PDA

View Full Version : Daughter needs help please

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 03:14 PM
She has an Asus model A6Q-00VM with Win XP pro op system.

She was using it and turned off in the correct manner.
When she now tries to power up it makes all the right boot up noises but shows nothing on the screen and no keys seem to work except Cntl/Alt/Del which again makes all the correct boot up noises.

Does anybody have any idear's on her problem and how to fix it please.

TIA, Dad.

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Have a look at the top left hand corner of the screen, is there a very small flashing line , its often not seen unless you are looking for it.

Also on the Hard Drive activity light, is it on, off or flashing ?

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 03:27 PM
Nothing at top left corner.

HDD light flashes while boot noises are occurring but then goes off.

Power light is on and other lights are normal apparently.
Cheers,

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 03:30 PM
Note :-
Daughter in Wellington with no inet access, me in Nelson as relay !

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Does safe mode / safe mode / networking work?

Cato
21-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Is the screen lit up? Ie, it's blank but not quite "off"?

Which graphics chip does it have?
If it's an NVIDIA 7/8400 they have been known to die spontaneously due to overheating.

Heat melts crappy soldering, re-soldering what people seem to also call "GPU replacement" is about 250-300$.

Cato
21-07-2011, 03:46 PM

LOL did you read anything the OP has posted?? :p

You need to stop with the coffee bro :D

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Press ctrl-alt-del, then go to task / new task / type explorer.exe. See if the desktop comes up

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2011, 03:48 PM
LOL did you read anything the OP has posted?? :p

You need to stop with the coffee bro :D

Didnt say anything about safe mode

Cato
21-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Dude... Seriously?

READ.

He said nothing shows up and it only makes from the drive/fan spinning up...

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 03:59 PM

Great.... Comes up OK in safe mode (administrator), and all seems to work OK !

Cato
21-07-2011, 04:00 PM
Good to know it works.

I'm just going to go and kill myself now. :(

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 04:01 PM
Is the screen lit up? Ie, it's blank but not quite "off"?

Which graphics chip does it have?
If it's an NVIDIA 7/8400 they have been known to die spontaneously due to overheating.

Heat melts crappy soldering, re-soldering what people seem to also call "GPU replacement" is about 250-300$.

Hi, it has NVidia GeForce 7300 chip with 256MB turbo cache

Cato
21-07-2011, 04:03 PM
Never mind me, I read you post and thought you meant something entirely different.

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Hi Guys, All's working as it should now. Starting in safe mode seems to have fixed it !

Great but puzzling .
Many thanks to all.

Lurking
We have an Acer TravelMate 520 with XP Pro on it, which does the same thing.

But it had a 21" CRT fall 3 feet onto it.

EQC claim for this one tho.

Hope those 6.3 February/June quakes have finished for a while.

Lurking.

Ps. someone on here said to put lappy in the hot water cupboard, as moisture may be a cause for a machine not booting.

lurks.

Speedy Gonzales
Wonder if its this black screen of death (that can happen with some Nvidia cards)? But I think this will cause the system to reboot all the time (like its crashing). Altho if it gets into safe mode, it maybe something in startup? I would check event viewer.. See what errors have come up

jupiter1
21-07-2011, 05:34 PM
Well guys,
I spoke too soon, it died again in the same manner with just the screen saver active at time of failure.

I have got her to boot in safe mode again and run her antivirus (Avast) and then do chkdsk /f

Waiting for the results of that and will post results.

May get her to d/load MalwareBytes and run that as well.
She has got SpyBot and Adware to run as well.

Will post later.

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Blimey go out to do a job and a war starts :p :lol:

If it starts in safe mode Ok, but crashes in Normal with the screen saver, then its possible the graphic drivers are corrupted.

What I would do, is start it in safe mode (with networking) if you want the internet, leave it a while ( or use it) and see if it crashes again.

If it doesn't, then rip out the drivers, and install fresh ones. If you remove the graphic Drivers via Add/remove programs, it may try to load them back in automatically on reboot, if this happens you can let it do its thing, reboot and see what happens, if it crashes again, remove again, reboot but stop them from installing automatically next time, and install the new ones downloaded.

pctek
21-07-2011, 07:44 PM
May get her to d/load MalwareBytes and run that as well.
She has got SpyBot and Adware to run as well.

Adware???? Do you mean AdAware? If so, forget it, it's been useless for ages.

Spybot and Malware bytes.

Although malware won't do that sort of thing.

Iantech
21-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Hope those 6.3 February/June quakes have finished for a while.

Lurking.

