PDA

View Full Version : Contact Energy Prompt Payment discount

Bobh
22-07-2011, 10:27 PM
I just had an email from Contact Energy. Apparently my prompt payment discount is to increase from 12% to 22% wef 1 August 2011.

Great news! We are increasing the Online OnTime prompt payment discount you currently enjoy from 12% to 22% it's our way of saying thanks for being a Contact customer. This whopping 22% discount will apply to your electricity and natural gas bills generated from
1 August 2011.

zqwerty
22-07-2011, 10:45 PM
That sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?

Bobh
22-07-2011, 10:48 PM
That sounds too good to be true, what's the catch?

I think that they may be worried about losing customers.

The Error Guy
22-07-2011, 10:49 PM
The catch is if you fail to pay quick you get no power :devil

Cato
22-07-2011, 10:53 PM
They have a loops to go through before they cut your power... Not as easy as ya think.

Trev
22-07-2011, 10:53 PM
Trying to beat the competition. I have had 20% prompt payment discount for years with Energy Onlne.
:)

johcar
23-07-2011, 12:38 AM
You're mad if you don't think that the prompt payment isn't already built into the price you (over)pay for your power.

T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch)

Believe me on this one - I used to work for a power company...

wotz
23-07-2011, 01:08 AM
Yep, we got an email too. A price cut without giving a price cut. They are bleeding customers.

Cicero
23-07-2011, 09:05 AM
Yep, we got an email too. A price cut without giving a price cut. They are bleeding customers.

Perhaps competition does work!

pctek
23-07-2011, 09:32 AM
http://www.contactenergy.co.nz/web/findoutabout/pricing

Prompt payment discount (10% if you pay your bill in full by the due date).

We had a Contact guy come to the door last night. We said we already get 20% discount with Online Energy and he went away.

http://www.powerswitch.org.nz/powerswitch/region/N02/N023/price_trends
I have the cheapest for my area now anyway.

Marnie
23-07-2011, 09:47 AM
You're mad if you don't think that the prompt payment isn't already built into the price you (over)pay for your power.

T.A.N.S.T.A.A.F.L. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There_ain't_no_such_thing_as_a_free_lunch)

Believe me on this one - I used to work for a power company...

I am with you on this one johcar. I also used to work for a power company. They are obviously desperately trying to stop the mass exodus of current customers.
Up until recently many New Zealanders were reluctant to switch to another supplier of any services, whether it be electricity, banking or some other provider. It has taken a while for some of those to stop taking loyal customers for granted and start repaying some of that (often misguided) loyalty. The only thing that has caused a change is the loss of $$$.

Nomad
23-07-2011, 10:40 AM
We used to be with Contact, they are expensive.

lakewoodlady
23-07-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm with Nova Energy and get 15% ppd. I went through all that "What's my number" thing and Energy Online give 20% ppd, but their unit prices per kw are a few cents dearer. So it's swings and roundabouts really. Although, I do get a 40% discount off my October bill for being loyal with Nova.

LL

zqwerty
23-07-2011, 11:27 AM
What is the unit price/kWh that people are paying?

I pay about 24c/kWh but no line charge. I am with PowerShop.

gary67
23-07-2011, 11:52 AM
We are with Just energy and currently pay

Line charge $1.66/day
Controlled $0.13/kWh
Uncontrolled $0.15/kWh

although their prices are about to go up to around 18c/kWh

lakewoodlady
23-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Line charge 0.35c per day
Controlled 0.19c per kw
Uncontrolled 0.26c per kw
Nova Energy

LL

zqwerty
23-07-2011, 05:05 PM
What is controlled and uncontrolled wrt electricity supply?

I don't know these terms.

gary67
23-07-2011, 05:10 PM
Don't know at a guess one could be domestic and one could be water or one could be day and one night, as I said I don't know it's what it says on the bill

Nomad
23-07-2011, 05:13 PM
I think

If you have a electricity heated water.
Uncontrolled means the stuff you use anytime which may be a tad more like appliances.
Controlled means normally the electricity water which means there is a remote interface which they can shut off your water power at specified times if they want. Good for those who are at work during the day for example.

