PDA

View Full Version : Sony Vegas 7.0 audio problem

Kissingtheautumnsky
07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm not terribly computer savvy, so please bear with me. My problem is with Sony Vegas 7.0, which I'm running on XP with Realtek HD audio. When I work on a project in Vegas, audio is fine. However, when I render the video, the first few seconds of audio are always cut out. If I render in 3mbps with default settings, only the first second or two of audio won't play. When I render in 4.8mbps HD, the first five or so seconds of audio won't play. I thought maybe it was an audio bit rate issue somehow, but if I render at 4.8mbps with audio at 96 kbps, 44,100 Hz (default audio for 3mbps) that doesn't make a difference. Rendering at 3mbps with audio at 192 kbps, 48,000 Hz (default audio for 4.8mbps), it only cuts out the first two seconds as usual with 3mbps. So rending at 192 kbps audio isn't the problem. I assume the issue is with rendering at 4.8mbps, but I know nothing beyond that. I would like to continue rendering all my files at 4.8mbps, so how do I fix my problem? Is there even a way to fix it? Am I making any sense? Please...someone help me if you can. Thank you.

Chilling_Silence
07-07-2011, 06:42 PM
What video codec and container are you rendering with?

Kissingtheautumnsky
08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
What video codec and container are you rendering with?

I'm not entirely sure I know what you mean, sorry. Are you referring to this?:
Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA9.
Video: 23.976 fps, 1280x720, WMV V9 CBR Compression, Smoothness 90.

That's the standard settings for rendering .wmv ver.9 @ 4.8mbps HD.

Trev
08-07-2011, 10:45 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codec
:)

Chilling_Silence
08-07-2011, 10:59 AM
Perfect.

Try not using Windows Media. Use something like h.263 / XviD / DivX instead and see what different results you get :)

Kissingtheautumnsky
09-07-2011, 06:36 AM
Perfect.

Try not using Windows Media. Use something like h.263 / XviD / DivX instead and see what different results you get :)

Everything else I try seems to work fine; it's strictly .wmv for some reason. That is the only file type where I have the option of 1280x720 resolution (what I use all the time now), which is why I've been trying so hard to fix it. Everything was dandy until one day I opened Vegas and just randomly had this issue. Now it won't go away, even after reformatting my hard drive (which was to fix blue screen errors). Is there any information I could give you that might tell you what my problem is?

braindead
09-07-2011, 03:59 PM
You don't give any specs about your system for video/audio. A LOT of recording/rendering problems can be solved by at least a 2-core CPU (preferably Intel) and a good, fast SATA second hard drive. Recording to the same drive as your OS (XP) is asking for trouble.

Sounds like your system is choking on the amount of initial data flow. Do you use a separate sound card (internal or external) or are you using the integrated sound chip on your motherboard?

Kissingtheautumnsky
11-07-2011, 04:02 PM
You don't give any specs about your system for video/audio. A LOT of recording/rendering problems can be solved by at least a 2-core CPU (preferably Intel) and a good, fast SATA second hard drive. Recording to the same drive as your OS (XP) is asking for trouble.

Sounds like your system is choking on the amount of initial data flow. Do you use a separate sound card (internal or external) or are you using the integrated sound chip on your motherboard?

Is this what you need?:
RAM: 2.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max), DDR2 SDRAM, 667.0 MHz
Memory Specification Compliance PC2-5300
Form Factor DIMM 240-pin

Graphics controller: PCI Express x16 - Plug-in card, ATI Radeon HD3650, 256.0 MB Video Memory

Audio device: Realtek HD Audio, using the integrated sound card.

I don't know if it means anything, but recording to an external hard drive made no difference.

Chilling_Silence
11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Here's a good idea:
Take the files, encoded at 3mbps and 4.8mbps and chuck them on another (faster than yours?) PC.

See if they have issues like yours. If they do, then it's an encoding issue. If they don't, it's likely a decoding issue and as braindead says your PC could be struggling to keep up.

That, or make a couple of 'sample' files, upload them to something like Megaupload, and link to them on here for one of the PF1 members to test out for you.

braindead
11-07-2011, 04:39 PM
Hi Kissingtheautumnsky - there are a number of things that can lead to that initial drop-out, and among them is using your onboard mobo audio for intensive data processing or using a crap audio/video PCI card.

My suggestion is to look around for a good quality used or new sound card (either PCI or external) such as the M-Audio Audiophile Firewire or USB card. Prices on these and other brands have come down a lot in the last 2 years and you might be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

Then you can disable your on-board audio and let the new one do some of the heavy lifting. I don't know if your mobo provides Firewire. If so, go for a Firewire card or use a GOOD quality PCI Firewire interface card and plug your external sound card into that. Otherwise get a USB2 or USB3 audio card if your mobo supports that.

Please note: I'm not saying that this is the answer to your problem.

If you're serious about audio/video editing without glitches, do yourself a favour and spend a few extra $$$ for a quality semi-pro card.

