PDA

View Full Version : cannot open ms outlook

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 09:36 AM
Good Morning folks,

Last night I tried to create a rule in office 2007 outlook for an email in the inbox. It showed me that this was the 5th time I had done this. Almost immediately the inbox file I was sending it to shut down with the message 'Errors have been detected in the file...etc'
I followed the rest of the instructions and utilised the Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) to try and fix the problem.
After diagnosing etc i clicked on repair, as per instructions. The repair did not complete and now I can't open Office outlook at all.

Has anyone out there got any ideas on how I might be able to repair this problem myself?

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 09:48 AM
ps: I have also tried Start > Run > and type "outlook.exe /resetnavpane" (without the quotation marks) but it just goes directly to the same message "Cannot open Microsoft Office Outlook etc"

SolMiester
26-07-2011, 09:58 AM
Have you tried opening in safe mode...
Last resort......
Un-install, reboot, re-install.....dont forget to keep copies of your outlook folder in your roaming profile so you can import your messages etc....

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 10:06 AM
Thanks for your response SolMiester.
Forgive my ignorance, can you please give me more detail regarding how to open in safe mode?

SolMiester
26-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for your response SolMiester.
Forgive my ignorance, can you please give me more detail regarding how to open in safe mode?

Here..
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/work-with-office-safe-modes-HP010140792.aspx#2

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Thanks SolMeister,
Has taken me some time to work it through.
Office will not start in safe mode.
Would like to try the uninstall option you suggested. How do i keep copies of all the folders prior to uninstalling?

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 11:14 AM
Depending on what OS you have, XP, Vista or W7 -- All you need to do is locate the pst file, and copy that to a safe location - you may have to re-enter the email details, but all your mail, contacts etc are in the pst file.

Example: in XP its C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst

In W7 its C:\Users\[USER_NAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook

Some of the folders will be hidden, to show them all ( W7) , open Computer- tap the Alt key from the now showing menu, tools/Folder options/View Tab select show hidden files folders and drives.

Once its saved, uninstall Office, when you reinstall it, you may find it automatically picks up the original pst file, as this folder doesn't get removed when you un-install, saving the pst file is a safety factor - just in case.

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 11:33 AM
thanks wainuitech,
i have ms XP OS. am getting onto it now.

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 12:29 PM
have completed the unistall and reloaded but to no avail.
Outlook still wont open and comes up with the same message "Cannot open MS Office Outlook....etc"
Any further suggestions?
Or should I get some hands on professional help?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 12:44 PM
Uninstall it run this http://www.refusetosuffer.com/software.php?SoftwareID=4. This will remove everything to do with Office 2007. Then reinstall it / update it

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 01:08 PM
cheers speedy...will try it now

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 01:17 PM
No probs

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 01:54 PM
hello speedy,
have done what you suggested, including updating but all to no avail.
tried running the repair tool again and even ran office diagnostics to see if that would help.
no problem with known solutions, memory, compatibility, disk or set up
am still getting the same message though when i try to open outlook.

have you got any other suggestions?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 02:05 PM
So, what file /s is it talking about thats got errors?

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Have you installed any addons for OL??? Maybe one is stuffed or something?

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 02:47 PM
You may have some corruptions in other parts of the system that are having an effect.

Since its XP - click start/ run, type in sfc /scannow press enter - it will scan you computer, have you XP CD handy as it will ask for it if it finds any faults.

Once thats done, run chkdsk /r through the PC as well. Click start, run, type in cmd type in chkdsk /r press enter, it will say it cant run and do you want to do it on next reboot, Y reboot the pc and let it run, (may take a while to scan the drive) then try reinstalling office.

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 02:56 PM

i'm not sure about this. i believe it is the outlook.pst file
after scanning i get that it shows some errors. then when i hit repair after sometime it comes up with 'an error has occurred which caused the repair to be stopped. some modifications may have been made to the scanned file'

hope this helps

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Have you installed any addons for OL??? Maybe one is stuffed or something?

not sure what is meant by OL

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 03:00 PM

have just checked, it is ......C:\Documents and settings\user\Local settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst.

