PDA

View Full Version : How to get rid of IE5 Remnants? ('the Microsoft Blues')

10-10-2001, 02:43 PM
No matter what I do, I cannot seem to get rid of IE 5. It does not have an uninstaller, and Norton's Clean Sweep (as usual) leaves remnants that PREVENT RE-INSTALLATION of IE5.

You see, I actually want IE 5.0 back. (Cannot recall the version but not the first IE 5.0). IE 5.5 is way too buggy and unstable, and IE 6 will not do because you cannot get rid of it (according to PC World NZ) - ugh. I do have Netscape 6 - installed yesterday - BUT it freezes sometimes and is slow, AND it will not do the IE trick of Auto-completing the URL (or keyword for the URL) - and I use this trick a lot! Opera? No thanks - don't like it.

To clarify: I am unable to reinstall IE 5.0x because it detects 'a newer version' - which is weird because it is not a newer version. No matter what I do, trying RegCleaner, Norton's Reg editor, Norton's Win Doctor - the reinstallation is always prevented.

Any ideas?

10-10-2001, 03:53 PM
I would try Ashampoo WinOptimzer 2000 from:
URL:http://www.ashampoo.com/
it's registry cleaner gets a lot of stuff that RegClean doesn't find. You can get 30 days of the full version from the site.

Good Luck JM

10-10-2001, 04:51 PM
Hello Steve,

Go along to the following URL and get a copy of Ieradicator, this freeware utility will completely remove all traces of all versions of IE, alowing for a clean reinstallation.
Make sure you read the info file first before installing, though straight forward it does need aread first.
http://www.98lite.net/ieradicator.html

Alan

10-10-2001, 06:06 PM
With Netscape 6.1 is far more stable and has the auto-complete URL feature. Most of the magazine CD's only have 6.01 and I assume you can't connect at the moment.

10-10-2001, 11:12 PM
Hello Alan,

THANKS for the tip about IERadicator. I have now successfully used it and have IE 5.0 back on board. I did have to reboot a couple of times, and there is still a scripting error when opening folders, but I am hopeful that the system will return to normal. Once the IE remnants were removed (and Netscape 6.0), my Win98 system returned to a faster, cleaner feel.

10-10-2001, 11:15 PM
Hello Mike - thanks for the 6.1 info. I have now removed Netscape 6.0 and will wait for 6.1 to be on a magazine disk, since 25 Mb will be a long time to download on my 56k modem. Cheers - Steve

13-10-2001, 12:28 AM
Alan, now I have 'scripting errors' when opening folders(and clicking on files). Any ideas how to rectify the situation? I am not able to reinstall IE 5 (it prevents me from doing so).

Thanks, Steve