PDA

View Full Version : Logical and Primary Disks

Bobh
20-07-2011, 05:23 PM
What is the difference between a Primary disk and a Logical disk?

GameJunkie
20-07-2011, 05:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_disk

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_primary_hard_disk_and_secondary_hard_disk

Paul.Cov
20-07-2011, 08:27 PM
I could be wrong, coz I've been a bit at sea with some of the foramtting jargon at times myself, but I believe Primary (as opposed to secondary) refers to a single physical HDD, which is configured as the first item to access on that particular interface (or cable).

Whereas a logical drive can be a physical drive, or any number of portions (partitions) of that drive.

For example, I have only one HDD installed, but it is partitioned into C: and D:, giving 2 logical drives from the one physical drive.

Your primary drive will typically get C: assigned to it's first active pratition.
Your secendary drive(s) will typically get assigned drive letters further along the alphabet.

The whole primary/secondary thing seems destined to history now with SATA interfaces supporting only one physical drive per cable.

johnd
20-07-2011, 10:38 PM
What is the difference between a Primary disk and a Logical disk?
Do you mean "primary partition" and "logical partition"?

A traditional partitioning system allows up to 4 primary partitions on a disk. If you wanted more than 4 partitions then you would remove one of the primary partitions and replace it with an extended partition which is like a placeholder for many logical partitions (inside the extended partition).

Bobh
21-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Do you mean "primary partition" and "logical partition"?

A traditional partitioning system allows up to 4 primary partitions on a disk. If you wanted more than 4 partitions then you would remove one of the primary partitions and replace it with an extended partition which is like a placeholder for many logical partitions (inside the extended partition).

Yes I should have said the difference between primary and logical partitions.