PDA

View Full Version : Android App needed

WayneMiddy
12-07-2011, 08:02 PM
Okay so Telecom have upgraded me to a new Galaxey i5503T. With my old Sony phone it came with some wonderful software where i could sync and download my Outlook 2003 contacts to my phone.

Easy i here you say and yes the new phone will sync and download my contacts database all 4700 of them. I only want about 450 of them. The Sony allowed me to select which categories, Family, Friends, Waynes cell etc.

All suggestions welcome many thanks Wayne

wainuitech
12-07-2011, 11:16 PM
Seems yo are not alone - Geekzone post feb (http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=77600)

WayneMiddy
12-07-2011, 11:57 PM
Thats for that wainuitech if feel much better. But i am sure there must be a app out there that will do the job. There seem to be a app for everything else. I have downloaded Andriod Sync Manager but that does not reckonize the categories field in outlook either.

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 08:56 AM
Sync your Outlook contacts with your Gmail account that you're using for Android Market access. Then I'm pretty sure from the Gmail WebUI you can select which contacts you want to be sync'd.

wainuitech
13-07-2011, 09:02 AM
No Idea if This site here (http://www.androidapps.com/) will be of any help or not. If you do a search for sync Email Contacts it brings up a few. May be completely wrong sort of Apps -- Just came across it :)

WayneMiddy
13-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Thanks guys if the Gmail account allows me to sort by my categories i will be wrapped. Cheers for the website wainuitech I hadn't seen that one. The outlook sync apps are the same as on the Andriod Market site and some of the reviews are not that great.

Chilling_Silence
13-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Also, if you just wanna do a once-off, then select the ones in your specific Outlook Categories, then right-click and I'm pretty sure you can export them as .vcf files.

Specify a folder, in this instance, I'll presume you're using c:\contacts

Now, open a command prompt window and type:
cd \contacts
copy /B *.vcf allcontacts.vcf

Now, you can email your phone the "allcontacts.vcf" file and it'll import that in. Whole process takes less than a minute :D