PDA

View Full Version : How to copy w7 setup to a backup machine ?

Digby
26-07-2011, 08:30 PM
Hi Guys

I am planning on building a backup machine for my mission critical apps etc.

The idea is if any part of my main machine goes down, I can just put my data drive (a physical D drive) into the backup machine, boot up and I am all away ! - do down time.

If I build the new machine, what is involved with setting up Windows 7 and all my apps on it ?

I can do it manually, but as I add and change my apps all the time, is there away to make a copy of the C drive, using a mirror or ghost image ?

I have never done this before.

Thanks

Paul.Cov
26-07-2011, 08:48 PM
What you're after is very sensible, and easy to achieve in Linux.

However, MS stands in your way, as they'll interpret such measures an attempt at piracy of their precious OS.

The price you will have to pay for their monopoly is the potential loss of your data, days of disruption, and numerous obstructions to block your success.

But if you want to pay them a few hundred for another OS, and near $1k for another Office suite you'll find fewer obstacles, but still no guarantee of success.

Digby
26-07-2011, 08:52 PM
WHAT !

I'd like to stay with MS and Windows 7

I know what you mean, but I don't like the sound of your third sentence.

Snorkbox
26-07-2011, 09:05 PM
@ Digby.

This backup machine will need to have a legal copy of Win7 on it plus any applications will it not?

inphinity
26-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Use any of the major imaging apps to do it, just create an image of your system drive - most of them like Acronis etc have a restore option to restore to different hardware (Acronis call it UniversalRestore i think).

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 10:05 PM
The biggest problem is going to be dis-similar hardware unless both machines have the exact same hardware.

If the hardware were the same - look at RAID 1 Described here (http://compreviews.about.com/od/storage/l/aaRAIDPage1.htm) That would work if you were only worried about a drive failing.

The other option, is to build a new machine, its own OS, its own apps etc, store backups the data on this machine or even sync the two so they always stay current with each other.

Theres several ways to do it without costing you an arm and a leg. I have mine setup here similar, I could easily lose any one of the day to day work PC's and another could carry on as if nothing had happened.

Digby
26-07-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks for all that guys.

It seems that the easiest way will be for me to build the other machine and put a new OS on it with all the apps loaded up.

Then it is all ready to go if I ever need it. Eg if a motherboard goes etc.

(I don't really want to go through the learning curve of imaging etc)

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 11:16 PM
If you build the separate machine, have it networked, Install the apps you want to match both machines, then use Synctoy (http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=15155) - which is FREE - create the same folders that you want to sync on the new PC, then set the scheduler ( the Help shows you how) and you can set them to auto sync as often as you want.

The least amount of time the scheduler gives is every 5 minutes, so at the worst you would only lose 5 minutes work on a document for example if the main drive / computer failed.

It works great, change even a single letter or word and synctoy automatically does the rest at the times you previously set.

Thats one way - there are plenty more free options as well.

pctek
27-07-2011, 07:37 AM
That's a bit excessive isn't it?
An entire second PC as a backup?
Why not just make an image, and have a couple of spare parts lying around?

Digby
27-07-2011, 07:59 AM
Is making an image easy ?

Does it take long (Windows 7 and a few apps)

Is it reliable ?

(I suppose I will have to study up on images)

gary67
27-07-2011, 09:06 AM
20 mins depending on drive size. Win7 has a good built in imaging setup but I use Active@ which is about $50 because I image over a network and home premium can't do that. I can insert the boot disc and browse all the data in my image if I need a particular file as well. It has saved my bacon once or twice

SolMiester
27-07-2011, 12:41 PM
Windows 7 is agnostic, it doesnt matter what hardware you dump an image on, it will install the relevant drivers for the hardware.....
Redirect your documents etc to a secondary drive which you backup, image the main c: drive and then create a recovery CD...

If anything happens to the C: drive or other the PC period, you can dump the image down to a new drive or PC and you have your data on a 2nd drive and backed up!

gary67
27-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Windows 7 is agnostic, it doesnt matter what hardware you dump an image on, it will install the relevant drivers for the hardware.....
Redirect your documents etc to a secondary drive which you backup, image the main c: drive and then create a recovery CD...

If anything happens to the C: drive or other the PC period, you can dump the image down to a new drive or PC and you have your data on a 2nd drive and backed up!

This is pretty much what I do, daily data backups and monthly image to a server

nmercer
27-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Windows 7
control panel
backup & restore
Create a system image

Fishb8
29-07-2011, 05:37 AM
I have a 2nd hard drive installed on my PC and use Casper to create an image to the
2nd HD - the machine is dual bootable. Actually, I disconnect the power to the back-up HD - makes booting up much quicker - then reconnect whenever I want to make a back up.