PDA

View Full Version : Windows 98

10-10-2001, 12:39 PM
My computer is telling me the windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file but the device file on longer exists.

The file is ndiswan.vxd

I think I was installing an update to a creative driver when it happened. I have tried to reinstall it but it doesn't appear to fix the problem.

10-10-2001, 12:55 PM
This problem can occur if you install Dial-Up Networking, Dial-Up Adapter, or Virtual Private Networking and then cancel Setup while the Copying Files dialog box is displayed. The Dial-Up Networking files are not copied to the hard disk but the file names are added to the registry. When the computer is restarted, the files are requested and cannot be found.

To resolve this problem, remove and then reinstall Dial-Up Networking.

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab, and then click Communications. Click Details, and then click to clear the Dial-Up Networking check / Virtual Private Networking check box.

Click Close, click OK, then click Apply. When you are prompted to restart Windows, do so.

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel. In Control Panel, double-click Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab, and then click Communications. Click Details, and then click to select the Dial-Up Networking check box. Click Virtual Private Networking check box to select it. Click Close, and then click OK. If you are prompted to restart Windows, do so.