PDA

View Full Version : Learning - technically challenged - PC or Mac?

Nomad
25-07-2011, 10:00 AM
I haven't really used Macs .. can someone please advise me on this topic? Older people, technically challenged, English not their first language. Prob being used with a magnifier so that typing text would be easier.

The goal is to learn to read news webpages in their native language and perhaps not even email.

They have never used a computer. They have only used a cash register / eftpost unit. They struggle with a mobile phone. They just learnt how to search for contacts and review missed calls and read text messages but they tend to forget or get them mixed up. Initially I can see how the mouse has one button could be easier .. :D

If I have a English Windows product key, can this be used to a different language edition or even better are there MS downloads to can convert the language?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
25-07-2011, 10:11 AM
There's some language packs (for Win7 here). And a link for XP

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/downloads/languages

It changes everything to the other language.

Ultimate and Enterprise, you can get them from windoiwsupdate. You probably cant use a key on a different version (if its not for the English version tho)

You can also download language packs for Office

Alex B
25-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Why not the likes of an iPad for that use?

CliveM
25-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Why not the likes of an iPad for that use?

+1

gary67
25-07-2011, 11:31 AM
I would suggest a tablet too, but take them to the shop and let them have a go at all of them

pctek
25-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Older people, technically challenged, English not their first language.
The goal is to learn to read news webpages in their native language and perhaps not even email.

I've taught loads of people, old, young, thick, or just new.

It's just a matter of patience and practice, not Operating Systems.

If you haven't got the time and/or patience get them to join Senior Net, they get help from people their own age and not techs, so it works well.

ada1988
25-07-2011, 03:33 PM
you can buy him a tablet to slove the input problem and teach him step by step.
they’re never to old to run but they’re also never to old to learn computer skills. Moreover they both can improve your health.

Nomad
25-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Anyone knows if you can switch a Apple or Android Pad into a another language?

Not sure if looking around would help much. He just has no idea. One lesson could be just how to open up the web browser and how to scroll up and down. I mean on his mobile phone, last night he asked me oh .. is that the battery indicator, where is it ... Don't think he would use the multi touch facility.

PPp
25-07-2011, 09:25 PM
Buy them a cheap PC put Linux on it.(safer and no maintenance). Write out instructions on how to get to bookmarks. Get them to translate your instructions/demo into their own language. Its best to teach in as many modes as possible, Talk, Write, Demonstrate, Let them show you, as you coach, get a native speaker of their own language do the same. Adopt a laid back attitude. Show infinite patience, you have a million years to teach them and if they learn nothing in the first 2-3 hundred thousand years thats cool with you. Its the quickest way. No Pressure, and small steps allows them to listen, analyse, and try/play.

Paul.Cov
25-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Boy, good luck!

I think a lot of what has already been said is pretty good.

Go with something dirt cheap... I'd err towards a used XP machine.
Reassure tham that they can't wreck anything, although also caution them re privacy wrt bank account info etc.

Get them started, let them play (and learn).

The really big challenge will be sorting out issues on a machine that uses a language foreign to your own... like configuring a gateway and proxy when the only recognisable thing is the layout of a bunch of text boxes on a screen full of gibberish.

I find it hard enough to navigate through a german installation of Winzip on an old laptop I was given, let alone managing the entire OS.

Maybe if you could make a shortcut for them to a group somewhat like PressF1 that is used in their own language?

Nomad
25-07-2011, 11:10 PM
It's really just reading up news (current affairs). Their peers don't use email either :p Won't be using Linux, I have enough trouble with it already, I might need a tutor too. Nope, they won't do using c/c's online.

Nomad
19-08-2011, 07:01 PM
There's some language packs (for Win7 here). And a link for XP

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-NZ/windows/downloads/languages

Ok. Do you know if the language can be reverted back to English on demand or is it fixed onto the foreign language :confused:

May just use a 13yr old Pentium III 600Mhz old laptop. Than getting $250 worth of new parts into a spare case.

If it crashes or the stupid printer, it'll be useful to see it in English! It's my print server.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2011, 07:06 PM
I think you can uninstall the language pack, which will revert it back to the original language

Nomad
19-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I think you can uninstall the language pack, which will revert it back to the original language

oh ok. i was wanting for it to switch between languages casually :D

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2011, 07:29 PM
I tried one language pack once, it changed all the menus etc. I didnt try more than one language, so dont know if you can switch between different languages

Nomad
19-08-2011, 08:39 PM
i was meaning English to their language and vice versa casually :D

well .. i had a look right. XP language change is only available to certain languages, for a specified range it says:

Multilingual User Interface (MUI) packs for Windows XP, which provide fully translated versions of Windows in 24 languages, are only available for download or for sale to companies that are part of a volume licensing program or who have Select and Enterprise agreements.

Also Windows 7 can only do a language swap if you have Ultimate or Enterprise. Not that I have a spare computer that can handle that.

might just get the internet browser then.