PDA

View Full Version : Click button on touchpad not working.

lakewoodlady
24-07-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi all,
I have a friend with an ASUS laptop (second hand) and the left click on the touchpad button has stopped working, right click is ok.

Is this a possible driver problem? I am on my way out to visit her shortly to have a look at it for her.

LL

Paul.Cov
24-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Drivers are a possibility, but a stuffed microswitch may be more likely.

The left (primary) touchpad/mouse button gets a lot of use.

I have in the past got faulty mice to work by scavenging the middle mouse button or wheel button to replace a stuffed primary button.

But on a laptop there's likely no button to scavenge, other than the right-button, which is still handy to retain (although if the keyboard has the right-click equivalent you could potentially scavenge the touchpads right-click.
If you're lucky the board will have fairly generic microswitches which can be replaced.

Bigger variants of the microswitch can be popped open, cleaned, reassembled with some success.

lakewoodlady
24-07-2011, 02:40 PM
So where exactly is the microswitch thingy?

Paul.Cov
24-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Beneath the button.

You'll likely have to pull the case apart to get to it.

They usually look either: Round 3mm contact button on a 5mm square base, only a few mm deep, or 5mm x 10mm x 6mm deep plastic block with a narrow rectangular button towards one end.

These dimensions are aprox. The latter is easier to source and replace, but being the bulkiest is also the least likely to be in a laptop.

sahilcc7
24-07-2011, 08:00 PM
On some laptops/netbooks, you can get a small flat head screw driver and try to pop of the button and clean inside. It has worked for me before. If it feels too hard and going to break, dont do it.

lakewoodlady
24-07-2011, 08:34 PM
On some laptops/netbooks, you can get a small flat head screw driver and try to pop of the button and clean inside. It has worked for me before. If it feels too hard and going to break, dont do it.

Hmm wouldn't really want to risk that. I'll let her take it to a laptop tech, then he can have the risk of stuffing it up entirely. It will either get fixed or it won't, and she'll just have to live with it.

LL

burrfoot
12-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Hey Paul.Cov- would you happen to have any ideas on where to find those square microswitches with the round contact button? My Asus is about two years old and recently I've been having to press harder and harder, and in different spots, to get any kind of result.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

gary67
12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
you can just tap the touchpad too does the same as left click

zqwerty
12-08-2011, 12:50 PM
Get a sewing pin or needle and pick up some CRC or WD40 cleaning fluid on the end of it, drop a few drops down the side of the little black button on the microswitch, should give you another 10,000 or so pushes if it works which it has done for me many times.

Use a meagre amount so as not to get it spreading all over the insides of the laptop as it will do if you are not careful with positioning and amount as that is what it is optimised for.