PDA

View Full Version : Mouse freezes while dragging and dropping an icon, but not while moving windows

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 02:14 PM
Hi all,

One of the guys here has an interesting issue with their new PC.

They've got a wireless mouse, so at first I presumed that was the issue, until we got a corded mouse with the same symptoms.

When dragging and dropping an icon, it has "freezes" for about half a second to 1 second each, as you move a file icon across the screen.
Doesn't happen if we're moving a window around.

Happens for both files, and shortcuts to files, both on the desktop, or in an explorer window.

Win7 Pro x64 SP1.

Any ideas on the cause? It's not CPU utilization, from what we can see by keeping Task Manager open, the CPU is some highly overpowered i5... 16GB RAM... It's a relatively fresh install, only about a fortnight ago too.

Cheers

Chill.

Agent_24
13-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Maybe something to do with the hard drive...

I assume Windows does a query etc of some sort on the file when you start dragging it, anticipating your next move. If there was a HDD issue that could cause problems.

Perhaps the video drivers have a bug which causes this problem also.

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Video drivers were what I wondered too, but we've got the latest for them. Still, wouldn't be the first time that video drivers have been buggy.

I'll look into HDD too, good point, thanks!

CYaBro
13-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Wouldn't be something to do with the icon cache maybe??

Edit: Does it happen in Safe Mode?

Neil McC
13-07-2011, 06:45 PM
Been happening to me lately too ,Chill.Unplugged and replugged the mouse USB thingy and it seems ok now.