PDA

View Full Version : Asus Extended Warranty?

truffle_pig
21-07-2011, 01:42 PM
I've recently bought an Asus laptop and I was just wondering if it would be worth buying an extended warranty for it. The model I have only has a one year warranty unlike the more common two year type, so it would be good to get some advice on what I should do.

Thanks.

gary67
21-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Well you are covered by the CGA assuming your here in NZ, so I personally wouldn't

truffle_pig
21-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Well you are covered by the CGA assuming your here in NZ, so I personally wouldn't

Do you know how long the CGA provides cover for this sort of situation (I am in NZ)?

Thanks.

dugimodo
21-07-2011, 02:29 PM
CGA says things must be suitable for the purpose they are sold and last a reasonable amount of time. Reasonable is open to debate but 1 year is on the low side.

I usually dont bother with extended warranties. All they really offer is hassle free peace of mind if a product fails outside it's warranty in which case the CGA would usually apply. What you are paying for is to not have to argue about it.

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 03:11 PM
The extended warranties are not covered by the manufacture.

They are actually some insurance company covering the product which is working with the shop offering the extension.

As its already been mentioned the CGA will cover it, and any extended warranty from shops, you can bet your boots, they will use any excuse not to honor them. (seen it happen countless times)

Under the CGA they state the Economic life: 3-7 years - keep in mind that a laptop usually will not last as long as a desktop PC simply because it gets bumped around, dropped or other moving damage that a Desktop doesn't get subjected to.
Computers
Economic life: 3-7 years.
Life expectancy: 5 years (but if you keep up with software releases, your computer may be obsolete much sooner).
Repair: Power supply. Consider an upgrade if motherboard, hard drive or monitor fail.

CYaBro
21-07-2011, 05:00 PM
The Asus Extended Warranties are actually from Asus themselves and not the retailer.

pctek
21-07-2011, 07:46 PM
The extended warranties are not covered by the manufacture.

Under the CGA they state the Economic life: 3-7 years - .
ASUS do have one - their own. Most extended warranties are crap because
A)You're covered anyway
B)Most have nasty small print that eliminates almost everything from being covered anyway.

Don't know what ASUS small print says, never read it because I've never bothered with it.

CGA - 3 - 7 years, yes, all depends on whether they consider it
A)Crap or good brand
B)How it's been used

and other things..........

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 11:02 PM
The OP never said if it was an ASUS or the normal style extended warranty.

Even If it were the Asus extended warranty (http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/extend_warranty.html) its going by that only another two years, and the OP did mention "buying a warranty" then its still a rip off as the CGA would still cover the time for no additional cost.

truffle_pig
21-07-2011, 11:15 PM
The OP never said if it was an ASUS or the normal style extended warranty.

Even If it were the Asus extended warranty (http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_NB_Warranty/extend_warranty.html) its going by that only another two years, and the OP did mention "buying a warranty" then its still a rip off as the CGA would still cover the time for no additional cost.

I did mean getting an Asus warranty as opposed to a retailer's one.

wainuitech
21-07-2011, 11:30 PM
One good thing about the Asus warranty, is the Accidental Damage Protection, just make sure that is included as well, as no other warranty will cover Accidental Damage - thats normally an insurance issue then.

Going by that USA site:
The ASUS Accidental Damage Protection (ADP) protects ASUS-branded notebook computers from accidental damage incurred from electrical surges, fire, drops, and spills. It covers the notebook itself and any built-in or onto-the-base accessories - FREE of charge. it’s a one-year warranty from the date of purchase. One incident per Notebook. So after the first year its just general failure, which should be covered by the CGA.

Edited: Read what the warranty covers in NZ, because it will be different to the one in USA thats linked, under the FAQ (http://completewarranty.asus.com/Content/US/ADP/ADP.aspx) it says only for USA and Canada. Trying to locate the actual NZ version of the warranty is painful.

Like ANY warranty you have to read the "small print" ;)