PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7's image

Nomad
15-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

The free utility that Win7 provides. In terms of restoring onto a new HD, does the size need to be the same as before, before it would work?

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 08:53 AM
Personally, I have found if the new Drive is smaller than the original it doesn't like it, same size or larger, no problems.

Thats why I use Active@ it doesn't care one way or the other.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Thanks it is larger ... but it spits out an error just before I choose the image (via the setup CD). I think maybe the partition where the image is not primary :confused:

pctek
15-07-2011, 09:34 AM
I use Active@ .

+1

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks it is larger ... but it spits out an error just before I choose the image (via the setup CD). I think maybe the partition where the image is not primary :confused: had that happen a few time with W7 Backup. I think its looking for existing partitions:mad: Not much cop on a new drive. When it backs up it does both partitions.

There is a way to fix it, bit of DOS work - so roll up ya sleeves :)

Boot from the recovery CD, keep going through, Next / cancel where you can as it wont find the drive (normally) till you get to the System Recovery options page, select command prompt - type in the following, hitting enter after each command, (you will end back at diskpart if you do it correctly) type in exactly as I wrote it, " " and spaces where shown. ( WARNING: this will completely wipe a drive so dont play on a drive that you dont want to lose everything)

diskpart
select disk 0
clean
create partition primary size=200
select partition 1
format fs=ntfs label="system"
assign letter=c
active
create partition primary
select partition 2
format fs=ntfs label="windows" quick
assign letter=d
exit

Reboot the computer from the recovery CD, Once you have done the above.

You will now have two partitions on the drive, the 200mb one that windows makes to repair boot from and the main OS - NOW put back your backup, selecting the correct partitions from the backup.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 10:55 AM
It has been formatted and set as primary via the PC. Laptop HD is in question.

It's so picky.

Thru some trial and error it appears if you have a different HD, with a diff HD size or partition size you might not be able to put the image file on the same HD diff partition.

Also maybe if you are restoring onto a diff size HD the source cannot be the old HD because it thinks you might want to restore it on the same.

SolMiester
15-07-2011, 11:22 AM
Windows backup and disk image uses shadow copy and therefore cannot write the image to the same disk.....whether or not it it is partitioned...
You need to write the image to another secondary drive or network location, before transferring to CD

Nomad
15-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Sorted.

I had to copy the image to a desktop hard drive then I attached it to the laptop via USB.

If I had the image file on the new HD, diff partition - didn't work.
Also, if via USB the old HD had the image it didn't work cos it wanted to restore it back onto the original HD.

Windows 7 backup/restore does not give you a easy to use tree diagram to select the destination.

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 03:05 PM
Seems you forgot to mention at first,that the hard drive had another partition and thats where the image was :( As Sol said - wont work that way.

That bit of info would have been really helpful -- Hate it when people don't supply all info,just bits and pieces.

Windows 7 backup/restore does not give you a easy to use tree diagram to select the destination. It does, if its W7 PRO or above you can select LAN , Home only allows local or USB attached storage ( see attachments)

mzee
15-07-2011, 04:52 PM
That is a good thing about 'Acronis', doesn't matter where the image is so long as its good.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 04:55 PM
It does, if its W7 PRO or above you can select LAN , Home only allows local or USB attached storage ( see attachments)

I know that.
I mean when you want to restore the image (the destination path). You are not given much options. I think there is a textbox that you can type in but I had no idea how to type that ... ie volume ID and stuff and stuff ....

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 05:16 PM
You should have a Browse button to locate the paths, or you may find the sata drivers for the HDD are not on the recovery CD, hence it cant see it right away.

Often I find if using the restore CD, it wont see the drive until the partitions are there.
(As an example) It seems as if MS made it almost as if the original drive is still attached, but badly corrupted, and the image is being put back on a drive with partitions already in place.

If you are referring to a network path (for recovery), then sometimes the bootable CD cant see the LAN connection. This is because the Windows CD doesn't contain the Ethernet drivers for the motherboard.

