PDA

View Full Version : Hoe to stop Comodo from loading without uninstalling.

Billy T
16-07-2011, 06:40 PM
I've got the rest of the laptop sorted now, and TeamViewer is installed fior future remote servicing, if it can get through the University's system that is, but I still have two AV/Firewalls running.

I can't just uninstall Comodo in case MSE repeats its past behaviour and refuses to update (or whatever hissy fit it had, I can't remember right now and it is not relevant anyway). TeamViewer may help sort that out, but in the meantime I want to send this away with Comodo off-line if I can.

So, how do I stop Comodo from loading? I've been through all its settings and looked in MSconfig etc but not surprisingly I don't see any entries at all, let alone one that could stop it loading at boot so I'm picking it is a registry matter.

I was hoping that there would be a method I could use that would be easily reversible by a novice computer user (daughter) who has never played 'under the hood' before, just in case MSE spits the dummy again when she gets back, as it is probably the inverse of this problem, in that maybe MSE needs some configuration setting changed to let it work through the Uni's proxy server.

Any pearls of wisdom to be strewn before the unknowing?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

The Error Guy
16-07-2011, 06:45 PM
MSSE wont work through proxy, I have that problem atm, you can download updates manually via Windows Update (but I think they are optional and need to be checked for download)

bot
16-07-2011, 06:49 PM
MSSE wont work through proxy, I have that problem atm, you can download updates manually via Windows Update (but I think they are optional and need to be checked for download)

And so does Avast. Although for some reason it seems to know when it's connected to the internet but complains about not updating anways :rolleyes:

zqwerty
16-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Are there any Comodo services running in Task Master, you could disable them in services or in Start-up if that is how they are started, if you use this handy little program it will be easy for your daughter to restart if necessary.

Startup CPL : http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

You don't want the stand alone version.

Alternatively you could use Auto-Runs:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902

Untick to disable anything you don't want to start. Seems daunting at first but very easy to use.

wainuitech
16-07-2011, 08:46 PM
You can also try Ccleaner - open it, on the left, Tools, Startup - you can disable some items there.

Billy T
16-07-2011, 09:08 PM

Do you mean that it just doesn't update, or it won't work at all?

My daughter seems to think that the MSE Security Centre gave three red lights, meaning that nothing was working. I'm not so sure about that though, there is no reason why the AV protection wouldn't be on unless MSE was saying it was out of date.

As I mentioned earlier, there are no entries in Start-Up for Comodo, not sure where to look for Services or Task Master though, never heard of them.

Freudian slip in the hasty post too, don't know what a hoe has to do with it all. :D

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

zqwerty
16-07-2011, 09:22 PM
That's a typo I mean Task Manager.

When you get Start-Up CPL or Auto-runs you will see the start-up entries which you can then untick, the beauty being that your daughter on being shown where to go will be able to tick them again if necessary.

Start-Up CPL appears in Device Manager or you could use the stand alone version and as with Autoruns will be where you decide. Up to you.

Agent_24
17-07-2011, 02:21 AM
You could just right-click on the Comodo taskbar icon and disable all security levels there.

It would still run, but it just wouldn't do anything.

Comodo has been designed to be difficult to kill manually from the startup so viruses can't disable it easily.

pctek
17-07-2011, 09:07 AM
I can't just uninstall Comodo in case MSE repeats its past behaviour and refuses to update (

Ay?? MSSE doesn't need another program. I'd guess Comodo is more likely to stop it updating than Comodos absence causing an issue.

Or just use NOD then if MSSE is being difficult.
You have to be careful with Comodo, I played around once trying to stop bits of it - crashed Windows and had to go in the back door to undo it all..........

Billy T
17-07-2011, 01:26 PM
OK, I stopped Comodo using 'Start-Up-Cpl' and have left instructions in a text file to be used to restore it if MSE misbehaves behind the proxy server.

That concluded the work I had to do, it is set up with TeamViewer with the added facility to log on without requiring a telephone call to get the password. I guess the only thing I can't do is start it up again if it goes into standby, which it does fairly quickly. I'll see if I can find the settings to extend that though, as it is almost always plugged in.

Thanks for all the assistance and advice, it takes me a while to work by way through unfamiliar territory but I always document the route so I can go back any time.

Grateful thanks are extended from daughter as well.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)