PDA

View Full Version : 2 routers on one phone line

Openingfuel
18-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I have got a guy to come through and join up the phone line in the bedroom to the main line so I can run a router/internet in my room. I have been playing games on the net from the router in my room but i cant seem to run both the routers at once, one or both of them just cut out.

So my question is, is it possible to run 2 routers off the same phone line (from different ports though) and if it is possible, how?

Thanks in advance

The Error Guy
18-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Would it not have been easier to run a cat6 cable from the original router to your room?

I don't think it is possible, are the routers using the same ISP and account? If so the 2x routers trying to dial the same account will conflict. If its like orcon and a static IP is involved the network will actively deny the connections to prevent damage to the network with IP conflicts

Openingfuel
18-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Both same account and ISP

Erayd
18-07-2011, 08:16 PM
This is categorically not possible.

The reason they won't work is because ADSL is designed for use on a dedicated copper circuit - when you connect two modems to the same circuit, they both attempt to use the same frequencies to communicate, which causes them to conflict. There's also only one DSLAM port on the other end of the line.

One ADSL modem will talk to one DSLAM port over one copper pair - there's no way of avoiding that. You can't run a second modem without another phone line, and another plan from your ISP. As The Error Guy suggested above, running a network cable from your existing modem / router (or using Wireless) is a more practical option.

...are the routers using the same ISP and account? If so the 2x routers trying to dial the same account will conflict. If its like orcon and a static IP is involved the network will actively deny the connections to prevent damage to the network with IP conflictsHate to break it to you, but that's wrong ;).

Openingfuel
18-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Well thanks for telling me this hahaha, so only way will be to run a cable that acts like an Ethernet cable to the bedroom

linw
18-07-2011, 09:10 PM
..... to run a cable that acts like an Ethernet cable to the bedroom

Even better, run a cable that is an ethernet cable!

mzee
21-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Why not use a Wireless Router, or better still use 'Internet over Power' where you plug a unit into a convenient power socket near the Router and the second receiver unit in any convenient power socket near your computer. This way you can use the Net anywhere in the house without cables and without wireless signal strength to worry about.

pctek
21-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Why not use a Wireless Router, or better still use 'Internet over Power' .

+1