PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Satellite A200 Laptop problem

Cptn Hotshot
22-07-2011, 11:16 AM
The laptop has all of a sudden (on boot up) shown 4 quadriants on screen, each replicating the boot sequence and eventually Windows. All are relatively too small to read.

The battery holds full charge but what I did find is that if I let the battery run down and then recharge it, on boot up the screen is back to normal. However, after a period of time (while battery still holds full charge) on the next boot up it is back to showing 4 quadriants.

Any idea what the issue is and means of correction?

Cptn Hotshot
22-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Forgot to mention am running Vista Home Basic with 2.5GB RAM

pctek
22-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Time for a new battery?

Cptn Hotshot
22-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Have replaced the battery recently and it still does it.

feersumendjinn
22-07-2011, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a video/motherboard hardware fault for it to "tile" the display like that, may even be a screen problem (have you tried connecting another screen to it?).
Is it still under warranty?

Alex B
22-07-2011, 07:48 PM
Sounds like a video/motherboard hardware fault for it to "tile" the display like that, may even be a screen problem (have you tried connecting another screen to it?).
Is it still under warranty?

Yeah sounds like the classic nvidia graphics card fault to me.

Cptn Hotshot
23-07-2011, 05:57 PM
It is long out of warranty. No I don't have another monitor to try it on. If it is the inbuilt graphics, which what now appears to be the case, I would say it is kaput. Maybe time to look for a replacement.

Cptn Hotshot
11-09-2011, 08:24 PM
Yeah sounds like the classic nvidia graphics card fault to me.

Gave the lappy to a friend who attached the laptop to an external display. It displayed on the external screen correctly so obviously it is not the graphics card. Had mentioned to me that it is the LCD controller. What is that? Is it replaceable? At what cost?

Cptn Hotshot
13-09-2011, 08:01 AM
Bump. Can anyone assist?
Thanks.

B52
13-09-2011, 06:56 PM
The LCD controller or LCD converter is a board about the size of your middle finger. That converts the signal for the LCD. It can be replace provided that you have the part and the time to replace it. Be warned, it is a very delicate process to replace it. Otherwise you can take it to a repair shop citing the problem.