PDA

View Full Version : Window product keys

Nomad
22-07-2011, 04:17 PM
May pop it here as it more a rant ..

With my IT course we were given free software but I didn't download all the ISOs :rolleyes: and on a old laptop which acts as a print server, just too cheap getting a switch for the printer or whatever they are called. So I thought that 2000 had its time, so popped XP on it, well my product key was refused, perhaps diff CD version? Then I installed it with the product key it came with ... then thought I could switch it around ... would that work or not?

Then that got me wondering about activations. Do they match the hardware? So that if you had to do a reinstall it won't bug you if you need to use it again. And if sig diff hardware it may ask you to call in right ... But if it sense that at the same time the same product key does it deactivate it?

pctek
22-07-2011, 04:24 PM
COA must match whatever version you install.
So if XP Home OEM then key can't be for XP Home Retail or XP Pro OEM. You see?
Same with Office.
Or Win7 or whatever Microsoft thing it is.

Won't work at all if it doesn't.

If you change hardware yes, Windows can decide it's on a new machine and want your to activate it again. I've always found that easy. The phone based activation asks:

Is this being installed on one PC only: Answer yes.
Has it been removed from the other PC? Now the correct answer should be no, cause what other PC? But the correct answer is yes.

And there you go, it's activated again.

Iantech
22-07-2011, 05:35 PM
You can use use a XP Home OEM product key when installing XP using a XP Home Retail disc. Same with XP Pro and I have done the same with Win 7 Pro. (Earlier this week I used a Win 7 Pro 32bit OEM key on a Win 7 Pro Retail 64bit install disc - no, I didnt activate it, just wanted to see if it worked for when I do my upgrade from 32bit to 64bit).

I'm guessing your key Nomad was an Academic or Volume Licence version which would require a different disc.

CYaBro
22-07-2011, 06:16 PM
There is a way to change a disc to another version if you only have access to that one.

Nomad
22-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Yeah .. but I don't have that version, just the email with the key on it.

Snorkbox
22-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Reported

Iantech
22-07-2011, 08:13 PM
Reported

For?

pine-o-cleen
22-07-2011, 08:25 PM
For?

Spamming. Isn't it obvious?

Catweazle
22-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Never ever trust a cleaner. They're always out to steal your stuff..

:pf1mobmini:

somebody
22-07-2011, 09:14 PM
May pop it here as it more a rant ..

With my IT course we were given free software but I didn't download all the ISOs :rolleyes: and on a old laptop which acts as a print server, just too cheap getting a switch for the printer or whatever they are called. So I thought that 2000 had its time, so popped XP on it, well my product key was refused, perhaps diff CD version? Then I installed it with the product key it came with ... then thought I could switch it around ... would that work or not?

Then that got me wondering about activations. Do they match the hardware? So that if you had to do a reinstall it won't bug you if you need to use it again. And if sig diff hardware it may ask you to call in right ... But if it sense that at the same time the same product key does it deactivate it?

The software is likely to be licensed under the MSDNAA programme. These are MSDN images which are the same as "retail" versions of the software - so if you have the licence key, you will need to find a "retail" ISO image, or an MSDN image.

wainuitech
22-07-2011, 09:33 PM
You can use use a XP Home OEM product key when installing XP using a XP Home Retail disc. Same with XP Pro and I have done the same with Win 7 Pro. (Earlier this week I used a Win 7 Pro 32bit OEM key on a Win 7 Pro Retail 64bit install disc - no, I didnt activate it, just wanted to see if it worked for when I do my upgrade from 32bit to 64bit).

I'm guessing your key Nomad was an Academic or Volume Licence version which would require a different disc. That will have been more by good luck than management that it worked :)

In the Setupp.ini file on the CD is a code, that code determines the type of product key can be used,

For Windows XP SP3

Retail: 76487335
Volume License: 76487270
OEM: 76487OEM

Same with windows 7, in the ei.cfg is the version it will accept.

you can make the DVD multi purpose , that way you select the version you want to install and can use what ever key you like (OEM, Retail volume etc) but it will have to be for the version the key is for, in other words a Home Key wont activate a Pro install.

