with Crysis last night and the card was heating up (65deg) but the machine didn't shut down (even though the CPU was up to 40deg also)