PDA

View Full Version : Connecting to an Allied Telesyn AT-AR350

WarNox
13-07-2011, 01:01 AM
Hey,

So I might be doing something really stupid but I can't get into the configuration for this router. There isn't a 'console' port on the thing. I also tried the Ethernet port on both the HUB and PC mode with a straight through and cross-over cable but nothing works.

I've looked at every manual I could find but nothing explains it properly. Cisco's are so much easier :)

See the picture for the ports which it has available. I'm ok with resetting it, but don't see an option to do that either.

Thanks for any help.

inphinity
13-07-2011, 09:45 AM
There isn't a 'console' port on the thing.

AT's AR300-series routers should definitely have a serial port for console connection. If it's not actually labelled Console, it's probably labelled Port 0, and will be a 9-pin serial port. Port settings are typically 9600/8/N/1/Hardware and the default login is usually 'manager' with a password of 'friend'.

AT usually have pretty comprehensive Admin guides so if you can get hold of one, it would be really helpful.

WarNox
13-07-2011, 01:34 PM
Yea, I guess it must be the Port0 DB9 connection. So, unlike every other switch router I need a db9 to db9 connection, not db9 to rj-45 rollover.

I'll try and find one of these cables.

I did find a PDF with this information but there was no diagram of what to connect it to. It did mention those serial ports were used for something to do with the phones.

inphinity
13-07-2011, 02:23 PM
http://www.mediafire.com/?a68jrilcekda5qo

a copy of the 300-series quick install guide, I don't have the full admin guide here atm sorry.

WarNox
13-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Cool, thanks for that. Will give it a go once I get a Db9 female to female. I've ordered a converter from Ascent for $1.74 with free shipping, makes me wonder how they make their money :)

WarNox
14-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Alright, I got a serial cable, female to female and tried connecting to Port0 but it's still not working. Tried Putty and Hyper Terminal.

Do you know what the 'config' switches on the back do? Google doesn't seem to help.

I'm thinking that if this router was set up previously someone might have disabled the console port. There must be a way to do a hard reset?

Thanks again.

gretag34
15-07-2011, 10:58 AM
don't fiddle with the config switches, I dont know what they do, but you shouldn't need to change those.

I can't recall, but there are two db9 converters; the cisco pin outs and a 'standard' one. I can't remember which one the 350 uses, but I can find out for you. I used to develop the firmware that runs on them :)

WarNox
15-07-2011, 11:28 AM
don't fiddle with the config switches, I dont know what they do, but you shouldn't need to change those.

I can't recall, but there are two db9 converters; the cisco pin outs and a 'standard' one. I can't remember which one the 350 uses, but I can find out for you. I used to develop the firmware that runs on them :)

Sounds good, I'll wait for your response :)

gretag34
15-07-2011, 11:55 AM
ok, so it is standard PC pin out, not Cisco.

Have you verified that the console settings are correct? eg 9600/8/N/1?
Or perhaps the person who configured it before you had set it to 115200?

WarNox
15-07-2011, 12:49 PM

It's been sitting around for a long time unused, so I've got no idea who/what it's been set to. That's why I'd like to get it reset if possible?

I can try 115200 tonight but I don't even know if the cable I've got is functional. I also can't test it as no other device I have needs a female to female db9 connection :)

WarNox
17-07-2011, 11:17 PM

Hey again,

Well I made sure all the console settings are correct and also tried 115200, still not output :)

Do you know any way of checking if I'm using the correct cable?

WarNox
20-07-2011, 05:56 PM
Ok, so turns out it was a faulty cable :) thanks for the help everyone!