PDA

View Full Version : Potential Keylogger

GreacherTech
18-07-2011, 03:01 PM
A friend is mine is rather adamant that she has a keylogger on her system.

I was wondering the most easiest and effective way of finding out if there is one and removing it if she's right..

Thanks in advance

Ben

inphinity
18-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Any decent antivirus.

Speedy Gonzales
18-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Use something like trojan remover or malwarebytes. Update it then do a scan

If neither find anything, see if its plugged in (a usb flash drive keylogger or something)

GreacherTech
18-07-2011, 03:13 PM
Ah, thanks Speedy and inphinity

The Error Guy
18-07-2011, 03:27 PM
that wont pick it up if it has been physically attached to they system (eg, a hardware logger) but the chances of that are very slim

Casara
09-08-2011, 06:42 PM
A keylogger for Mac os x is software that records everything you type. It can be used to steal passwords, record web weistes, take screenshots, steal credit card numbers, PIN numbers, bank accounts and personal information. Although Macs are infected with keyloggers less often than PCs, they are not immune to the keylogger mac problem. There are several ways to detect a keylogger on a mac, from simply reviewing the processes running on the computer to using a mac os spy detection program.

Step 1 Open the Activity Monitor to check for unknown process. This system tool will allow you to view the programs (processes) currently running on your computer.

Step 2 Check and Research any unfamiliar processes running in your ctivity Monitor? Critical system processes sometimes have unrecognizable names, however, and keyloggers may have a name that sounds legitimate.

Step 3 Download and install a mac keylogger detector or another software firewall. This type of mac software alerts you when another program tries to connect to the Internet. It will detect a [edited] before it sends information over the Internet, and allow you to block it.

Just come across this, you may have a try and hope it help.

pctek
09-08-2011, 06:49 PM
Keyloggers aren't viruses, they're spyware.

However, I'd install:

NOD32
Spybot
Malware Bytes and Hijackthis - post the log of HJT here and Speedy will peruse it for you.

lakewoodlady
09-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Just come across this, you may have a try and hope it help.

Only useful if you have a Mac that is.

LL

chumscrubber
09-08-2011, 09:37 PM
simply scan with your antivirus in safe mode. if it won't work then you need to look in firewall rules or use third part tool to reveal strange connection going out from your machine

Nhashon
09-08-2011, 10:28 PM
try norton 360 , latest version but i recommend calling an computer person to get checked and healed

GameJunkie
09-08-2011, 10:33 PM
try norton 360 , latest version but i recommend calling an computer person to get checked and healed

norton products are ****

dugimodo
10-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Keyloggers aren't viruses, they're spyware.

However, I'd install:

NOD32
Spybot
Malware Bytes and Hijackthis - post the log of HJT here and Speedy will peruse it for you.

+1 or use MSE if you don't want to pay for NOD32

What makes your friend think there is a keylogger? the tools mentioned do a pretty good job and should be enough but the only way for for an average user to be absolutely sure is to format the hard drive and re-install windows. Extreme yes but some malware gets it's hooks in so deep it requires expert surgery to remove.

Even the experts sometimes resort to this, hunting through windows registry etc trying to find traces of malware is not for the amateur or faint of heart.

I'm sure many people could relate stories of antivirus software/ anti malware software finding / "removing" the same malicious files repeatedly because something else keeps putting it back.

Agent_24
11-08-2011, 12:23 PM
I'd boot from a scanner CD (Like bitdefender rescue CD) and do a scan with that first.

If it finds anything, note down the location and virus name so you can look them up and find out what you're dealing with.