PDA

View Full Version : 3 monitors with dual graphics cards in SLI

Mcpisik
09-07-2011, 09:45 PM
Hi,
My current pc has 2 good graphics cards running in SLI.
It has two 24" monitors, but we'd like a 3rd monitor.
Is there a way to run a 3rd? There are 4 slots in the back of pc to connect, but as they are bridged (is that what you call it), only 2 work...
Any suggestions?

inphinity
09-07-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes, a 3rd GPU (not connected in SLI, different model from the SLI cards, and PhysX-capable) would allow you to connect additional monitors, but I'm not sure your motherboard will have enough PCIe slots for this.

Mcpisik
09-07-2011, 11:33 PM
Yes, a 3rd GPU (not connected in SLI, different model from the SLI cards, and PhysX-capable) would allow you to connect additional monitors, but I'm not sure your motherboard will have enough PCIe slots for this.
Thanks for replying. I've just updated my signature to match my latest system. Not sure if that helps, but let me know if you think I could add another card? Thanks again...

DeSade
10-07-2011, 01:42 PM
You should look into 3d Vision from nVidia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dv-system-requirements-surround-technology.html

SolMiester
11-07-2011, 12:02 PM
2 Nvidia GPUS can run 3 LCD's fine.....!

inphinity
11-07-2011, 12:13 PM
2 Nvidia GPUS can run 3 LCD's fine.....!

Dual-card SLI officially only supports dual display. Yeah, you can kind of make it work, but it's a right pita and is likely to cause performance issues with the SLI config, so often it's simpler to just get a 3rd card.

To the OP, if you can get a cheap 3rd nVidia card and put it in a spare PCIe x4 or better slot, it should be fine. nVidia's website probably has some more info on supported multi-monitor setups with SLI.

SolMiester
11-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Eh?....are you sure, I know 1 GPU wont run 3 screens, however 3d vision is 3 and requires 2 GPU's....but for 2d?.....

inphinity
11-07-2011, 01:51 PM
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#s1

How many monitors are supported when running in SLI mode?
With GeForce R180 drivers (or later), standard SLI configurations for 2-way, 3-Way, and quad SLI support a maximum of two monitors. Additional monitors (up to 6 monitors total enabled) may be enabled by using either a motherboard GPU and/or a PhysX capable graphics card (GeForce 8 series or higher with at least 256MB of memory) that does not have the same GPU as those that are SLI enabled.

Yes, 3DVision would allow it, but in the OP's signature it says they're only 9800's, which do not support 3D Vision or 2D Surround. Only x60 and above, from the 260 onwards, do, as far as I'm aware.

I may be wrong, but I don't think there's a supported way to output to 3 individual displays with 2 GPUs in SLI pre-3D/2DSurround. Yes, if it was a pair of, say, 460s, you could do it with 3 displays.

SolMiester
11-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Oh, okay...just the Fermi series!

Mcpisik
11-07-2011, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the reply to all above. Will get a 3rd card to get the job done.
Appreciate the input and ideas.