PDA

View Full Version : Android phone stopped talking to PC

robo
14-07-2011, 07:16 PM
I have an Android 2.2.1 phone which used to mount as a USB drive on my PC beautifully. Could transfer music on to the expansion card in the phone and away I went walking the dog happily.

Now, all that has changed. The only thing that happens when the phone is plugged in to the USB port is that it recharges.

I have tried two different PCs, one XP, one Windows 7, so I don't think it is the PC.
I have tried two different cables. Phone has been unplugged.
I think the phone has somehow decided it hates the outside world.

I have searched Android manuals for clues about connection, restarting, applications that need to be running, I have found nothing.

I even tried putting the memory card in a reader to connect directly to the PC and the PC wanted for format it. I didn't want that.

Can anyone suggest what I could try?
Thanks in advance.
Rob

Catweazle
14-07-2011, 07:39 PM
Sounds like a dodgy card. Can you access the card via a file manager on your phone?

:pf1mobmini:

robo
14-07-2011, 07:41 PM
Well, the music still plays fine on it when I am walking the dog, but there are only so many times you can listen to the same couple of hundred songs.

feersumendjinn
15-07-2011, 01:24 AM
Try another card.
Usually if the card isn't readable or recognised by the PC, it will try to format it. It is most likely partially stuffed.

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2011, 08:24 AM
Depending on your phone, you can copy music to the internal memory which could quite possibly where it's playing the music from currently.

I'm going to agree with the "It's the SD Card, quite possibly not partitioned / formatted correctly" answer.

Happens a lot:
http://forums.miuiandroid.com/showthread.php?8251-i9000-wont-recognize-external-sd

robo
15-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Update. Tried a different memory card in phone. Same result, don't see anything on PC.
Tried the memory card I care about in another adaptor in another PC, and I can see it fine without any whinging (XP, not windows 7).

I think the evidence is starting to point to it being the phone. I am convinced there is a process/service turned off or some config I have messed with but don't think I have changed much in quite a while.

Any other clues?
Robo
PS Meantime, I suppose I can copy things using the other PC.

pctek
15-07-2011, 01:21 PM
You didn't change the PC software the phone uses did you? That happened to my brother once, newer version and it all went to pieces.

robo
15-07-2011, 01:35 PM
I don't really use any software, Windows just mounts it as a drive. Nothing special gets installed.
Have successfully transferred new audio onto the memory card from the other PC, loaded it into the phone, and it sees it, so I guess things are under control.
Would be nice to be able to make changes while it is charging on the USB cable, but I guess you can't have everything.
Thanks for your input, folks.
robo

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2011, 02:11 PM
What's the phone make / model?

inphinity
15-07-2011, 02:12 PM
Does it prompt you when you plug it in whether you want to just charge, or mount the card on the PC? Typically if the card is still mounted on the Android device, Windows won't see it.

robo
15-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Good question. Phone is Ideos U8150.

It used to display an alert on screen, you had to agree to turn on the storage to the PC, but now it just whinges about the password being wrong for google, and it lists a gmail address I use for remote email. I have tried entering the password quite a few times and it won't accept it.
I can't seem to get rid of it. I wonder if that could be the problem. I really don't know what is is trying to do, I have tried to turn off email on the phone, I don't use it, don't want it. I have iPads for that.
robo

inphinity
15-07-2011, 02:39 PM
Tried a different USB cable/port/PC?

robo
15-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Additional:
The full message is:
"you entered the wrong password or your account has changed. Please re-enter your password."
I searched this, and it suggested I factory reset. I was reluctant to do this earlier, but I really use this phone for bugger all else other than listening to music.
I did the reset and it made me do all sorts of crap including demanding a gmail address so I created one.
Finally finished and the PC doesn't see it, still.

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Hmm I'm trying to remember where in the settings the option is. I run Miui do my settings all look different...

Under Application Development, turn off USB debugging, just in case...

:pf1mobmini: