PDA

View Full Version : Gotta new mini and problems

Thomas01
19-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Got myself a very nice HP Mini Netbook and enjoyed myself getting it going tonight with everything I needed.
Then met a snag. It has no CD or DVD drives of course and I did just what people had told me to do. Copied a CD (actually an old version of MSWorks I like), to a USB flash drive and used that to setup the program. Didn't work did it. Kept telling me to insert the CD. I was able to copy the files over though and that worked but I cannot see that working with some more complex programs. Removing the flash drive even gave problems - again insert the CD.

I know buying a separate DVD drive will solve the problem but I don't want to do that. It did make me wonder what others in the same position have been doing.

Speedy Gonzales
19-07-2011, 10:00 PM
You could use some virtual cd program. And create an ISO of the CD?

Thats probably the only (other) thing that'll work

ubergeek85
19-07-2011, 11:07 PM
ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com/) can create an ISO image of the disc, then just get a copy of daemon tools lite (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/products/dtLite), it mounts the image as if it were an actual disc in a drive. It won't work with some copy-protected game CDs, but other than that, it should do the job.

When you click on the link for daemon tools lite, just click on the 'download' button, it is free for personal use.

Thomas01
20-07-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the advice chaps.
Trouble is I didn't understand it!
And Google was unable to find me a copy of Daemon tools.
I decided to bite the bullet and save myself a lot of time and anguish by buying an external DVD burner.
Which I did.
And it does the job nicely. but:-
I knew I couldn't get away without something going wrong. The burner (an Imation) plays films OK but with no sound.
It also plays my music CDs but there is no relationship between what is said on the screen to be playing and what comes out of the speakers.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2011, 11:26 PM
Its here http://www.daemon-tools.cc/eng/downloads

Read the manual for the burner. And see if its got sound. You may have to connect something else to get it

SolMiester
21-07-2011, 08:47 AM
If it were me, I would just use an optical drive from the family PC and share it...Use the wireless connectivity to browse to the shared optical drive on the other PC!

Thomas01
21-07-2011, 09:41 AM
!) The manual. Just a one sheet manual - and does nothing except get the thing up and running then there is a manual on the disc provided. It seems to be designed for umpteen of their products and you have to be careful to read the relevant bits. These people should realise that their job is to make it easy for the user but they don't.
The strange thing is that if I put a music video in - it plays perfectly. No problems except for the fact that it plays whatever it wants and selecting a piece of music off the list makes sure that piece will not be played - even if the screen says it is.
But films produce no sound at all. (I have tried headphones - no change).
However the operating program is NERO. Need I say more?

2) I also considered using the optical drive on my desktop. But funny enough when I mentioned this to the salesman where I bought the thing he chuckled. He has had the same unhappy experience with networking that I have had. I checked up on my logs from the days when I was using a home network - the massive number of times I ran into problems puts me off ever going down that route ever again. I am quite sure I could have done it but probably would have wasted several days getting frustrated etc just when I cannot afford the time. So the $87 spent on the external drive was good by me.

The next step is to try reading the screen manual carefully to see if I have missed something. Also I will try other programs to run films - I eventually managed to handle NERO for burning stuff but I have never used it for films or music.
I will try (and log) other solutions before I make a return trip to Dick Smiths and see what they can do. It could of course be a faulty DVD player.

dugimodo
21-07-2011, 01:44 PM
A shared optical drive over a network may not be recognised by program installers as an optical drive so I'm not sure how reliable that methiod would be. I have played DVD's like that though.

Assuming your external Drive is USB there is no need for any special "sound support" - sound is part of the digital data stream and delivered over the USB cable along with everything else. Originally optical drives had their own D-A convertors (I think they still do) and connected to the soundcard for audio playback via a small audio cable. I haven't connected one of those cables inside a pc in several years, the software no longer uses that method of playback, although some software still has the option if you look for it.

Your problems sound more like player software or codec issues (for example trying to play 5.1 surround without a compatible codec), download VLC and try that to see if it plays properly. If so you have a software issue.