If you have gas for water, you normally have a simpler power meter. Sometimes referred to anytime rate plan. That's just one rate instead of two.

lakewoodlady
23-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Yes, that is right Nomad. That is why there are two different unit rates.

LL

zqwerty
23-07-2011, 05:26 PM
Ahhh you mean as in 'NightStore' Heaters, we pay half for that, will have to look it up.

Nomad
23-07-2011, 05:30 PM
I think there might be 2 types.
There is a day and night plan for your appliances but I think the water issue is another. There should be an abundance of types .... :p Depends which one you have.

Trev
23-07-2011, 05:59 PM
During the winter months the power company can turn your hot water heating off to save you money. This usually happens at night when everyone is in bed.

Nomad
23-07-2011, 07:28 PM
Prob more like balancing power load ... save you money, maybe not.

Arnie
24-07-2011, 11:11 AM
Yes, that is right Nomad. That is why there are two different unit rates.

LL

Correct, they mostly cut the water heating between 4-30 & 7 in the evening and for an hour or two around breakfast time.

Poppa John
24-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Correct, they mostly cut the water heating between 4-30 & 7 in the evening and for an hour or two around breakfast time.

This is correct. As an electrician in Auckland I occasionaly got called to a "Cold Hot Water Cylinder" which was not due to a duff element.

AEPB would send a high frequency set of pulses down the line in a particular area & the relay in the meter panel would turn off the hot water electricity.

Later, they would send another pulse out & the supply would come on again.

Sometimes tho, the relay would fail & not switch on. In this case I would ring AEPB, give my name & who I worked for & my Registration Number & they woud allow me to "Bridge" the hot water relay connections. Till they could get to change the relay.

Just thought you might like his bit of useless info. PJ

Pato
24-07-2011, 01:09 PM
I just had an email from Contact Energy. Apparently my prompt payment discount is to increase from 12% to 22% wef 1 August 2011.Does this only apply if you pay your account online.?

kahawai chaser
24-07-2011, 03:01 PM
This is correct. As an electrician in Auckland I occasionaly got called to a "Cold Hot Water Cylinder" which was not due to a duff element.

AEPB would send a high frequency set of pulses down the line in a particular area & the relay in the meter panel would turn off the hot water electricity.

Later, they would send another pulse out & the supply would come on again.

Sometimes tho, the relay would fail & not switch on. In this case I would ring AEPB, give my name & who I worked for & my Registration Number & they woud allow me to "Bridge" the hot water relay connections. Till they could get to change the relay.

Just thought you might like his bit of useless info. PJ

Interesting PJ. I think the power companies increased the pulses, or time periods, or something like that, during the power shortage around 92.

Poppa John
24-07-2011, 03:36 PM
Interesting PJ. I think the power companies increased the pulses, or time periods, or something like that, during the power shortage around 92.

Sounds about right. I was 'off the tools' by then but did hear complaints from large families that their hot water was cold. All used up. Did a few weekend ($$$) jobs putting in larger tank elements for quicker recovery. PJ

R2x1
24-07-2011, 03:45 PM
A certain power supplier that sound like they should live in a thermometer, a few years ago encouraged consumers to adapt their hot water systems to "fast recovery" (Basically, a much bigger heating element) in return for a reduced rate on the controlled power.
Once the bean counters had enough conferences, consultations, overseas study tours and power lunches they decided to do away with the separate meter for the controlled supply and also the discounted rate. I know a group of consumers became sufficiently incensed with this rather obvious rort to arrange that the ripple control merely operated a relay which switched ON the hot water and deep freeze etc. thereby thwarting the intent of the thieving rogues who inspired the con initially. It was a bit of a nuisance having to reset things to standard each summer when the "Off" times were no longer enough to ensure cold freezers and hot water but daylight saving was enough reminder.
Others listened carefully for the ripple, and switched the power off for a few seconds until the ripple was ended, then switched on the power again leaving the ripple switch on as it had been before.
Mess with people enough and they will kick over the traces (unless they are fanboys, then they beg for more).

