PDA

View Full Version : HD4890 compatable with Nvidia chipset motherboards ??

25-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Hi there
Are there any weird compatibility issues with (ATI GPU) HD4890 & Nvidia chipset AM2 motherboards (550 & 560 chipsets)

I just bought the HD4890 vid card , used off trademe.
It wont work at all with my 2 similar Nvidia based motherboards-AM2 CPU
PC Powers on, dont think it even POSTS. Display blank, no HD activity.
I tried a new 650W coarsair PSU, didnt fix the issue

It works with the OLD intel based based motherboard at work(using the new 650W PSU)
These m/b's work fine with Nvidia GPU's (8800GT & 6600GT)
Everything is Gigabyte.

Any known issues with mixing m/b & vid card chipset brands??

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Do the mobos have onboard video?? If they do, did you install the drivers?? If you did, uninstall them

dugimodo
25-07-2011, 04:13 PM
It sould work in theory, were you using a graphics card or onboard Video previously? and you of course plugged the monitor into the right place? and connected the power cable to the graphics card.

If using onbaord check the bios and see if there is a setting for selecting add in graphics as the main adapter. Or you could disable onbaord bearing in mind it will need a cmos reset if it doesn't work.

inphinity
25-07-2011, 04:20 PM
Should work fine, it's only when you start using SLI/XFire you really have to think about compatibility issues.

pctek
25-07-2011, 04:48 PM
I just bought the HD4890 vid card , used off trademe.
It wont work at all with my 2 similar Nvidia based motherboards

As you have troubleshooted, and had the power connector to the card, then you will have to conclude the cards dead.

25-07-2011, 05:26 PM
to recap, card works on Intel based m/b (at work) , not on 2 Nvidia based mb (at home) .
PC's at home, no POST display with this card, so wont have anything do with drivers .I uninstalled old vid drivers anyway :thumbs:
Tried with new (& old ) power supplies
PC's at home dont have onboard vid, they work fine with NV based vid cards
:thanks
Cheers :thumbs:

I vaguely remember something long ago about compatbilty with some NV m/b & some ATI(now amd) cards. But this was long ago , may be completely wrong recollection.
:o

I'll try a bios update on the motherboard. & try removing soundcard (clutching at straws now)

26-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the replies, I found the cause

The card only works on vga(15pin) via adaptor, DVI/digital is faulty (home monitors were via DVI)
At least it is usuable with Vga, not the best though.