PDA

View Full Version : wet laptop

nedkelly
12-07-2011, 11:10 PM
I have a laptop here that got water spilt on it.
The laptop was off and had its battery removed, is it able to be dried and fixed?

fred_fish
12-07-2011, 11:35 PM
Just plain water should be OK.
Dry it out slowly for a loooong time before powering up, cylinder cupboard for a couple of days etc.

Anything leaving conductive residue, like sugary drinks or coffee etc is a bit more difficult to deal with.

nedkelly
12-07-2011, 11:53 PM
so best to totally dismantle it then put the parts in the cupboard?
Any way to do it a bit faster?

Paul.Cov
13-07-2011, 08:04 AM
Warmth is your ally, and airflow.

As mentioned already, removing the case will help.. you may find fluid you can wipe off / shake off, and you'll vastly improve the airflow around the components.

Closely alligned surfaces will hold water, so the keyboard is likely to be a bit of a reservoir.

If you want to hasten the task then maybe sit the bits in the flow from a fan heater. Being a laptop they're used to getting warm, but I'd still avoid getting certain bits (like HDD) too close to the heat.

nedkelly
13-07-2011, 09:05 AM
The hard drive looks like it did not get wet at all, so would a hair dryer help?

CliveM
13-07-2011, 09:17 AM
The hard drive looks like it did not get wet at all, so would a hair dryer help?

Yes but do not get it too hot. A lot depends on wether the water is in it or just on it. As already said do not power it up before you are certain it is dry. A couple of days in the hot water cupboard is a great idea.

nedkelly
13-07-2011, 09:33 AM
yeah, I thought not too hot, and I am not going to power it up at all for a few weeks, shame its winter