An example of the ei.cfg file is:

[EditionID]
Ultimate
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

That ones for Ultimate / retail version.

Edited: if you have a ISO, then run This here (http://lifehacker.com/5438005/eicfg-removal-utility-lets-you-use-any-product-key-with-your-windows-7-disc) through the ISO, instant all edition ISO - then burn to DVD - you still need a legit key, just it will take any version :D

Nomad
22-07-2011, 09:47 PM
Edited: if you have a ISO, then run This here (http://lifehacker.com/5438005/eicfg-removal-utility-lets-you-use-any-product-key-with-your-windows-7-disc) through the ISO, instant all edition ISO - then burn to DVD - you still need a legit key, just it will take any version :D

You don't have one for XP do you, does it need to be a ISO, I have a CD.

wainuitech
22-07-2011, 10:04 PM
In XP any changes have to be made in notepad (or another editor) in the Setupp.ini, and of course you can do that on a CD.

For example, just checked and the PID for XP home SP3 ( from Technet) is Pid=76477000

If you look at This site (http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Product_IDs) its right.

Never really had much success changing the PIDS on XP if needed, hence my collection of different versions of XP install CD's ranging from XP (original, SP1,SP2 and Sp3 - home and professional versions -- no good without COA's of course, but handy when people dont have their install CD's.

somebody
22-07-2011, 10:32 PM
MSDNAA keys are most likely to be for XP Pro rather than XP Home.

wainuitech
22-07-2011, 10:44 PM
If MSDNAA is anything like Technet , or MSDN then its all versions (maybe with the exception of Volume) or Not.

Example in Screen shot

Iantech
22-07-2011, 11:18 PM
That will have been more by good luck than management that it worked :)

Not really. You can use an XP OEM key on a retail version providing it is the same version of Windows. ie: A WIn XP Pro OEM key on Win XP Pro Retail disc.

You are right, you cant use an XP Home key on an XP Pro install though. (or the other way around).
And I also dont think you can use a Retail key on an OEM install disc.

Although Microsoft have a little Tech Tool available for changing PID's before activation which is very handy.

For Win 7, your key will work on a 32bit or 64bit install disc (same version).

You might find This Site (http://www.askvg.com/direct-download-links-download-official-original-and-untouched-windows-7-iso-32-bit-and-64-bit/) usefull for iso's.

Cheers

wainuitech
23-07-2011, 12:02 AM
You can use an XP OEM key on a retail version providing it is the same version of Windows. ie: A WIn XP Pro OEM key on Win XP Pro Retail discEver since XP first came out I have never had that work - I'll try it again tomorrow and let you know the result.

Although Microsoft have a little Tech Tool available for changing PID's before activation which is very handy.
Had that for ages - Also known to fail as well, completely screw systems -- sysprep is far more reliable.

Edited: just did a quick look -- even Microsoft's own question /answer site say you cant do it First answer (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-windows_install/oem-key-with-a-retail-install-disk/06e27534-fe56-46f8-9f2e-7e256beda0ac) and last answer - cant use a OEM key on retail
the problem occurred because you used a retail XP installation disc and the Product Key on the laptop's sticker is for an OEM version.

Iantech
23-07-2011, 01:07 AM
Ok, done it as recent as Wednesday, and been doing it for years, but I'm not here to argue or discredit anyone. Never had the MS PID change programme fail, but havent used it alot, dont generally need to.
Each to their own and what ever way works successfully I guess.
Cheers

Nomad
23-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Thanks for a link to a wiki which gave me this MS page, so I will try it out ..
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/help/genuine/product-key

But diff, Re: Win7 and Vista it says you need to do a custom installation then it gives some (other) info. Are those instructions only to change the product key in the same distribution but if you have a diff distribution what is a "custom installation" is that boot the CD and hit custom installation :confused:

Re: sysprep that someone mentioned. If one has lost the CD or it is scratched but has the product key so is it possible to sysprep and then pop the image onto a v diff computer :confused: because it strips the hardware identifiers so it wont' crash.

Nomad
23-07-2011, 02:10 PM
And there you go, it's activated again.

That's a bit soft. Wonder why they don't be like what Adobe or game software where the moment you are connected to the Internet with that software it will lock you out.