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 03:06 PM
You may have some corruptions in other parts of the system that are having an effect.

Since its XP - click start/ run, type in sfc /scannow press enter - it will scan you computer, have you XP CD handy as it will ask for it if it finds any faults.

Once thats done, run chkdsk /r through the PC as well. Click start, run, type in cmd type in chkdsk /r press enter, it will say it cant run and do you want to do it on next reboot, Y reboot the pc and let it run, (may take a while to scan the drive) then try reinstalling office.

am trying this now

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 03:28 PM
not sure what is meant by OL

OL = Outlook

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 03:39 PM
OL = Outlook

no I haven't loaded anything extra onto OL

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Did you install SP2 and all the updates after it?

I could have a look using teamviewer if you want. You have to install it, then give the ID and password it gives you in a PM

I take it this is what you did?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Did you install SP2 and all the updates after it?

I could have a look using teamviewer if you want. You have to install it, then give the ID and password it gives you in a PM

I take it this is what you did?

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/repair-outlook-data-files-pst-and-ost-HA010075831.aspx

Yes that's correct... I used the repair tool.
I would be grateful of some assistance thanks Speedy. Please give me a few minutes to make a cuppa and i will download the team viewer. Back to you soon.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Sweet I'll be here

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 04:16 PM
@Speedy,
am back now, cuppa in hand and ready to do battle.
Can you please tell me how to download team viewer etc.

@Wainuitech,
followed your suggestion and rebooted...waited for quite awhiles but nothing showed up, must have done something wrong i guess. Speedy has kindly offered to help me via teamviewer in the meantime. I will keep you posted. Thanks for your support.

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Go here http://teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx download the install / run it. Then send the ID and pw it gives you to me in a PM

hoanikai
26-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Go here http://teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx download the install / run it. Then send the ID and pw it gives you to me in a PM

done that

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 04:36 PM
Just for future reference, when you download teamviewer, from the Download page (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx), under Additional downloads, get the Quick Support, Download, it doesn't need to be installed, still does the same tasks by double clicking / Run. You still need to give the helper the user numbers / Password :2cents:

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 05:20 PM
I'm in it now with TV. I see under system, it says SP3 v 6055? Is this a beta / RC version of SP3?? Its not the release version is it?

Looks like the OL PST file is over 2 GB (2.2). Thats probably why it wont open (2 GB is the limit isnt it)?

feersumendjinn
26-07-2011, 05:52 PM
You're right; maybe these'll help
http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=pst+file+size+limit&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Cant put my finger on the 6055 version

re the pst file -- 2.2 is fine, for outlook 2003 / 2007 it increased to 20GB with 2010 increasing to 50GB

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Oh ok then well its just past 3GB now.. The program I used has nearly finished recovering everything

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 06:56 PM
Got them back. Used advanced OL repair. Loaded a pst file (found there were 2 somehow). It scanned it / recovered the emails etc..I had to copy it back to the right folder so it'd work properly. And it was all go! the damaged file (I think it was, was 2.2 GB or something). The recovered file was 3.6-3.7 GB)!

Might be formatting / partitioning it tomorrow anyway . The hdd is in a bit of a mess. Hoanikai will have to copy whatever, to something else first

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2011, 10:09 PM
This may come in handy

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_attachment.html

Looks like it'll let you view attachments / and delete the ones you dont want in Outlook. Or save the ones you want to keep

hoanikai
27-07-2011, 12:14 AM
brilliant effort speedy thankyou..
and to you wainuitech...
for some reason it backed up a few times...5 in fact....
after checking the mail was duplicated i cleared all of them. got the file back down to 3.03 GB...
will tidy the folders up sometime tomorrow.
cheers*

hoanikai
27-07-2011, 12:15 AM
This may come in handy

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/outlook_attachment.html

Looks like it'll let you view attachments / and delete the ones you dont want in Outlook. Or save the ones you want to keep

will check this out in the morning

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2011, 12:18 AM
Sweet no probs