PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my mates PC? Won't power on now :(

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Hi all,

So I had a mate over last night. He's had ongoing overheating issues with his PC (We cleaned out his CPU heatsink / fan about 4-5 months back), so after I installed LOTRO we naturally fired it up and within about 3-4 minutes his PC died. Fired it back up, threw an old trial of EVEREST on there and it showed his GPU sitting at 86 degrees just in Windows (No games).

Super, time to clean that sucker out too.

Pulled the 9800GT to pieces, cleaned it out, put it all back together, threw it into the PC. It beeped a couple of times, nothing on-screen, fans going fine, then stopped beeping. So I powered it off, then back on again, no beeps, but fans / HDD go fine. Odd.
Whipped out the graphics card, still no beeps.
Pulled out both RAM sticks, it starts beeping like nuts.
RAM back in (Still no GPU -- And there's no onboard), no beeps.
Keep in mind that every time the case / CPU fans fire up, the DVD drive will open OK, and the HDD spins up.

So I double-check the GPU, yes I've got the power cable plugged in. I whip out my HD4870, throw it in his, nothing.
Take his 9800GT and throw it in mine, fires up perfectly.

Super, so it could be his PSU? Pulled mine out and threw it into his PC, double-checking the additional power connectors for the mobo and GPU. Still, can't get anything to come up on screen, still no beeps, but the fans still whirr to life as before.

Any ideas what this is likely to be ? I'm dreading it being the mobo (Asus P5QL Pro) fried ... His CPU socket is different from mine, else I'd check that too...

Cheers

Chill.

pcuser42
26-07-2011, 09:28 AM
I would say that throwing the parts around isn't helping :p

Trev
26-07-2011, 09:32 AM
Sounds like mb as I will know, as I went through those tests with mine before I determined it was the mb. Lucky for me mine was still under warranty. Got a refurbished one for a replacement.
:)

SolMiester
26-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Sounds like you have checked the GPU and PSU...I guess that doesnt leave a lot else....You could pull the battery out for the BIOS to clear, and see if that helps, however seems to me you already know what the problem is!

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2011, 09:56 AM
Sounds like you have checked the GPU and PSU...I guess that doesnt leave a lot else....You could pull the battery out for the BIOS to clear, and see if that helps, however seems to me you already know what the problem is!

....but I want to be wrong :crying

SolMiester
26-07-2011, 09:59 AM

Poor timing for you eh!?.....LOL, hot GPU = new motherboard...LMAO!

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 10:38 AM
Bit of a long shot, but had this happen before -- Remove the motherboard from the case, assemble it back together on the bench, with CPU/Heatsink, Graphic Card, KB/Mouse and PSU ( dont need anything else), Short the pins and see if you get any graphics. (BIOS)

There is the odd time something moves slightly (esp if you are throwing bits around :p - Kidding) - something "may" be shorting causing the graphics not to show.

Also double check the Heatsink is actually sitting correctly, if its not that will cause the same problem - not booting.

dugimodo
26-07-2011, 11:19 AM
unplug all the drives to eliminate them and their connections, sometimes they can prevent posting also. Go over all the power connections etc and make sure everything is connecting properly.

does the MB have onboard video and could it have defaulted to it when you removed the card ?

Not sounding great, but if it worked before you pulled out the graphics card It seems odd that it would fail when putting it back. Is there anything else around the graphics card you could have bumped? is it possible the socket is dirty or faulty, or something fell into it ?

You already tried most of what I would have.

mikebartnz
26-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Didn't your mother ever tell you "What you want and what you get are two different things.":)

If you try what wainuitech says with no luck it does sound like the MB.

26-07-2011, 01:11 PM
I have seen excessively hot Vid cards damage motherboards

Does the caps lock/num lock light on the k/b work when you hit those keys ??
Try an old school PCI (not PCIe) vid card to see if it boots with that
Also try with any Vid card & see if it starts beeping

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Yeah I've tried without the HDD / DVD drive attached.

The Caps Lock / Numlock lights still seem to "work" which is odd.

No, unfortunately there's no onboard video.

I'll try shorting the BIOS tonight then :) I'll double-check all the connectors and make sure they're not dirty / dusty too, that's a good idea thanks!

...and yes, my mother said that to me when I was younger, she would say it a *lot*! :D

icow
26-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Prehaps indervidual component faliure on the mobo e.g. the pci-e x16 has died or is shorting. I had a msi mobo that did the same thing. Wouldnt boot took the gpu and it was fine (had on board video tho), tried a new gpu same problem. Wouldn't install drivers for the gpu adn died randomly. Also the some of the usb and both ps2 ports had died.

pctek
26-07-2011, 02:20 PM
You've proved it's the board now by a process of elimination.

Trev
26-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Yes he proved that in his first post.
:)

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2011, 03:22 PM
But I was hoping you guys would tell me differently. I'm still hopeful wainuitech or dugimodo are right though :D

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I'm still hopeful wainuitech or dugimodo are right though Speaking for myself - Has been known to happen on the odd occasion :D :p:lol:

dugimodo
26-07-2011, 04:48 PM
rarely if ever for me

feersumendjinn
26-07-2011, 05:39 PM
I have seen a few instances where the video card has not entered correctly into it's slot, because the case manufacturing tolerances are incorrect (the backplane area is too high in relation to the motherboard), may be ok until the case has been moved around.
Wainui's test should eliminate this though.

pctek
26-07-2011, 05:39 PM
But I was hoping you guys would tell me differently.
Well Ok, then, you haven't swapped out the CPU yet.

But I still think your boards died.

Driftwood
26-07-2011, 06:01 PM
Silly sugestion but you did have the monitor plugged in?

wainuitech
26-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Silly sugestion but you did have the monitor plugged in? Its not a silly suggestion ;)

I've been to places where some device is not going and even asking on the phone " is it actually plugged in and turned on" Yessssssssss, you get there and guess whats unplugged and laying on the floor :groan:

pcuser42
26-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Its not a silly suggestion ;)

I've been to places where some device is not going and even asking on the phone " is it actually plugged in and turned on" Yessssssssss, you get there and guess whats unplugged and laying on the floor :groan:

But in this case I think it is a silly suggestion, I think Chill knows better :p

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Yeah I've tried with 3 monitors already, just-in-case.

Turns out I was mistaken, the Capslock and Numlock lights don't appear to be coming on for the PS2 Keyboard ............ :(

Righto, time to try and short the BIOS