PDA

View Full Version : Mail delivery (failure)

Cicero
14-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I keep getting this, and I have no idea what it is all about?

Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2011 12:06 PM
To: bspong@slingshot.co.nz
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The following message to <bspongl@slingshot.co.nz> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'timeout'

fred_fish
14-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Presumably you are bspong@slingshot.co.nz ?

If not then it is definitely just bounce-spam (or joe-job) i.e. someone intentionally sending spam to bad addresses with your addy as the SMTP MAIL FROM: (not necessarily the same as the From: header in the message), so that the failure report (usually including the original spam) gets 'returned' to you, and as it is a delivery fail msg, has a higher chance of getting past your spam filters.

It purports to be a delivery failure report for a message you sent to bspongl@slingshot.co.nz, which sounds a bit bogus to me.

These can also just be fake DSN's delivered directly, for the same reasons as above.

A copy of the full message, including headers, might shed some more light on it.

Cicero
14-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Presumably you are bspong@slingshot.co.nz ?

If not then it is definitely just bounce-spam (or joe-job) i.e. someone intentionally sending spam to bad addresses with your addy as the SMTP MAIL FROM: (not necessarily the same as the From: header in the message), so that the failure report (usually including the original spam) gets 'returned' to you, and as it is a delivery fail msg, has a higher chance of getting past your spam filters.

It purports to be a delivery failure report for a message you sent to bspongl@slingshot.co.nz, which sounds a bit bogus to me.

These can also just be fake DSN's delivered directly, for the same reasons as above.

A copy of the full message, including headers, might shed some more light on it.

Spong is me,and this about all in- fo/...

MAILER-DAEMON@mxi2.callplus.net.nz