PDA

View Full Version : snail-paced downloads etc

10-10-2001, 05:59 PM
My internet everything is slow I would like to know how to change the settings to get a bit more speed up. There is a way but I have forgotten how to do it. For instance it takes 25-30 minutes to download a 1.60mb file.
I would appreciate some help on this
Thanks

10-10-2001, 06:12 PM
Whoa! What do you connect at? what modem do you have? rural person?

10-10-2001, 06:21 PM
Hello Debbie. You may find the program: Download Accelerator, very helpful find it at http://www.speedbit.com/
This FREE program will find mirror sites (where available)to help speed up the download process. This should help with your slow downloads.
Regards Ian.

10-10-2001, 10:13 PM
when you double left click the two computers in the right bottom side of your screen, what speed does it say you are connected at? Also what speed modem do you have?

12-10-2001, 01:53 AM
try this site to test and tweak your pchttp://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BandwidthResults.asp

12-10-2001, 01:53 AM
try this site to test and tweak your pc
http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/BandwidthResults.asp

12-10-2001, 10:05 PM
Thank-you for that Ian I will give it a go and see what happens.
Regards
Debbie

12-10-2001, 10:11 PM
I have a 56k modem V.90
at the moment it is at 44,000bps but it does vary in speed.

I am lost as the phone lines are fine I had them come out and check but even waiting for a web page to load I can be waiting for up to 5 minutes before it is done.
It's got me beat????

12-10-2001, 10:13 PM
I have a 56k modem V.90
at the moment it is at 44,000bps but it does vary in speed.

I am lost as the phone lines are fine I had them come out and check but even waiting for a web page to load I can be waiting for up to 5 minutes before it is done.
It's got me beat????

Debbie

12-10-2001, 10:21 PM
At the moment I am connected at 44,000bps and I have a 56k V.90 modem.

I live in a small town but I have just had telecom out to check everything as I was getting so frustrated. They said the lines are fine etc.

An example is That just now it took 3 minutes to load this response page fully - now that is slow!!!!!

Debbie

12-10-2001, 10:25 PM
Thank-you Gordon I will give it a go and post you back to let you know how I got on
Cheers
Debbie

14-10-2001, 05:21 AM
Do a virus scan and download Ad-aware and Zone Alarm Pro also a program called Window Washer and Webwasher, Regcleaner and do a spring clean of your system the more you surf the more you acquire spyware that hogs your memory resources. what sort of PC are you running try to get more ram for it on trademe.co.nz I got 256 megs for $80!!
If you want all of those programs contact me kiwibeat@hotmail.com and I can send you a copy of all those programs plus some other ones I use myself on one disk.regards gordon

15-10-2001, 08:50 PM
The programs that Gordon suggests are very good, but I would warn you not to install them all at once! If any problems crop up then you wouldn't know which were the culprits, so do one at a time, leaving several days or plenty of computer time between each.

I think maybe your PC needs a good spring clean -- it helps a lot. Delete unused files, programs, etc, defrag, clean out your cookies, temp folder (reduce the amount that the temp internet files holds), history (make sure history is set to hold things for only a couple of days), etc.

I have just installed 128mb ram alongside the original 32mb and have been amazed that not only does everything else run faster, but so does my internet stuff. Maybe not the connection itself, but pages open faster and run better. Very good investment in my opinion.

Good luck!

16-10-2001, 02:33 PM
jusy installed the 256 ram up to 512megs now and it makes the PC run really quickly a lot smoother best $80 spent .
you can buy better memory check out prices at ascent.co.nz etc