PDA

View Full Version : WinME won't shut down properly

10-10-2001, 01:05 PM
Ever since I reinstalled my ME, it doesn't shut down properly.

It no longer displays the 'It's now safe to turn off your computer' message which usually appears before my CPU automatically shuts off.

Therefore now my CPU cannot automatically shut off and I have to do it manually from the actual plug on the wall.

Because of this, I also cannot 'reset' my computer before I turn the computer off from the plug.

Does anyone know the cause of this and how to solve it??

Thanks.

Yoh

10-10-2001, 04:15 PM
You mean you don't have a power button on the front of your computer?

Or even the back?

10-10-2001, 05:30 PM
He has an ATX case, but it might eventually damage his computer if he has uses the small black switch at the back.

Congratulations on your prize too Dylan

10-10-2001, 07:51 PM
Yeah, my case would be the ATX type I guess.
It does have a small black switch at the back, but is it true that it would damage my computer if I use that too often?

13-10-2001, 01:18 AM
It is possibly your installation of ME. I have just gone through a very frustrating week of reinstalling ME etc only to find it was a motherboard fault. I did notice that the installations done off the cd were not quite as stable as the ones the technician did. In other words I had faults and problems. The technician recommended that I install ME from the hard drive itself and gave a very long description on how to do it.
Just do what I'm going to do next time, take it into the shop and get them to do it. Yes it costs money but is a LOT less frustrating.

14-10-2001, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the help everyone. True, I realise Win ME installation done by home is frustrating and less perfect. But I downloaded one of the patches off Windows Update and that seems to solve the problem. ^_^