PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Windows Reinstall Option

blanco
14-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Just read this newsletter and thought you may be interested. Having
experienced a fresh win install because of corrupted files I know it takes
days to reinstall all the progs and drivers to get things back to where they were. A "normal" reinstall wipes these off the hard drive but this recommended
method will reinstall windows without touching anything else on the hard drive
Saving a lot of time and work. It applies to Win7 and Vista and there is a link
to an article for XP reinstall. Read the info here:
http://windowssecrets.com/comp/110714

mzee
14-07-2011, 09:23 PM
Much easier to make an Image of the system. This way you can restore the system in a few minutes.

You can use a Program like Acronis etc, or if you have Windows 7 the built in backup utility.

blanco
14-07-2011, 10:04 PM
I agree and now keep an updated image both internal and
external but for those without an image to fall back on the
reinstall method described would be of great value.

wainuitech
14-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Done that repair install a several times with W7 - its nothing really new.

In fact a couple of articles were written back in 2009 on how to do it, but always good to point out :)

R.M.
14-07-2011, 11:39 PM
So that works as per instuctions? No hiiccups?

I've been pondering that article as I have been girding up my loins for a reformat for a while. I have done it before, but with Windows XP. This time I have Windows 7 Pro and there were just a few things I was feeling nervous about.

Plan to take the article to bed to read (when I get there - doing the washing at the moment. :( )

bk T
15-07-2011, 12:14 AM
Done that repair install a several times with W7 - its nothing really new.

In fact a couple of articles were written back in 2009 on how to do it, but always good to point out :)

Will it work if the system is virus-infected?

linw
15-07-2011, 10:31 AM
Will it work if the system is virus-infected?

You couldn't rely on it fixing an infected system. If, for example, an infected file was a system file, that would get overwritten by a kosher one but if the folder or file was something like 12syuek56nn for example, it would remain.

Registry entries would likely remain as well.

You just couldn't rely on this method so best to fix the 'old' setup. IMHO, of course!