PDA

View Full Version : Easeus Todo Backup

smurf
10-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Has anyone tried this free programme? It appears to do full and incremental backups and I would like to give it a go. However, there is a problem. I tried to create a WindowsPE boot disk but get an error saying that the system temporary directory is not in an NTFS partition. At this point the creation of the boot disk fails. Is there a workaround for this? Thanks for your help. :thanks

wainuitech
10-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Is the partition on the PC formatted to NTFS ?

Tried the program a couple of times (during testing), as for doing backups, they appeared to work OK, but when attempting to put back, sometimes they had actually failed. Backups are NO good unless they are tested and actually do work.

Many people think they are backing up, only to find when its really needed there was a failure - and its to late then.

I do use the cloning portion of Todo sometimes when backing up customers data before reinstalling, it is a lot slower than other programs, but that generally does work, as it clones sector by sector.

smurf
10-07-2011, 11:35 AM
Hi Wainui...nope they are FAT 32. afaIk

wainuitech
10-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Thats why it wont work - they have to be NTFS for the program to do its thing - as it prompted :)

smurf
10-07-2011, 11:56 AM
OK.......so if I have created another boot disk with a different programme I presume that that boot disk will do the trick and I will be able to recover my image or files created with Easeus Todo. Am I right in this thinking?

gary67
10-07-2011, 12:03 PM
I doubt it as each program uses its own propriety file system

wainuitech
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
WinPE wont recover your ToDo backup ( not on its own anyway)

WinPE is the boot portion of the program.

The vendors program then runs from that.On Its own WinPE is very powerful, but all command Prompt. Wikipedia explains it quite well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Preinstallation_Environment) in non technical terms. - with pictures :)

smurf
10-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Thanks Gary.......if the boot disk was created in compatibility terms with FAT32, once the computer was booted with that disk, shouldn't the back up programme be able to restore the backups created? I am struggling to understand the concept here :)

smurf
10-07-2011, 12:11 PM
Thanks Wainui...I'll have a read :)