PDA

View Full Version : Moving ADSL Modem

The Error Guy
14-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Currently with orcon using the standard (sack of Sh*t) ADSL2+ modem, over the next few months I will be roaming around a bit 3-4 residences and I was wondering if I unplugged the DSL modem from my current house and plugged it in temporarily at the new place, would the modem be able to get a connection, thus gettin me internet access? Reason being I need to use the net but I don't want to be absolutely thrashing my hosts internet (i think they get 5gb ish)

Not sure if this works or not. I assume in theory it does.

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2011, 07:28 PM
If there's a connection with an ISP it should, once you reconfigure it. But if you want to log into / onto your Orcon connection, then probably no. Since it'll be tied to your phone #

Agent_24
14-07-2011, 07:40 PM
If they or your ISP authenticates by line number then it doesn't matter which router and which account is where, the usage is charged to the phone line which is using it.

I wanted to do the same thing with my friend, who had a 10GB cap but 12Mbit, while I at the time had unlimited Internet but only 2Mbit speed.

I rang Telecom and they told me that even if I took my router to his house it would simply use his 10GB cap and wouldn't touch mine as it wasn't on my line.

The Error Guy
14-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Annoying way of doing it :/ hopefully there will come a time when we can authenticate your account anywhere, at house, public places etc and have it billed to you

Agent_24
14-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Annoying way of doing it :/ hopefully there will come a time when we can authenticate your account anywhere, at house, public places etc and have it billed to you

I doubt it. That's how it used to be, but then Telecom had the idea of authenticating with line number instead, I'm not too sure why.

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2011, 08:26 AM
Coz it's easier than getting a technophobe to login to their router and put in a username and password that they're bound to have forgotten by the time the phone call is over anyway.

99.99% of the time, it's a whole lot easier to auth off the line. Generally speaking, physical access to something like that requires a certain level of access to a home, so I'd suggest it's "acceptable" from a security POV too ;)

linw
15-07-2011, 10:37 AM
But wouldn't it depend on factors like whether Orcon uses line authentication or whether the host house has a Telecom line?

Have to agree with Chill - much easier and more reliable even if less flexible.

Agent_24
15-07-2011, 10:54 AM
If both houses in question use an ISP which doesn't authenticate with line number then I guess it might work.

However, if either one of them have an ISP which does use line number authentication then I expect it's not going to work.

lakewoodlady
15-07-2011, 12:03 PM
If you're afraid of using too much of your friend's data cap, why don't you just pay for some more data blocks for them.

LL

inphinity
15-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Just take a 3G data stick with you and then you can use your own connection wherever you have signal, heh.

mikebartnz
16-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Just take a 3G data stick with you and then you can use your own connection wherever you have signal, heh.
Way too expensive.

The Error Guy
16-07-2011, 12:59 PM
If you're afraid of using too much of your friend's data cap, why don't you just pay for some more data blocks for them.

LL

Because I will be moving around too much, cant pay for all of them.

The Error Guy
16-07-2011, 01:00 PM

40GB on high latency slow ass 3G? I wish I could afford it too :D

Out of my price range, and wouldn't fit the bill