PDA

View Full Version : Contradictory statement !!?? What goes on???

10-10-2001, 07:50 AM
I'm on the net. I get, 'this program has performed an illegal operation' message, and the program closes. I then get 'fatal exception' message. I press 'any key' to continue. I then get, 'Explorer-system resources dangerously low, do you want to continue?' 3 options given. I close. Went and checked my system resources under system information and I have 80% free. So what gives?

I would also like to know where to go to find out exactly how much RAM I have left. Do I need more?

OS-windows 98se
120 Ram, 40Gb.
Computer 7 months old,therefore I don't believe it is extended yet.

Calling enlightened ones, can you shed some light this way, please. Thanks in advance!

10-10-2001, 08:32 AM
S R
This is the sort of thing that tends to go under the heading '**** happens'.
Resources and memory are not entirely related, and some programs have was is called a 'memory leak' or 'resource leak' where they gobble system resources and don't let them go, even after you quit. It could be that.
Alternatively, it could be a program that is still running that has stolen your resources. Either way, the classic line 'shut it down, restart, and see if it happens again' is appropriate.
If it happens again regularly, then you need to start taking a look at what might be the problem. Try to note what software you ran before the problem occurs, think about what you might have recently installed, that sort of thing.
Hope this helps, Rob C.

10-10-2001, 09:21 AM
Hello, to check how much resources are being used, winse has system resouce meter which is in system tools, it is simplified but it should give you an idea how much resouces are being eaten up by windows, programs etc. I found using mem-turbo to tweak the cache files of windows almost stopped completly blue screeens, and 'illegal messages' other programs that will do the same thing are ramilde, rambooster,and cachman
goodluck
Bob

10-10-2001, 10:46 AM
If I may add to my note above, I run WINse and after about a year of constant restarts, and 'illegal etc, I suspected macafee may be the cuplrit, so I took a punt uninstalled macafee, and replaced it with a freebee AVG.antivirus. Since then I'm doing one or no restarts a day.
cheers,
Bob

10-10-2001, 11:11 AM
Ok, when your machine gives you a 'System resources low' error, its not talking about the amount of RAM you have being used, well, not directly. System resources are things like Windows, buttons, icons and the like, and Windows can only handle so many of them at once.
Microsoft extended it somewhat by splitting it into the three different types of resources, GDI resources, User resourses and the third one which for the life of me I cant remember.
Not that this effects the end result at all, you still feel like slapping your computer as you restart ;-)
Having said that, the email notifications PressF1 sends always intrigue me, I cant open them because of insufficient resources... everything else works fine, just not THOSE emails...

10-10-2001, 01:37 PM
Thanks Bob. Where do I find these programs you speak of? Read your other post. I do have AGV anti-virus and Adaware.

10-10-2001, 02:11 PM
programs, can be downloaded from www.download.com, all are freebies with mem-turbo being the exception. it may take a little bit of trial and error to get the right settings, I've found that 'standard system setting'is great. good luck,
Bob

10-10-2001, 03:59 PM
Resource monitor is installed with windows (under acessories/system tools).

My guess is the available resources ran out while running the program, but most were released when it crashed, giving you 80% free. Web browsers tend to do this after a while.

Resource monitor will warn you when they go below 10 percent, so you can avoid the problem, restaring your browser should be enough.

System/User resources will always be a problem, its caused be windows 9x being compatable with win3.1 applications. If your interested a quick search with google should give you a good explanation of what resources are and how limited they are.

Windows NT/2000/XP/etc aren't affected.