PDA

View Full Version : MS Office Bus 2010

bk T
06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Comparing this item from PB Tech (http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=OFFMST1146579&name=Microsoft-Office-Home-and-Business-2010-Retail-Pac) @$435.85 which is for 1 user 2 PCs; and, this from DSE (http://dicksmith.co.nz/product/XS1866/microsoft-office-home-amp-business-2010) @$499.00 which is (I think) for 1 PC only.

Are they actually the same product or they are different products? They look the same to me, though.

As for the PB version, am I right to say that this Office can be installed on 2 different computers owned by the same owner?

wratterus
06-07-2011, 11:11 AM
They are both the same- licensed for 2 PCs. The PKC version is the 1 PC.

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=OFFMST1146549&name=Microsoft-Office-Home-and-Business-2010-PKC-%28PC-At

That's it there.

CYaBro
06-07-2011, 11:13 AM
They are the same product.
You are allowed to install it on one desktop and one laptop which are owned by the same person.

bk T
06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The one from PB is stated clearly that it's for 1 user, 2 PCs; but nothing is mentioned in the DSE version.

Also, the PB ver is cheaper, maybe something is hidden somewhere?

Iantech
06-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Ascent has it for $412.31
http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=387562

1 user, 2 devices.

The dse one is also for 1 user 2 devices, someone has asked the question under the Q&A tab.

06-07-2011, 12:30 PM
They are the same product.
You are allowed to install it on one desktop and one laptop which are owned by the same person.

All a bit confusing. Its MS's fault for making the whole licensing issue so complex
Only Retail, not OEM can be install on 2 devices.

It would be cheaper to buy OEM, Im sure someone will sell it to you.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/products/office-2010-frequently-asked-questions-HA101674631.aspx#Pricing_Office_2010_5

Can I install Office Home and Business 2010 and Office Professional 2010 on more than one PC?

It depends on what you purchase—a Traditional Disc or Product Key Card. If you purchase a Traditional Disc retail license of Office Home and Business 2010 or Office Professional 2010, the retail license terms allow you to install, activate, and use Office Home and Business 2010 or Office Professional 2010 on your primary PC and your portable device such as your laptop. This license is for your use exclusively.

"Can I install Office Home and Student 2010 on more than one device?"

If you purchase the Office Home and Student 2010 Product Key Card, you can only activate and use Home and Student on one PC or device. For more information on what type of license you have purchased and to obtain an overview of your licensing agreement, visit the Microsoft Software License Terms (MSLT) for Office 2010

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 12:46 PM
So what is confusing about that?

wratterus
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
Seems logical(ish) to me.

wainuitech
06-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Another thing to keep in mind, with the PKC As per the link supplied by wratterus, you only get the product Key, there is NO MEDIA.

You either have to download the trial from Microsoft, or have it installed previously on the PC.

"Bang for Buck" -- the retail is cheaper in the long run, you get the Media and can install on two PC's.

Its not confusing at all, OEM = Single PC, Retail = two pc's.

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Perhaps EULA's should be written in TXT speak?

But possibly the EULA could be issued as a separate printed document so you could read same before opening the shrink wrap too?

And in French, Chinese, Hebrew and etc which you can get before purchase. Probably be the size of your local phone book but who cares so long as you understand it.

06-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Its not confusing at all, OEM = Single PC, Retail = two pc's.

ahh no. Retail DOES NOT = 2 pc's. See it is confusing

Try telling that to you clients. Ive had many an argument over this
"no, you cannot install Retail Office SBE/Pro on 2,3 PC's"
"no you cannot install OEM on more PC's"

"but DSE told me I could install it on 3 pc's"
"No, its the home/student edition thats good for 3pc's"
"Well install it on all 3 anyway. I paid for a 3pc version, DSE said I could install on 3"

Perhaps if MS got some balls & actually enforced all this when you tried to activate, the problem would quickly go away. They could easily matchup install keys to PC's (via network card MAC) to allow re-install only on that PC.
But they allow activation to go through on multiple PC's for single licence.
Some of my clients know this & refuse to buy extra office product for new PC's .

