PDA

View Full Version : Kindle WiFi

David Conn
09-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Hi.

I've done all sorts of searching on Google etc.

Simple Question. If I buy a Wifi only Kindle, will it work in NZ ?
I've been told that I need 3G also.

David

gary67
09-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I thought Wifi was just that, 3G is for using on the cellular network as well

David Conn
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
OK. I was probably a bit terse with my question.

My problem is that I want to buy a Kindle ( especially now that I'm disenchanted with Whitcoulls ). The cost difference between a Wifi Kindle and a 3G Kindle is $50 US.

I know that I should be able to connect the Kindle to my home Broadband.

If I purchase an E-Book from Amazon using the Kindle via Internet, is this possible and will it download to the Kindle ?

David

wainuitech
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Wifi will work the same as any other wifi connection - you search for the signal, enter in the password (should be secure) :) and you are connected.

gary67
09-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Just check as often eBooks from Amazon are not available in NZ from what I have heard, ask anyone you know that has one or as many people as you can. Google it even

linw
09-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I have a wifi only Kindle and it is great. You add an account in Amazon, with credit card no., and order it. It will be debited to your credit card and they will register your Kindle to your account.

From the Kindle you can buy books and your credit card will be debited automatically. You're reading in about 40 sec!

There are heaps of free books that are no longer copyrighted - just read War and Peace! (good reading, actually).

A prog called Calibre will change formats so download that. It will change epub books to mobi (Kindle format) for example.

Good luck.

David Conn
09-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Hi linw.

That's what I was looking for !

Thankyou.

afe66
11-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I have the wifi and 3g kindle which I bought when in the uk last year.

Have found I am buying many more books because once I have finished one I dont have to go to a bookshop to buy another. Some of the self publishing authors are producing books that are very good and are excellent value about $5 each. Kindle website itself is still a bit of a mess, easy to find something if you know it exists but not really setup for the browsing for book experience.

Given the choice I think its worth paying the extra for the 3g function. I've used it to buy books when I am traveling and dont have access to wifi or dont want to pay for the hotel wifi option. ie sitting at the beach or stuck at airports. It also has a bare bones browser function where you can browse the internet for free. I use it for webmail.

Bit annoying at the moment that the only drm books you can buy are from amazon, but there are a number of publishers (smaller ones) who release some of their books without drm.

If you are planning on reading in the dark, get the official cover which include a backlight which draws off the kindle battery, simple effective design if a little expensive.

Also another vote for the calibre program which enables you to format shift ebooks, pdfs etc. The most recent version has an inbuild search engine linked to an increasing number of sites/publishers that sell ebook.

afe66
11-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Also Calibre can also take the data from a newspapers website and convert it info a kindle format.