Hi All.

ISP is Orcon.

For a little while now we have been getting e-mails from:-

UPS
USPS
FEDEX
HALIFAX Building
Lloyds Bank
With various addon bits in the address line.

Is anyone else getting this rubbish? PJ:angry

Trev
14-07-2011, 12:34 PM
Change your ISP. I get about one spam email a week with Actrix if I'm lucky.
:)

Bobh
14-07-2011, 12:45 PM
I am also with Actrix. I get Spam email directed to my Junk Mail folder in MS Outlook. I just review them and empty the Junk Mail Folder. Sometimes I find good email in this folder. I simply place it in the In box and add the sender to the 'Safe Senders List'.

I do not get much spam.

Whenu
14-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Starting getting all the missing parcel deliveries from DHL and UPS, after putting a listing on TradeMe, either that or I've been shopping in my sleep

Poppa John
14-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Hi All.

ISP is Orcon.

For a little while now we have been getting e-mails from:-

UPS
USPS
FEDEX
HALIFAX Building
Lloyds Bank
With various addon bits in the address line.

Is anyone else getting this rubbish? PJ:angry

So Whenu & I are the only ones getting this type of Spam? PJ

Snorkbox
14-07-2011, 08:31 PM
Well I'm not getting that type of spam!

Poppa John
14-07-2011, 08:54 PM
HIAll.

I have sent them to Orcon as an attachment, but I am not going to hold my breath.

I am using IE6. Had a look at Message Rules & saw nothing in the Menu that fits this type of spam. PJ.

Snorkbox
14-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Hi PJ,

IE6 has nothing to do with Spam. IE6 is a browser and should be updated to version 8. Message rules are in Outlook or Outlook express and will not stop spam coming in but you could create rules for it to go into Junk automatically if you wanted to.

Poppa John
14-07-2011, 09:18 PM
Hi PJ,

IE6 has nothing to do with Spam. IE6 is a browser and should be updated to version 8. Message rules are in Outlook or Outlook express and will not stop spam coming in but you could create rules for it to go into Junk automatically if you wanted to.

Sorry but I did not put all the data down.

XP Home SP3. IE8. OE6. OE6 Is the Message Rules I was referring to.
Take the UPS spam as an example. The first part of the address is 'UPS' & the rest varies. So if I go Block Sender, It only blocks that spam. The next one has a different suffix or back end text so the Block Sender doesn't see it.PJ

Snorkbox
14-07-2011, 09:20 PM
Exactly. But you could block the whole domain for example could you not?

If you can't then use outlook which is part of Office rather than OE.

Poppa John
15-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Exactly. But you could block the whole domain for example could you not?

If you can't then use outlook which is part of Office rather than OE.

I have got a copy of Office Prof 2003 so I could put Outlook on instead of OE6 ( I think!!) IS Outlook more spam proof than OE6 ?

This laptop has a 40G hd & 750 MB Ram. It his enough ram for Outlookk? Also Pentium 1.6 Ghz. PJ

Safari
15-07-2011, 12:17 PM
It won't make any difference whether you use Outlook or Outlook Express.
These Fedex UPS IRD type of emails are very common and are very hard to detect by spam filters as they look like a genuine email with no spam type indication in them. They are in fact a phishing type of email with just plain text and maybe a link to a website which any genuine email may have.
You could put the domain in the blocked senders but be careful if they are sending from something like yahoo.com and you block that you may miss genuine emails.
The amount of spam you get generally depends on how well you manage your email address and where you leave it on the internet.

The easiest thing to do is just delete these emails as they come in if you only get 1 or 2 a day and not get too obsessed about them. If you are getting plagued by multiple spam emails everyday you might want to consider changing your email address which will be relatively spam free if you are careful where you use it.

Snorkbox
15-07-2011, 12:17 PM
PJ,

If you have Office installed on the Desktop you can't just put it on the Laptop. What does the EULA say?

Also I don't think that Outlook is better spam wise. Can you try OE on the Laptop and try the message rules in order to block a whole domain?

PinoyKiw
15-07-2011, 12:38 PM
PJ

Consider something like Mailwasher. Comes in both free and paid versions.

Very easy to set up.

Run Mailwasher before you do anything else, that will give you a list of all the messages on the mail server at your ISP.

From there, you can mark delete or block as you wish, the mail you don't want, then press F6 and that takes care of that deleting those spam and other unwanted messages from the ISP's mail server, then open Outlook Express or what ever mail program you end up using in the future and downloading only what is left.

You would have to go into your mail program and untick any option to auto check every 10 minutes or what ever for mail as you want Mailwasher to always do that for you.

Or, just don't worry about those DHL/FedEx spam, etc. We get them all the time, they seem to come in spurts, every day for a week or so and then they disappear and next lot is from the FBI or HengSeng Bank or some GI in Iraq that has sqillions of dollars that they want to share with you.

Or the Nokia Sweepstakes one that I got this morning that cellphone number had won USD$52m, instead of sending it BBC the scammer had sent it to hundreds of names using CC so we must all be $52M better off........:clap

Mailwasher can be found at http://www.mailwasher.net/

I get hundreds of emails a day, only a small % of them is spam since some of the spam networks have been closed but using mailwasher, I can delete a heap of messages straight up either using mailwasher rules or by manual deletion because they are automated office messages etc, then download the remaining 50% of good messages to my laptop.

Zippity
15-07-2011, 01:06 PM
x2 for Mailwasher Pro :) :)