Richard
24-07-2011, 03:56 PM
What have deep freezes got to do with it? they were never on a controlled circuit, and could be run on any power point you liked.

CliveM
24-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Does this only apply if you pay your account online.?

No so long as you pay in time the "discount" applies. Be aware that rather than being a discount the cunning stunts are penalizing the late payers. As always those short of cash are charged more.

R2x1
24-07-2011, 04:57 PM
What have deep freezes got to do with it? they were never on a controlled circuit, and could be run on any power point you liked.
Deep freezes (chest type), just like storage hot water systems, do not really require continuous power. When there was a differing rate for controlled and uncontrolled power it made sense to use the cheaper power and only have the things running during off-peak times. That was good economics for the supplier and the consumer. If you take away the carrot some of the donkeys may take a different path.

Bobh
06-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Came across a half page advert by TrustPower in the Southland Times this morning. This is more than likely nationwide.

They criticise Contact Energy for giving the 22% on-time discount only to people who get their bills by email and pay in certain ways IE direct debit or Internet banking without using their credit card. People who get their bill by snail mail and pay over the counter or post a cheque get less than half the on-time discount compared to those using direct debit or Internet banking.

They invite Contact Energy customers to join them.:groan:

DeSade
06-08-2011, 12:13 PM
My latest bill from contact had a $102 discount on it. Compared to last months bill this is without a doubt saving me money.

Bobh
06-08-2011, 12:48 PM
My latest bill from contact had a $102 discount on it. Compared to last months bill this is without a doubt saving me money.

I got a good discount as well which does help to make electricity more affordable. I prefer to do things on-line so I am doing things right to get the higher discount. I think that this advert is TrustPower poaching of Contact Energy customers who get their bills by snail mail and pay by the old method IE by cheque in the mail, or over the counter using cash, credit card, Eftpos card or cheque.

I would imagine that TrustPower is rejoicing at the increase of customers coming to them from Contact Energy. Contact Energy must at the same time be worried about losing customers.

Competition.:thumbs: I wonder what will happen next?

Trev
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
When I joined Energy Online about 5 or 6 years ago from Contact they sent me a letter and a free pen asking what they could do to get me to go back to them. I told them if they gave me 20% discount I would. Never ever heard back from them.

mikebartnz
06-08-2011, 01:52 PM
During the winter months the power company can turn your hot water heating off to save you money. :)
It has nothing to do with saving you money and everything to do with spreading the electricity load.

gary67
06-08-2011, 02:20 PM
When I joined Energy Online about 5 or 6 years ago from Contact they sent me a letter and a free pen asking what they could do to get me to go back to them. I told them if they gave me 20% discount I would. Never ever heard back from them.

Same for us when we joined Just energy Contact can't get anywhere close to there prices. Contact are pricing themselves out of the market

wainuitech
06-08-2011, 03:06 PM
All the talk of savings is good, but just out of interest, how much (Roughly) are peoples power bill / month ?

We just got ours and I think I may be getting the meters checked :eek: (didn't you hear the foul language) ;)

Bobh
06-08-2011, 03:54 PM
Is Energy Online North Island only?

Trev
06-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Yes. Just about all the North Island only.

Bobh
06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Yes. Just about all the North Island only.

Thanks, that was what I gathered. They only had a North Island map on their web site. Pity!!!:crying

gary67
07-08-2011, 10:22 AM
All the talk of savings is good, but just out of interest, how much (Roughly) are peoples power bill / month ?

We just got ours and I think I may be getting the meters checked :eek: (didn't you hear the foul language) ;)

Changing from Contact brought our power bill down roughly $30 a month, but it's not the price comparisons but how much you use. We use on average with the 3 of us 2 adults and teenage boy 16-18 units a day