For Ever I tell you, not for a while, not ever!! After I'm dead, then I dont really care, but I'm over and done with them. Sick of screwed roads, sick of conjested streets trying to get from job to job and sick of a dirty car!!
No more please :(

Lurking
21-07-2011, 10:37 PM
For Ever I tell you, not for a while, not ever!! After I'm dead, then I dont really care, but I'm over and done with them. Sick of screwed roads, sick of conjested streets trying to get from job to job and sick of a dirty car!!

Okay I get the drift and heartily agree.

That's why I gave up Meals on Wheels and Community Watch, the first was stuffing up my car and the latter my body it could not take the bl**dy bumping around in pot holes.

We are easties, so you would know what the roads are like on this side of town.

Lurking.

John H
22-07-2011, 09:16 AM
Had the same symptoms with my PC with a Nvidia video card. It would fire up sometimes and other times completely blank screen but all the sounds of booting up.

Problem was fixed by replacing the video card.

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Thanks John H, hope to have much better idea later today on this problem.
Will keep all responders informed of results.
Not sure what "Lurking" and "Iantech" are on about, a different posting I suspect.
Cheers,

Lurking
22-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks John H, hope to have much better idea later today on this problem.
Will keep all responders informed of results.
Not sure what "Lurking" and "Iantech" are on about, a different posting I suspect.
Cheers,

Nope jupiter1 !!

Our laptop was doing exactly the same thing you described, until we remembered what had happened during the February earthquake "chaos ruled at that time", the laptop was underneath the 21 inch CRT screen, which had fallen down from atop the desktop pc, some 3 feet.

Will post a picture of the room when we find it amongst the 80 photos taken.

Lurking.

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 11:31 AM
And what was the cause, has it been fixed or is it still under the rubble ?

Lurking
22-07-2011, 11:36 AM

B u g g e r, spoke too soon !.

jupiter1 seems to think we are on a different tack, lol.

If only they were here to see what happened to computers' two of mine finished up on the floor and wifey's on a trolley was shunted out from the wall but remained upright, thanks to being on wheels.

But thanks to a 13 day power outage the boxes all came back to life fully, except the laptop, which would bootup and remain with a black screen.

Will get a new one from the EQC payout, rofl.

Lurking.

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 11:42 AM
my other daughter and her laptop was in all 3 EQ's. Her PhD graduation has been delayed by a year as a result.

Lurking
22-07-2011, 11:59 AM
my other daughter and her laptop was in all 3 EQ's. Her PhD graduation has been delayed by a year as a result.

jupiter1, sorry to hear that, our daughter was about to start on her higher qualifications too, she got her BA in microbiology using our laptop.

She does have a paper in a US magazine, but expects her Dad to pay to have the mag. shipped over, perhaps we will.

Attaching 3 photos of computer room, the one on the right you can just see the external mouse poking his nose out from under the CRT screen, lol.

EQC will want to see more than that no doubt.

Lurking.

sahilcc7
22-07-2011, 12:26 PM
jupiter1, sorry to hear that, our daughter was about to start on her higher qualifications too, she got her BA in microbiology using our laptop.

She does have a paper in a US magazine, but expects her Dad to pay to have the mag. shipped over, perhaps we will.

Attaching 3 photos of computer room, the one on the right you can just see the external mouse poking his nose out from under the CRT screen, lol.

EQC will want to see more than that no doubt.

Lurking.

Feel sorry for you guys down there :(

Lurking
22-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Feel sorry for you guys down there :(

sahilcc7, thanks for your concern, it's appreciated.

Lurking.

Lurking
22-07-2011, 03:44 PM
And what was the cause, has it been fixed or is it still under the rubble ?

We have just had our full EQC inspection done on 21 July and we have to forward a list of the contents affected by the quake, which we are finalizing at present.

As bedrooms 2 and 3 were less important to clean up, (you should have seen master bedroom and bedroom 3) probably 3 or 4 weeks after 22nd Feb before we even dared to enter them.

Put it in the hot water cupboard and will take it out and try booting up again sometime soon.

Lurking.

pctek
22-07-2011, 04:30 PM
sick of conjested streets trying to get from job to job and sick of a dirty car!!

Hey, remember, it's temporary for you.....

I have congested roads here. It's normal.

Down South I had a dirty car - everyone did - it was all the cow poo on the roads.

Lurking
22-07-2011, 05:13 PM
Well after 24 hours in the hot water cupboard, the laptop has come to life.

BIOS V3.3
0261760 kb mem good
CMOS battery bad
Real timeclock error

Came up in Safe Mode

Wanted a restore point and it came with January calendar arrowed over to 2nd.

Waited ages for this to happen came back with a Restore point 30 April ?.

Battery is at 77%
Clock is 2.5 hours behind.

So it probably only needs a new cmos battery.

How the daughter managed to get her BA with this load of s***, we will never know.

Will take it in for the new battery and check for more memory, but a new one will probably be bought with the same repair bill.

