PDA

View Full Version : Severe issues with an Acer M3100

Gallax
24-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Okay here goes nothin',
My acer stopped installing. When I download a software, it will complete the download process and prompt for installation(Iexplorer) When I click "run" to open the installation wizard. It closes the window and nothing else occurs. This happens with every file on every site.

Help on this may be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2011, 11:46 AM
Have you scanned it for malware?

What version of windows is it?? Boot into safe mode / networking and see if hijackthis will install. If it does run it then click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log back here

http://www.trendmicro.com/ftp/products/hijackthis/HiJackThis.msi <- direct link

Gallax
24-07-2011, 11:49 AM
It's Vista. Give me 3 minutes to boot.

Gallax
24-07-2011, 11:57 AM
hijackthis wouldnt install

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Disable system restore. Have you scanned this with a virus scanner or something?

Gallax
24-07-2011, 12:21 PM
I am currently looking to wipe my drive and then add software to protect against antivirus that i will buy. will that help?

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2011, 12:27 PM
You dont have to buy AV programs. There are free antivirus programs around

ie http://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/security_essentials/default.aspx

AVG, Avast, and NOD32 (if you want to pay for it)

Are you in NZ, or somewhere else?

wainuitech
24-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Sounds more like the system files are damaged. Disabling system restore is a bad idea at the present till you find out whats causing it.

If the problem has only just developed in the last couple of days, then run system restore back to before it happened - a day or two backwards. This site tells you how (http://bertk.mvps.org/html/restoresysv.html) as well as This site (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial143.html)

IF you disable system restore you WONT have this option as all recovery points will be wiped.

Gallax
24-07-2011, 12:30 PM
I cant' install remember? lol
i can install using windows update and a disk.
i need AV software that removes it for free

Gallax
24-07-2011, 12:30 PM
this has been going on for abut 2 years. and i went a year without internet

Gallax
24-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.

Please note that this chat service is available to guide you to the appropriate resources for your questions. Often this can include technical support options or a phone number to the appropriate Microsoft Team.

You are now chatting with 'Rachael'.

Gallax: hey

Gallax: can you help?

Rachael: Welcome to Microsoft Customer Service Chat, Gallax. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Gallax: ohh okay

Rachael: Are you referring to Word 2007 or Excel 2007?

Rachael: I don't mean to rush you but I just want to make sure that we're still connected. Are you still with me?

Gallax: no. like. when i go to open a file. like internet. if i dont run as admin. a window will open, my exe files are stuffed up and they dont know where to open

Rachael: Are you using Windows 7 Home Premium?

Gallax: windows vista apire m3100

Rachael: Is it Windows Vista Home Premium?

Gallax: yes

Gallax: and if youre trying to remotely connect it wont work

Gallax: my computer doesnt even install anything

Gallax: sorry i have such screwed up problems

Rachael: Thank you for the additional information.

Rachael: Regarding your inquiry, I would suggest working with our Support Professionals for further assistance and investigate this issue as they are the one who can handle this.

Gallax: can you refer to me to the gookiest guy you know in your workplace?

Gallax: geekiest*

Gallax: smartest genius computer wizz god

Gallax: because ive tried a lot of stuff

I was talking to a microsoft representative hahah she couldnt help

lakewoodlady
24-07-2011, 02:04 PM
You seem to have a problem explaining your situation. Is English your first language?

LL

Gallax
24-07-2011, 02:18 PM
lol yes english is my first language. i know i did sound kinda dumb there. why is there an error on my disk

wainuitech
24-07-2011, 02:27 PM
why is there an error on my disk Its windows :D :p

Something to try, May or may not fix the problem, could make it worse ( if thats possible) or at least get part of it going -- can you go to the C drive (Computer) , right click your hard Drive / Properties/ Tools Tab - under error checking click on check now,make sure there is a tick in the top option, and bottom if you want to do a full scan.

Click Start, you will get a messages saying it cant run, and do you want to run it on next start - agree, then restart the Laptop, touch nothing, chkdsk will run. It will take a while, but let it do its thing.

The other way to do this scan is click on start, type in CMD, right click it from the results, run as administrator - once open type in chkdsk /r Press enter - you will more than likely get the same message about rebooting.

Gallax
24-07-2011, 03:44 PM
that might screw things up???

Speedy Gonzales
24-07-2011, 03:57 PM
I would say malware has stuffed up your exe file association. I would (if you dont want to reformat), remove the hdd and put it in a working system. If its IDE, make sure you jumper it properly.

Then scan the hdd with something. Or if its got a hidden partition, burn the ISO, to DVD.

wainuitech
24-07-2011, 04:28 PM
that might screw things up??? Anything is possible.

While no one (hopefully anyway) would give advise that will certainly stuff things up, ANY suggested fix from anyone can sometimes end up with results that are not always expected. Thats why I wrote "Something to try, May or may not fix the problem"

When a System is corrupted OR infected with Malware / Virus anything unexpected can happen when doing repairs.

People like myself that do this for a living have ways to recover one way or another when the computer is in front of them, but on here, that option is not available.

So upon saying that - :) As speedy suggested, you can scan the drive, if you don't have another PC to do this, what you can do is download programs to a working computer to do certain operations.

If you want a bootable CD that does cleanout infections - download This ISO file (http://www.4shared.com/file/31piVwlL/CD_ROM.html) - its the Nod32 rescue CD that Nod32 can make, but you would normally be required to download a 1GB file to make it first.

The ISO file is about 174MB - on that page is a big blue "download Now" click that, when the timer / clock finishes there will appear another download option, download the file ( ignore the toolbar pop up). Once downloaded, using ISO burning software, burn the file to a blank CD, boot from that CD, then do a full system scan to remove infections ( will take a while).

Once the scan has been completed and all major infections removed further cleaning / repairs may be required assuming it is infected to get the system working again correctly.

jareemon
24-07-2011, 06:54 PM
gallax, you mentioned you were considering wiping your hard drive and installing Windows, yes? because this will almost certainly fix that and many other smaller problems you may be having with your computer. also, doing a clean install of Windows will speed things up, too.

:pf1mobmini:

feersumendjinn
25-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Try this (how to recover your system to factory condition) ;)
http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/desktop/0000/Acer/AspireE360/AspireE360faq40.shtml