OTOH, if you just want to mess around and use what you have, you'll need to optimise your system as much as you can. Google "optimize your PC for video" and work through the suggestions.

Having been down the road of starting off with cheapo sound and video cards, I well know the time I wasted in screwing around trying to "get the elephant to fly".

This (http://www.hv20.com/forum.php) is a good forum to ask questions. A lot of people there use Vegas. Wherever you ask, be sure to give them all the info on your system and what you want to accomplish.

Chilling_Silence
12-07-2011, 09:09 AM
I would have thought that the video decoding would chew through more of the processor if it's not offloading it to the GPU, I'm not sure the 3000-series ATI cards can.

Then there's also the possibility that the HDD is just having too difficult a time loading Windows Media Player as well as buffering the video all at once... :D

braindead
12-07-2011, 02:09 PM
One other thing: get out your pen and paper and make a list of all the specs of your system:

- Mobo
- Graphics card
- CPU
- RAM
- communication interfaces (firewire, USB1, USB2 etc)
- version of Vegas
- other peripheral cards
- hard drive types and number (capacity, rpm, SATA, ATA, USB)
- what audio drivers are currently on your system (ASIO, MME, DirectSound) and which one are you using to record?

For example, you may need to download and use the ASIO4ALL audio driver if your audio is broken up when using either the MME or Direct Sound windows drivers. Once you install the driver on your system it will become an option in the audio driver selections. Then when you hit start an icon will show up in the task bar. You would then need to select it and configure the audio input device if it is not correct.

So much to learn! :) Go one step at a time. Make notes of what you've done in case of troubleshooting.

The external sound-cards, even the cheaper ones, usually come bundled with ASIO drivers. My suggestion is stay away from Soundblaster Live cards. Their drivers are usually written by proto-hominid monkeys and create huge registry bloat = slowed PC.

Kissingtheautumnsky
13-07-2011, 04:27 AM
Here's a good idea:
Take the files, encoded at 3mbps and 4.8mbps and chuck them on another (faster than yours?) PC.

See if they have issues like yours. If they do, then it's an encoding issue. If they don't, it's likely a decoding issue and as braindead says your PC could be struggling to keep up.

That, or make a couple of 'sample' files, upload them to something like Megaupload, and link to them on here for one of the PF1 members to test out for you.

Regardless of what computer I put them on, I still had the issue. So it's probably an encoding problem then? Thanks for all the help, by the way.

Kissingtheautumnsky
13-07-2011, 04:34 AM
Hi Kissingtheautumnsky - there are a number of things that can lead to that initial drop-out, and among them is using your onboard mobo audio for intensive data processing or using a crap audio/video PCI card.

My suggestion is to look around for a good quality used or new sound card (either PCI or external) such as the M-Audio Audiophile Firewire or USB card. Prices on these and other brands have come down a lot in the last 2 years and you might be able to pick one up fairly cheaply.

Then you can disable your on-board audio and let the new one do some of the heavy lifting. I don't know if your mobo provides Firewire. If so, go for a Firewire card or use a GOOD quality PCI Firewire interface card and plug your external sound card into that. Otherwise get a USB2 or USB3 audio card if your mobo supports that.

Please note: I'm not saying that this is the answer to your problem.

If you're serious about audio/video editing without glitches, do yourself a favour and spend a few extra $$$ for a quality semi-pro card.

OTOH, if you just want to mess around and use what you have, you'll need to optimise your system as much as you can. Google "optimize your PC for video" and work through the suggestions.

Having been down the road of starting off with cheapo sound and video cards, I well know the time I wasted in screwing around trying to "get the elephant to fly".

This (http://www.hv20.com/forum.php) is a good forum to ask questions. A lot of people there use Vegas. Wherever you ask, be sure to give them all the info on your system and what you want to accomplish.

Thanks for the help. I optimized my PC, but I still have the same issue. I'll probably just search for an external sound card and see if that solves my problem. If it doesn't, I'm sure the card will at least work better than what I have. I will check out that forum in a bit; thank you for the link...and for the future forum-posting tips.

Kissingtheautumnsky
13-07-2011, 07:00 AM
Ok, now I'm confused again. I tried rendering the beginning of a video I've been working on. I used 4.8mbps HD .wmv format as usual. I had the same audio problem as always (cutting out the first few seconds). So then I decided to do a trial with the same settings, but that seemed to not have the audio issue. When I tried my other project again, there was the issue. To see what I'm talking about, I've saved and uploaded the files to megaupload.

This is the clip with the audio issue: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JK30UB14

This is the test clip: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GOX7VL8R

Here is an older video of mine where audio wasn't an issue (just for comparison; you don't have to watch it all): http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BRKU7GL0

They were all rendered @ 4.8mbps HD (Audio: 192 Kbps, 48,000 Hz, 16 Bit, Stereo, WMA9.
Video: 23.976 fps, 1280x720, WMV V9 CBR Compression, Smoothness 90).

Thank you in advance if anyone is willing to help.