Marvelous what a bit of warmth will do, lol.

Lurking.

Iantech
22-07-2011, 05:59 PM
Nice one Lurking on the Laptop :thumbs:

Yep, a good rattle this morning huh - bloody things!!

Sorry jupiter1 for taking your post off topic.

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Nice one Lurking on the Laptop :thumbs:

Yep, a good rattle this morning huh - bloody things!!

Sorry jupiter1 for taking your post off topic.

That's OK.
I will drag it back when I get a reply from my daughter in Wgtn about her efforts to test her lappy.

See you had another today, hope it wasn't too nerve racking for you all.

ada1988
22-07-2011, 06:38 PM
you can ask the sevice stuff of after-sales.
or click the Ctrl+Alt+Delete at the same time,then do something it told you.:)

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 08:41 PM
Hi Guys,
Daughter ran chkdsk /f , spybot, both of which found nothing.

she also ran adaware which found a worm, will let me know which one tommorow, (short memory retention of a youngster).

Lappy is running OK in normal mode at moment.
Will D/L MalwareBytes tommorow and run and report back.

Will update U all then.
Many thanks for help to date.
cheers,
Jupiter1 (Phil).

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I would disable system restore. Then do another full scan

jupiter1
22-07-2011, 10:25 PM
I would disable system restore. Then do another full scan

Thanks Speedy, will tell her that.
It will tomorrow now, she has to work all day tomorrow.
Will report back after that.

Speedy Gonzales
22-07-2011, 10:30 PM
Run this see if its got a rootkit

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684

If it doesnt boot into windows normally, boot into safe mode / networking

Also, if its an autorun worm (if she uses flash drives) scan them / write protect them. Because if she uses them / and theyre infected, they'll re-infect the system again (if you plug it into a USB port)

jupiter1
23-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Run this see if its got a rootkit

If it doesnt boot into windows normally, boot into safe mode / networking

Also, if its an autorun worm (if she uses flash drives) scan them / write protect them. Because if she uses them / and theyre infected, they'll re-infect the system again (if you plug it into a USB port)

Thanks Speedy, will take her through all this tonight and get back to you.

jupiter1
23-07-2011, 09:00 PM
Hi,
My daughter ran SpyBot and found nothing.

She also ran AdAware and found a "Worm" which she deleted and can not find the log for it so does not know which worm it was.

she downloaded "Malware bytes " and ran this, the log is attached
she deleted this and hopes that this fixed the problem.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.1.1800
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 7246

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

23/07/2011 6:36:25 p.m.
mbam-log-2011-07-23 (18-36-25).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|E:\|F:\|G:\|)
Objects scanned: 257166
Time elapsed: 43 minute(s), 17 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 5
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 1

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowHelp (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Start_ShowMyDocs (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (0) Good: (1) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify (PUM.Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
c:\system volume information\_restore{2c2d4d19-e122-4472-8851-1cadeb52d51a}\RP89\A0031913.exe (Trojan.Agent.CK) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Awaiting reply on current status of laptop.

jupiter1
23-07-2011, 09:05 PM
I am suggesting that she does :-

With the help of her Techy brother in Wgtn.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Also run this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill, It'll terminate any running malware processes

You only need one (get rkill.exe). The other renamed ones are in case (if its malware), it may terminate rkill's process

jupiter1
23-07-2011, 11:41 PM
OK Guys, Summary to date :-

She ran SpyBot which found nothing.
She then ran Ad aware which found a Worm.
She quarantened this and deleted it, unforunately she didn't note which worm it was.
She then ran Malware Bytes which found a Trogan which was quarentened and deleted.
Log file is in above posting.

The lappy has now been running in normal mode for 6 1/2 hours without a problem.

She doesn't use usb run disks

If further problems occur I will get her to run

http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208280684 and

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...ti-virus/rkill has suggested by Speedy G.

stay tuned, many thanks to all. Phil.

jupiter1
25-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys,
Well, the lappy has been running properly now for two days so we are assuming that it is fixed due to the two nasties removed mentioned above.

If this proves not to be the case I will get my daughter to run the repair programs mentioned by Speedy in the postings above.

I will report back if this is necessary so keep a watch for the "Daughter needs help" thread.

Many thanks to all that helped with this problem.

Cheers,
hil.

Iantech
25-07-2011, 11:50 PM
Hi,
Database version: 7246

Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

Hi jupiter1, can I suggest she updates it to service pack 3 and Internet Explorer 8 if the machine can take it.

Glad its running much better, Congrats.

jupiter1
26-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Thanks Iantech,
I have passed your suggestion on. The laptop should handle both those OK, it is fairly high spec'ed. We got it for her Design degree.
Cheers, Phil.