PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help please

ollieogg
21-07-2011, 04:19 PM
:eek:

My daughter and partner have just taken over a company that has been liquidated. They purchased the left over stock etc. Included in this is a couple of computers in the office. When I try to start them up they are setup for "administrator" and as you can guess, no one knows the password. What can we do? We are hesitant to do a complete reinstall in case we wipe anything that we may need. I also don't believe there are any back up disks etc anyway. HELP.... All we know is that it is Windows 7 professional. Any and all help will be very gratefully received.:help:

lakewoodlady
21-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Is your daughter able to get hold of the previous owners and ask them?

If not, have they tried all the obvious ones like admin, password, or enter?

ollieogg
21-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Unfortunately it is not possible for us to contact the previous owners, and I would doubt that they would be helpful in any shape or form. We have tried the obvious but no such luck :(

ollieogg
21-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Its asking for a username as well as a password:groan:

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 04:55 PM
You can download and run NTpassword (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/), run through the processes and change the password to one you want. Had it fail several times though.

Personally I use different software / bootable CD that blows it away within a few seconds,no need to know the previous password, but its not free.

Edited: on the admin account ( booted in safe mode), try 741852

ollieogg
21-07-2011, 05:09 PM
What is the name of the programme?

What does the above line mean? and what should I do with it? Yes I am no techie lol

kjaada
21-07-2011, 05:30 PM
You could try a bootable Linux CD and transfer the Documents folder etc to another partition but you would probably need help.It would be pretty simple for someone with a linux disk.

lakewoodlady
21-07-2011, 05:35 PM
What is the name of the programme?

What does the above line mean? and what should I do with it? Yes I am no techie lol

Boot into safe mode and use 741852 for the password.

@ Wainuitech, where did you pull that number from?

LL

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 05:40 PM
It means, start the PC, keep tapping the F8 key, using the arrow keys, select safe mode, when you get the log on screen there will be teh "administrator" account, try the password 741852

re the number ??

look at the numeric keys on the right of the keyboard - they are in two vertical rows, 741852 is also a common password administrators use ;)

May or may not be it.

The Password changer I use is Active@password changer (http://www.password-changer.com/) from a bootable CD.

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2011, 05:48 PM
I've used NT password twice before no probs at all. I just kept everything at the default settings, then pressed q / so it writes at the end. And wiped the password completely

Catweazle
21-07-2011, 06:28 PM
+1 for nt password. It saved my rear end a lot of times. Theres nothing like stepping into a colleges IT role where the previous tech left in a big huff and provided no information.. As speedy says, leave settings on default.

:pf1mobmini:

pctek
21-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Included in this is a couple of computers in the office. When I try to start them up they are setup for "administrator" and as you can guess, no one knows the password.

Are they a client/server setup or stand alone.
Why not pull the HDDs, see whats on it and retrieve whatever might be needed then reformat?

If they went into liquidation the accounts are probably all lies anyway.