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
ahh no. Retail DOES NOT = 2 pc's. See it is confusing

Try telling that to you clients. Ive had many an argument over this
"no, you cannot install Retail Office SBE/Pro on 2,3 PC's"
"no you cannot install OEM on more PC's"

"but DSE told me I could install it on 3 pc's"
"No, its the home/student edition thats good for 3pc's"
"Well install it on all 3 anyway. I paid for a 3pc version, DSE said I could install on 3"

So read the EULA for the version you have or are installing then. Or is that too difficult?

And I would not rely on what I was told by a third party anyway.

wainuitech
06-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Just to clear it up COMPLETELY - I just rang Microsoft, and heres the Official answer.

OEM any version has ALWAYS been 1 PC or Laptop and only on a NEW PC/Laptop, pre existing devices = NO (knew that anyway)

The retail Versions:

Home and student = 3 Users any devices.( knew that)

Home and Business or Professional:

1 Desk top + 1 Laptop = Yes
Two LAPTOPS = YES
Two desktops = No

Many people still call a laptop a PC, so thats where it can come confusing.

06-07-2011, 01:59 PM
So read the EULA for the version you have or are installing then. Or is that too difficult?

actually, in real world situations, installing for customers, yes.
I get given a CD & told "use this" . Then I need to try & explain why it cant be used on a 2nd PC, bearing in mind the cust didnt want to hear any of it.
or, install anyway, then when OGA or similar gives activation/licensing errors
3 months later, cust say's: hey you installed it, fix it.

SO I will tell the customer, THEY need to read the EULA (I allready know its allmost allways 1 licence= 1pc)
Yeah right

Try even telling customers the reason Office no longer works is because it is a pirated/torrent version. The amount of squirming & bitching from customers because MS de-activated the pirated copies, is something to be seen.
If you pay 1/5 of the retail cost on trademe....... :lol: :lol:

Snorkbox
06-07-2011, 02:05 PM
actually, in real world situations, installing for customers, yes.
I get given a CD & told "use this" . Then I need to try & explain why it cant be used on a 2nd PC, bearing in mind the cust didnt want to hear any of it.
or, install anyway, then when OGA or similar gives activation/licensing errors
3 months later, cust say's: hey you installed it, fix it.

SO I will tell the customer, THEY need to read the EULA (I allready know its allmost allways 1 licence= 1pc)
Yeah right

Try even telling customers the reason Office no longer works is because it is a pirated/torrent version. The amount of squirming & bitching from customers because MS de-activated the pirated copies, is something to be seen.
If you pay 1/5 of the retail cost on trademe....... :lol: :lol:

But. If you print the relevant section of the EULA and shove it in their face and refuse to install which is what I have done there is nothing confusing is there?

06-07-2011, 02:12 PM
But. If you print the relevant section of the EULA and shove it in their face and refuse to install which is what I have done there is nothing confusing is there?

:thumbs: :thumbs:
good idea, will do next time.
Cheers

I doesnt help that the IT company's i work/worked for has a policy to follow the EULA strictly .
Then sometimes get told by the boss to install anyway (eyes closed)

wainuitech
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
But. If you print the relevant section of the EULA and shove it in their face and refuse to install which is what I have done there is nothing confusing is there? Thats exactly what I do as well. I wont install illegal software.

If they still jump up and down, I say - OK, lets call Microsoft, I get my phone out and give them the number - Now YOU tell or explain to MS why you want to install illegal software, if MS say its OK, then I'll do it.

Only ever had one person do it, thought I was bluffing - and MS take down your name and email before answering any questions. Guess what MS Said :rolleyes:

gary67
06-07-2011, 03:21 PM
I have had friends ask me in the past to install pirated office so while they weren't looking I installed open office from my flash drive, then get them to try it.

When they complain it's not MS office I say but you wanted a free office package and this is one of only two I know of the other being Libre office, and then tell them I won't install pirated copies. At least three of my friends decide to stay with OO