PDA

View Full Version : Just had my second PC case crap out !

Digby
26-07-2011, 11:04 PM
Over the years I have built quite few PC's for my self.

Two years ago I had a really top line machine crap out, I was not sure if it was the motherboard or the PSU but it kept dying. Then I isolated it it to the case !

The amazing thing was it was a very upmarket case.

Now over the last few months I have had another PC die on me. It nearly always re-boots, but I have been trying to isolate if its the PSU or the mbo or the graphics card. I took the graphics card out, But it still dies.

Today it would hardly re-boot, and then I found that the on off button was a bit suspect.

So I put the whole PC into an old case, and it seems to be going fine.

So that is 2 cases that have died on me !

This is very annoying as you cant really fix them.
Also you never expect the case, people always tell you to check the electrical components.

I just thought I'd mention this for comment and to assist anyone else in the future.

Don't forget it might be your case and its switch or its internal power cables.

wratterus
26-07-2011, 11:15 PM
It's probably a short somewhere - checked and re-checked that? Cover some bits in insulation tape if you're unsure...

mikebartnz
27-07-2011, 12:05 AM
I've had a case switch misbehave before but I don't blame the whole case for that.

pctek
27-07-2011, 07:35 AM
How exactly? The only thing I've ever seen with cases is a power shut off safety (from the PSU) after someones munted one of the front USBs.

Did you check the switch to see exactly what the issue is?

Digby
27-07-2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure, I'm not that electrical/mechanical.

All I know is that on one case it is almost certainly the switch which looses contact.

So now I have two spare cases that I don't want.

So do I get them fixed ?
Or put them on Trademe ?
Or take them to the dump ?

Terry Porritt
27-07-2011, 08:53 AM
:D Just had a puncture, had to get a new car body.................:banana

Terry Porritt
27-07-2011, 09:07 AM
Just every now and then with the older AT cases and PSUs that had a mains power switch, due to accumulation of manufacturing tolerances and maybe a bit of wear, the push button built into the case wouldn't always operate far enough to latch the switch.
The cure was a bit of mechanical adjustment.

The same thing could happen with CRT's with "hard" power switches.

Digby
27-07-2011, 09:23 AM
:D Just had a puncture, had to get a new car body.................:banana

Like the Arab oil sheiks who bought a new car when their old one ran out of gas
?

Digby
27-07-2011, 09:25 AM
The silly thing is that I hardly ever turn my PC's off (run them24/7) so you can't say I wore the switches out.

I'm not sure I have time or inclination or skill to play around with the switches. They would probably crap out again in a while. If I could find a new switch....

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 09:36 AM
I had a case for less than 6 mths. And the on/off button started to stick. In the end I used some spray (I think it was silicone spray). It was fine after that

Digby
27-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Ah the old silicon spray trick !

pctek
27-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Pretty hard to trash the actual on/off switch.
But I have seen the plastic button cover part fail, why not just amend it?

You can remove the plastic bit and use the actual switch? That way you can see if it's the cover or the switch.

SolMiester
27-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Come on!, spill the beans...what are the cases?

Digby
27-07-2011, 01:30 PM
One is a crappy cheap case.
The other one is a Coolermaster with a sliding mother board tray.

I think I'lll put one or both of them on Trademe

wratterus
27-07-2011, 01:43 PM
Post links to the auctions when you do, yeah? :p

dugimodo
27-07-2011, 03:46 PM
I've repaired a power button before, well actually I cut a rectangular hole around it and glued one in from another case, but it worked. Also repaired the front audio jacks when they permanently disconnected the left channel from the rear jack by solder bridging the switch connections. Then yesterday I dismembered my CM storm scout and retrieved the rest button that had dissappeared inside.

The point is, I'm not the most motivated at fixing cases and I've managed 3 times so it can be done. Especially if the case costs over $200 like the scout did. A cheap and nasty fix I've considered in the past is to mount a couple of switches onto a 5.25" blanking panel and install it in a spare bay. Plastic is rather easy to drill, cut etc.