PDA

View Full Version : Odd colour printing problem

Billy T
14-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Hi Team

I have a strange printing effect that I can't seem to resolve, and I think I must be missing something obvious somewhere.

I am trying to print a colour contour map that has 8 separate colours assigned to the contour levels. These are: 2 distinct shades of blue (dark/medium), cyan, two distinct shades of green (dark/medium), yellow, and two distinct shades of red (medium/dark).

These can be clearly seen on screen and there is absolutely no mistaking them, the bands are very obvious. However, when printed the first two blue bands are almost the same hue, it takes a magnifying glass to see the difference, cyan is ok, the two shades of green are indistinguishable from each other even with a magnifying glass, and the two shades of red are close but more or less OK.

I have printed on an Epson C1100 colour laser and a Canon IP4200 inkjet but get pretty much the identical outcome, allowing for the difference in technologies. Printing in monochrome on an HP1200 is similarly affected.

It seems as though my printing profile is set to a limited colour range, but it is not in the printer setups because they are separate drivers. The docs are printing from Word 2003 but I haven't found anything that might restrict the colour range. I've been printing these contour maps for years with no problems with a range of printers and three previous computers but this is the first time I have printed from Word 2003 and from my new computer.

Is there any setting in Word 2003 for printing colour documents that I might be overlooking?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

pctek
14-07-2011, 06:46 AM
There's normally a printer setting whether it uses the docs defaults or printers defaults. Played around with that?
It looks fine in Word?

Billy T
14-07-2011, 08:56 AM
There's normally a printer setting whether it uses the docs defaults or printers defaults. Played around with that?
It looks fine in Word?

Yes, it looks good in word. With my earlier printers going back to the mid '90s (Canon BJC600 $1750 :horrified ) I had to print in draft mode because of excessive ink usage but otherwise the colour rendition was fine.

I last used the Canon to print some photos and I have a niggling feeling it might be stuck in photo mode, because I printed out an image on the inkjet for my son a few weeks back and it was quite over-saturated but I can't see where I found that option. Maybe I need to pretend that the doc is a photo to access that menu.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Paul.Cov
14-07-2011, 09:02 AM
I wonder if you're getting too much ink on the page. Try printing in draft mode and again in photo quality mode and see if there's much difference.

The shading between blues is largely controlled by the amount of cyan that is spat out, likewise with the reds.

Green is the result of a bunch of inks combined.

Billy T
14-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I wonder if you're getting too much ink on the page. Try printing in draft mode and again in photo quality mode and see if there's much difference. The shading between blues is largely controlled by the amount of cyan that is spat out, likewise with the reds. Green is the result of a bunch of inks combined.

Web glitch somewhere, I actually posted a follow up in which I said that I had since tried draft mode which produced a better result in terms of the separation between contours but the quality was very poor. It obviously didn't appear on the Forum.

I suspect that the software that produces the image is low resolution to start with, it is all Dos and the whole shebang, instrument management, graphics production, annotation facilities plus a couple of utilities all fits comfortably on a single floppy.

I don't print direct from the graphics program because it is not Y2K compliant so I have to add the correct dates (and other annotation stuff that won't work) into a blank area on the display, 'print screen' it, then put the correct text in place using MS Paint which for this particular function has proven to be the best and simplest system of all the graphic stuff I have.

This means that the images have normally passed through Paint at least twice and then go into Irfanview, coming out as a 300 dpi jpg. However, I've always used Paint so unless MS has fiddled with the later versions that shouldn't be a problem.

It does look a little like excess ink, but the result is the same for laser or inkjet. I'll play around a little more with the printer settings I think and see what happens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

plod
14-07-2011, 07:10 PM
what sort of paper are you using?

Billy T
14-07-2011, 10:19 PM
what sort of paper are you using?

I used high quality Xerox 100gsm Colotech+ colour laser paper for some, 90gsm copier paper and 80gsm Reflex Ultrawhite for others, same results for colour laser or inkjet so it is the 'printing instructions' that are driving the results.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

pctek
15-07-2011, 08:37 AM
I suspect that the software that produces the image is low resolution to start with, it is all Dos

Ah.

Can you not retrieve the pic and put int in something else, tweak it then print it.