PDA

View Full Version : xp will not bootup after holiday

Advocar
19-07-2011, 11:47 PM
HP Compac D330 UT F2 BG XP all MS updates installed.

Prior to 8 week holiday disconnected mains power and internet connection

After return home turn PC on, two beeps then stop for 5 seconds then repeat again and again. Checked all externals connections to pc. OK Opened up PC all fans running. disconnected all power plugs etc and replaced external /internal.

Same as above. checked motherboard date/ backup battery 3.499 volts. replaced now 3.6 volts with no beeps, no bootup

Motherboard led on. unless power lead disconnected then off approx 15 sec

On startup both leds on start button come on and stay on. Fans running and slight vibration can be felt on both H drives. Startup sequence DVD 1 then DV2 leds go on then off in sequence. Then floppy disk drive led come on and stays on. During this time monitor has no display but if I turn its power from on to off then on it will change led from orange to green display text (No signal) then revert to orange.

If I put windows xp cd in it will stop its cycle, try to read it for approx 6 seconds then move to next DVD and floppy. Will not start installation process.

Mouse, Kbd, printer, usb. Have unpluged all usb plugs no change. Have tested front and rear usb no change, usb sockets OK when plug mouse keybd in as leds light up and mouse.

Have pushed comms cables to HD DVD in.

Next action will remove all comms cables and replace

I have a laptop but no other desktop pc to check hd but may be able to borrow one to check HD. Any thoughts??

:thanks

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Is there anything in the floppy? If there's nothing in it, if the led stays on its connected the wrong way. Check that the ram is in properly. Or remove the sticks. put them in one by one (if youre using more than 1 stick of ram). See if it comes on. With one or all sticks of ram

zqwerty
20-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Keep it in a warm room for a day or two then try it, I have seen four computers under my care in Christchurch, after the earthquake recovered from buildings in red zone, haven't run for months and wouldn't boot, after two days in warm dry moderate temperature all worked ok, it's the old PSU's causing the problem.

Condensation on the pcb's in low current high impedance circuitry causes problems.

feersumendjinn
20-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Check for bad capacitors on motherboard and in power supply unit (this computer would be of sufficient age for this to occur (2003-2004ish (http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=342068&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=342066&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1098)?), check against this page (can be repaired if you're keen)).
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

pctek
20-07-2011, 08:17 AM
Prior to 8 week holiday disconnected mains power and internet connection

After return home turn PC on, two beeps then stop for 5 seconds then repeat again and again.

On startup both leds on start button come on and stay on. During this time monitor has no display but if I turn its power from on to off then on it will change led from orange to green display text (No signal) then revert to orange.

If I put windows xp cd in it will stop its cycle, try to read it for approx 6 seconds then move to next DVD and floppy. Will not start installation process.

It's pretty old now.
I'd say hardware failure. It won't be the HDD - it worked, you left, it now doesn't.

Motherboard is my guess.

B.M.
20-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Depending on the BIOS the number and sequence of beeps could be telling you the RAM needs reseating.

Try removing the RAM and replacing it.

Iíve had this problem on a number of occasions and reseating the RAM has cured it.

Bryan
20-07-2011, 08:54 AM
As per zqwerty, if you have a hot water closet, put it in there for a day or so.

onelateknight
22-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Nobody has mentioned removing and re-seating the ram ?

Iantech
22-07-2011, 07:45 PM
Nobody has mentioned removing and re-seating the ram ?

Depending on the BIOS the number and sequence of beeps could be telling you the RAM needs reseating.

Try removing the RAM and replacing it.

Iíve had this problem on a number of occasions and reseating the RAM has cured it.

Yep, they did.

Advocar
23-07-2011, 03:23 PM
Hi Guys, have been away but yesterday removed all plugs again removed comms cables to hard drive dvd etc. removed memory and cleaned all dust out. removed mother board checked for faulty caps none found cleaned back of motherboard and replaced evrything did find dust on pins to hdrive. PC up and running now

Thanks for comments