PDA

View Full Version : XP & slimming down security measures.

vandaman
09-07-2011, 03:56 PM
Hi out there,
Longtime since I've visited so forgive me if I tread over trodden ground etc.

In the June 2011 PC World mag there is a section under Disaster proof your PC called "slim down your security measures". It mainly deals with Win7 & only having to have MSEssentials & possibly a Spam filter.

Is this also true for XP systems?

I've got an old P4 with only 512MB RAM but it is RDRAM which is rare as hens teeth or costs a fortune.

I only use the PC for browsing, email, the odd you tube clip etc.
I currently have Avast antivirus, and ZoneAlarm but uses up too much memory (I updated the Zonealarm sometime ago only to find after its min requirements is 1GB RAM & they suggest removing & installing older version & starting from scratch). Definately slowed the PC down. Any suggestions?

gary67
09-07-2011, 05:06 PM
I would switch to MSE and use Windows firewall in your place, I run a couple of old P4's that way just fine although they have a bit more ram but not much

vandaman
23-07-2011, 01:04 PM
I would switch to MSE and use Windows firewall in your place, I run a couple of old P4's that way just fine although they have a bit more ram but not much
Thanks Gary.
I have since managed to buy some RDRAM relatively cheap (2 x 512) as was advertised as server RAM only but research suggested it would work & it does. All is good with browsing etc. now. Might be of interest: I installed Soluto and turns out Avast takes the most time for booting (almost a minute just for this) so probably will change to MS SE at some point.

lakewoodlady
24-07-2011, 12:38 PM
You may only be able to install MSSE as long as you have SP3 on it.

LL