PDA

View Full Version : Android?

tut
17-07-2011, 07:20 PM
I recently purchased an Acer aspirer one net book ($399 DSE)
It works fine for what I wanted it for but I am puzzled by it having Android installed on it. I use the Win 7 it also has.
I am not very up on computers but wonder what I can use Android for and how.

sahilcc7
17-07-2011, 07:41 PM
You can install android market apps from the market app inside android.

dugimodo
18-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Android is mainly used on tablets and smartphones. I recently got myself a Galaxy S and have been playin with it for a while. I'm not sure how useful it would be on a netbook but you can do most basic tasks on it like web surfing, E-mail, etc.

The app store has a lot of free apps and games, although many of them will be optimised for a smartphone screen you can still run them. You can join the craze and play angry Birds :) there are also custom apps for things like facebook, twitter, the NZ herald (nicer than the real paper IMO) etc.

Chilling_Silence
18-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Yeah I've been meaning to try out Android on a netbook, they've been around for ages but IIRC most of them are running something like 1.6. The real performance improvements took place when they brought in the JIT compiler in 2.2.

Android should also boot up a hell of a lot faster too!

Dugimodo, how do you find the battery life on yours, stock? I get 1hr 10 -> 1hr 20 mins of the screen being on full brightness, during a 12 hour day, with that taking up aruond 70% of the battery utilization.

dugimodo
18-07-2011, 12:51 PM
The Battery isn't great, it was dying in about a day. Disabling my location and loading Juice defender has improved that to about 2 days of light usage. I also turned off the autobrightness and leave it on minimum most of the time. I use the power management widget to adjust brightness as required. A friday night charge lasted me until this morning.

Chilling_Silence
19-07-2011, 04:08 PM
Android-2.1-update1 or 2.2?

dugimodo
20-07-2011, 04:15 PM
2.3.3 gingerbread. Updated automatically from the kies software. I think only vodafones has it so far

Chilling_Silence
20-07-2011, 06:18 PM
Nice :D

It's OK, I'm on 2.3.4 - MIUI ;)