My own Office computer is that way, if I want to use the restore CD using WHS ( windows home server) I have to have the drivers on a USB drive and manually load them - then the LAN /Server is connected.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 07:00 PM
I did try network but gave up quickly.
Not sure if the drivers did work or not as it didn't give me a network tree to browse thru. I typed in a path and it said wrong path after asking me for my username and password. The Windows backup folder is in the root directory, so I just typed \\workgroup\computername

I booted with a DVD disc. The original HD was imaged. This image file was on the old HD via USB. The laptop had the new HD installed. I think it might of noticed the original HD had the image file so it could not do the restore even thou I wanted the destination to be the new HD. It said something being excluded and it may of said that was where the image file was.

I had to type in a long path ... which I didn't understand. Refer to images. That was the last screen before it starting doing its thing. I wasn't asked where I want to put it.

1st picture - network.
2nd picture - I cancelled, went back and chose the image off my USB HD.

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 09:38 PM
Hope this comes out right :)

Lets say you have a image on another PC on the LAN - for example sake, I'll use one of my servers names - "Server" and the images/backups are in a shared folder called "images". BTW - this is a XP Home OS being used.

Inside the images folder, W7 will make a folder structure, it has to stay intact - the main folder is called WindowsimageBackup.

"Generally" because windows 7 shares works with security, like server 2003 does (since W7 is actually got the security features of server 2003) you cant have a blank user name and password on the storage Machine and use it over a LAN.
The storage Machine has to have a log on user and password, simply a standard log on like normal.

When you boot from the CD, in the location you would put \\server\images (ignore the WindowsimageBackup folder W7 will find it) - when prompted for the user name and password, its the same one as you would normally log in with on the machine the image is stored (Not your PC) - then the CD should see the W7 Backup you made.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Maybe the drivers didn't work.

I only tried LAN for a moment.
Laptop in question needs to be loaded.
PC has the image.

On the PC I shared that folder WindowsimageBackup. It was on my E: which is my 2nd physical HDD. Ie., usually on a Windows computer, if I click "Computers" and then select Networks. I see that computer name. Should I doubleclick it, I see WindowsimageBackup straight up.

So I just typed \\workgroup\computer-name (substituting their real names) and it just didn't work. The username and passoword - yep the usual one on my PC. I have a username and a 8 character password (admin access).

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 10:29 PM
Just so I dont go putting you wrong -- you have a PC on the LAN, in that PC is a second drive with the stored Windows backup, and the folder its in is shared.

Doesn't matter which drive its on. But it's best t have it in a separate shared folder, not in the root of C or E

Lets say you PC is called nomad2, the folder is called images, inside that folder is the windows backup folder called WindowsimageBackup

Is that correct ?

If thats correct, the network path would be \\nomad2\images

If you look at the attachment, I have the WindowsimageBackup on a server called HDA \Images

Its network path would be \\hda\images

PS: ignore the other folder called Windows7, thats got images using Active@diskimage.

What I'll do is try and make a visual instructions tomorrow if its any more help. One of my computers, has to have the Ethernet drivers loaded before it will see anything on the LAN ( its a pain)

Nomad
15-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Yes, I shared it. It had a padlock icon next to it Or am I better to not have the padlock and have more free access :confused:

Ok, PC is called Nomad-PC. I didn't put it in a folder. Windows Backup/Restore just put it on E: Drive. The root of E: had WindowsimageBackup folder.

Just conversational. Don't put more time on it ... as these image backup things I only use once in a blue moon.

I may try this tomorrow after putting it in a folder just to see if I can get the network to initialise. But it is kinda slow at 600KB/sec. I only have a 100Mbps.

Nomad
15-07-2011, 11:42 PM
LAN success :D

You have to put it in a folder like Image then the folder WindowImageBackup .......

If you leave it in the root directory like how Windows Backup/Restore creates it ... it gives you an error "An Internal error occurred while enumerating backup sets".

And it does not use workgroup. it's just \\Nomad-PC\Image for example.

For the HD approach.
Ah .. yeah maybe it is a freebie limitation that you cannot use the old HD to have the image and dump it into a new HD. It may recognise the old HD as the HD it was imaged of.

wainuitech
15-07-2011, 11:58 PM
:thumbs::clap:banana

Making a single folder /shared on the drive, and that contains the backups, Thats what I always do ;)

One thing you learn real quick in this game, only takes one small thing and all hell breaks lose, or doesn't work.:crying

And sometimes finding the "one small thing" is the nightmare.

Just as a reference - I always set my workgroup to the same on everything, removes a possible problem.

Well done.