PDA

View Full Version : PC users lose $10m to fake computer virus scam

Trev
22-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10740061)
:)

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2011, 09:56 AM
And here http://pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=119402

Bobh
22-07-2011, 10:09 AM
This scam has been well publicised. I am surprised people are still falling for it.

R2x1
22-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Here. (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10740061)
:)
And here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/There%27s_a_sucker_born_every_minute)

Bobh
22-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Con-men are fed by suckers.

R2x1
22-07-2011, 10:26 AM
However, $10,000,000.00 probably is only a fraction of the amount creamed off by Norton "Security", and at least the spammers leave your computer running pretty much at it's former speed.

wainuitech
22-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Same ol Same ol, there will always be scammers and always be people that get suckered in.

One part of the article made me :)

And I'm nearly computer illiterate, so when I saw them opening up what looked like viruses in my computer

So the guy doesn't a lot about computers (no problems there) but if so how does he know what a virus looks like then ?:confused: :rolleyes:

R2x1
22-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Born for Apple?

pcuser42
22-07-2011, 11:09 AM
Had one of these guys call again the other day. Dad asked them if they had read the newspaper and said their scam was on the front page :lol:

johcar
22-07-2011, 11:10 AM
"Do you still have the box the computer came in, sir? Pack it up and take it back to the store and tell them you're too stupid to own it."

kahawai chaser
22-07-2011, 01:32 PM
Maybe Telecom, Microsoft or NZ government, or some agency should run a TV campaign to warn people.

B.M.
22-07-2011, 03:17 PM
And these people are allowed to vote! :rolleyes:

They will help choose your next Government. :eek:

Good luck. :)

Digby
22-07-2011, 07:01 PM
I means its been mentioned here and in the press since November last year !

I like the response one radio talk back host says he uses.

He says great, thanks for calling, I've been writing a few viruses and its great that you have picked them up ! Do you think your computer will have them by now ?

R2x1
22-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Did the scam catch anyone who didn't richly deserve it?

rob_on_guitar
22-07-2011, 08:47 PM
I think its funny, probably the same people who passed laws on downloading etc and the same judges that pass judgement on computer crimes that get suckered.

Billy T
23-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Did the scam catch anyone who didn't richly deserve it?

I think that is grossly unfair. There are many computer 'users' who know nothing beyond the 'on' button and the keyboard, and it is they whom the scammers are targeting. If the number of calls I have received is anything to go by (10+ and counting) these callers are very active indeed and they prey intentionally upon the innocent and trusting.

I suspect you would change your tune in an instant if an elderly or simply computer-naive member of your own family or circle of friends was scammed for a sum of money they couldn't afford to lose.

I'd like also to know the rationale behind your concept of "richly deserving it" too please.

We could then all apply that to burglaries, assaults, earthquake damage, cancer, motor-vehicle accidents and whole host of other unfortunate experiences. Sharing in your obviously deep insight into human foibles and weaknesses would let us too feel justly righteous, and would doubtlessly induce in us all a warm glow of satisfaction when in future hearing of the misfortunes of other, less superior, beings.

Billy

R2x1
23-07-2011, 07:27 PM
I suspect you would change your tune in an instant if an elderly or simply computer-naive member of your own family or circle of friends was scammed for a sum of money they couldn't afford to lose.

I'd like also to know the rationale behind your concept of "richly deserving it" too please.

Billy
The people who asked you, got good advice, followed it and didn't get scammed didn't deserve to be scammed.
The two people not far from here who asked, were advised to steer clear,then went ahead and snapped the bait anyway would seem to be the obvious prey of these scams. Saying "But when they called back, they sounded like they really knew what they were talking about" cut very little ice with me. Both these people seem to assume that I have nothing more pressing to do than get their viruses out. Latest virus one of them got inspired me to advise them to ring India; collect. That is going to be the standard reply from now on. They can pay with the lottery winnings they are patiently awaiting.

If you consider someone should keep on fixing these self inflicted injuries just because the victims are old (but not as old as me), should I get them to PM you? ;)

pctek
23-07-2011, 07:50 PM

Nope.
I didn't. He got away with it (bank stopped the credit card) and not this particular scam.

But no, told him what an idiot he was, he should know better, how and why it was so obvious.

Ok, so that's once.
Scam me once - shame on you, scam me twice, shame on me. That's what I said.

Agent_24
23-07-2011, 11:34 PM
Tell them they should call up Nigeria, I hear there are a lot of wealthy dead princes there who have nobody to inherit their money...