Nomad
23-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Windows Product Key Update Tool - worked. :thumbs:

wainuitech
23-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Good you got it sorted.

The product key update would have to be run on a working system.

BTW you can install XP with SP3 (any version) without entering a product key - then enter it later, and using the Key update should also work.

Just to answer the post I mentioned last night -

It was claimed that you can use a OEM key on a retail version -- Well guess what - it didn't work. Hundreds of other forums say the same thing, as well as Microsoft, and another well know tech here as well.

Saying things like that can cause people all sorts of problems. Normally when doing a fresh install, if you try to use a OEM key on a Retail CD it fails.

Results = Fresh install, XP Pro OEM key entered on a XP Pro Retail install = Result (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/upload/P1010259.JPG) :groan:

Had I have been someone who doesn't know and followed that advise saying it worked, I'd be really pissed at the person giving the advise.

Would the person making the claim care to reply as to why it didn't work as claimed ? ;)

Iantech
23-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Please dont accuse me of providing false information WT, I dont appreciate it thanks.

As for why it didnt work for you, I'm not physic and you havent provided any further details of your installation so I cant answer you. Was your PID a Manufacturers OEM or system builders OEM PID, what Service Pack was on the key and what Service Pack was on your disc for example.

It is possible it may not work using some manufacturers OEM PIDs, I will try a few out when I have some more time.

As far as I am concerned this thread is done, as I have said, I'm not here to argue or discredit anyone. If you want to take it further, you are welcome to PM me.

I doubt I will be on before tomorrow though, Im just taking a break from upgrading my main system to 64bit (currently on laptop) - Yes, I used a Win7 64bit retail disc with my Win7 32bit OEM PID, and it has successfully activated. Only other changes made were increasing memory from 4 to 8 Gb and increasing 500Gb mirrored drives to 1Tb mirrored drives.

Thanks & good night. Have a good weekend.

wainuitech
23-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Ian, I was simply stating a fact - you posted and I quote:

You can use an XP OEM key on a retail version providing it is the same version of Windows. ie: A WIn XP Pro OEM key on Win XP Pro Retail disc.
Microsoft says its not possible (as linked) lots of other techs world wide say its not possible, so saying "Please dont accuse me of providing false information " -- It wasn't me that said it could be done.

But to answer your questions, it was a XP Pro OEM from Dove, (normal OEM software - NOT a manufactures , HP for example) and the retail was exactly that, one I swapped with a customer who had brought XP Pro Retail (from Dick Smiths I was told), never opened it, then wanted to use Vista intend.

Like wise, I'm not going to carry on a fight, just pointing out that if someone took it as fact they could use OEM on retail, and when it doesn't work they would be rather annoyed to say the least.

It would have been far better of had it been said it "may work" not you can do it.

The number of complete stuff ups I have had to fix over many years doing this job because someone said something would work is countless.

Simple question: If someone here used a OEM on retail CD as you suggested and it all turned pear shaped - would you fix the problem at y our expense if they sent the PC to you ?

Have a good weekend as well.

Twelvevolts
24-07-2011, 09:25 AM

I'm guessing your key Nomad was an Academic or Volume Licence version which would require a different disc.
I activated a 32 bit Student Select Windows 7 Ultimate Disk as a 64 Bit edition. I did loan a 64 bit install disk but it activated just fine with the original serial number.

wainuitech
24-07-2011, 10:52 AM
Windows 7 is no problems, the 32bit keys will work on the 64bit installs and the other way around as well :)

There have been many articles describing how to make a "universal" W7 DVD, that means it will accept any key, OEM, Retail, Volume, Academic, Enterprise etc Like Vista the W7 DVD actually contains all versions of W7.

Alex B
24-07-2011, 01:13 PM
BTW you can install XP with SP3 (any version) without entering a product key

Don't think you can with a vlk disk, but retail and OEM defiantly.

wainuitech
24-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Some of the Volume come Pre Pidded and dont give the option to enter a Product key, they can still be changed afterward though if required.

A good example of that is the Windows 7 Trial Enterprise 90-day Trial From here (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495) - The Product key is already applied and not asked for during install, and while you can change it later, you have to have an enterprise key, other versions wont work.